JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New One For All Xsight Remotes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regne v

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: New One For All Xsight Remotes Reply with quote

I'm surprised nobody post about them.

Xsight Touch is available in stores from mid-October at 199.00 € (RRP), Xsight Colour at 149.00 € (RRP).

More info at remotecentral.

unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooooh.... a new challenge!
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk about a challenge, take a look at these visually challenging remotes they also announced.

http://remoteshoppe.com/index.php?itemid=749
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai wrote:
Talk about a challenge, take a look at these visually challenging remotes they also announced.

http://remoteshoppe.com/index.php?itemid=749

Man, those are ugly, Europe can keep them. Smile
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the new OFA Web Setup (EZ-RC) like Harmony? Looks like JP1 has finally gone mainstream, and UEI will profit from the thousands of hours of free software/hardware development they got from this group.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
Man, those are ugly, Europe can keep them. Smile

They sure are!

MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like something from bang & olufsen. When I saw a B & O remote for the first time, and it stood up, It scared the hack of me. Smile
ejorgensen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Notice the new OFA Web Setup (EZ-RC) like Harmony? Looks like JP1 has finally gone mainstream, and UEI will profit from the thousands of hours of free software/hardware development they got from this group.

How do you figure? You think they didn't already have their own programming hardware and software before outsiders decided they wanted control too?

They might benefit from protocol upgrades and device files, or they might not even want to. If a protocol upgrade or a device file we generate isn't perfect, nobody looks bad. If we provided a protocol upgrade or device file and UEI turned around and provided it to a customer and it didn't work right, they look bad.

I imagine that they'd prefer to work on their own. Having worked in the software division of a company that makes things that does stuff, I know that's what my bosses and the people behind every company we did business with would generally prefer.

I'm not saying that's a universal preference - open-source software is widely used in all sorts of industries. Two or three times as often as you might expect.

The use of freely available information and data, on the other hand, not so much. Not without careful vetting.

If they get a lot of requests for a particular remote code, they can just pick up the phone and ask the manufacturer. We don't have that luxury.

If a new protocol becomes important, their programmers can add it just as fast as ours can, if not faster.

The tools and data here provide a service that UEI was unwilling to provide, not unable to provide.

The fact is that there is likely much duplicated effort, and that this is just a necessity of having a customer-facing business.
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noone has said whether it is a JP1.....
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ejorgensen wrote:
How do you figure? You think they didn't already have their own programming hardware and software before outsiders decided they wanted control too?

Of course they did, but it's nothing like IR. All indications are that they can't create anything like IR on their own, possibly due to lack of will rather than a lack of expertise. At one time they had offered up a JP1.x comm dll, which they never delivered, because they couldn't, I suspect. If they could, why wouldn't they have caught up with logitech long ago.

I realize they are the experts on their own product, and JP1ers have reverse engineered it. I'm sure they're very good at interfacing it with the industrial programming hardware on their assembly line, but interfacing it with PC's and the like is apparently not their forte. Even some of their protocols aren't that great. The group's DirecTV protocol, for example, is much better than UEI's. And the extenders JP1ers have come up with are unbelievable.

Admittedly, this is a lot of speculation on my part. They may very well have the expertise as you say, and may not have drawn from the group at all. But the possibility that they might profit hugely from the efforts of this group just irks me a little.

On the flip side, I'm greatful they've been as cooperative and supportive as they have with the JP1ers. I should learn to keep my mouth shut.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting info found on another site:
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=149722
It says the xsight will control directv boxes directly via RF.
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have we found out if these are JP1 yet, and what flavor if so?
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got one. NOT JP1! (it has a set of EIGHT pads acessible via the battery compartment, not labelled JP-anything. Not inclined to open it up just yet). Look and feel are nice - not unlike Harmony ONE. It's very shiny - a fingerprint magnet.

First impression, I like it, especially the color buttons. Have not yet tried the USB-PC interface. Programming on the remote directly is fast and easy - but can only do devices, no macros or activities. Thaose require the PC interface.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From UEI's point of view, there's no need for a JP1 connector as this remote has a USB computer interface. Our next project is to try and hack into the remote via the USB port.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a device that you can use to capture the data being sent through a USB cable, or have any ideas about how we could make one? The idea being that we'll need to capture the data being sent into and from the Xsight remote in order to reverse engineer it and come up with our own tools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: