JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Device Lookup Tool
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: New Device Lookup Tool Reply with quote

Rob suggested that I put together some information that will be helpful to JP1 users who have lost their OEM remote or don't have a learning remote. If nothing can be found in the files section here, or at remotecentral, or at the manufacturer's site, this would be another resource of information to start an upgrade.

JP1 Device Lookup Tool

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! My jaw hit the floor when I opened this tool the first time. It is beautifully designed, works fast, and seems to tell you everything you could want to know about a JP1 situation. I can't believe the amount of information that is packaged in this little utility.

Tommy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've added a link to the tool in the main menu above, to the right of the File Search link.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is still a work in process, as I gather and clean my data.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool tool. Thanks Vicky Smile
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very good. I'm posting a link to it (if you don't mind) to the UK/Europe/(and Oz at the moment) Toppy site (Topfield PVRs) as people there are forever asking about alternative remotes, mainly for their PVR but also to control other devices. There are some fairly bright hardware and software people frequent that site and if I evangelise enough they might pop over here to offer help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure Underquark. Please note that right now, you are ending up at my development site, but eventually Rob will be hosting this. The permanent site will be www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/lookup .

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

Brilliant tool. I have found a bug though. On your Device lookup results you have a column called Yes with several Yes entries in it. I'm guessing the header should be something else.

EDIT: One more thing. The RCA RCRP0FB remote model number should be RCRP05B
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,
I haven't seen this, and I've been using the tool quite a bit.

Do you have an example?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I tried to explain the YES column on the overview page.

If it is present, it says Yes, otherwise its blank.

I was looking for a small heading because screen real estate is premium.
I also left it blank if it wasn't present simply because for me its a lot easier to read if its there.

Would it be more user friendly if it spelled out "In?", "Exists" or "Found",. Do you want the word "No" spelled out too? I only spelled out the Yes but left the others blank make it easier for me to read, but if user's can't interpret it, what is the use of that?

I also think I might have to do something to make this more friendly to the users that have the LCD's and very explicit categories. It says Audio/xxxx, but with the fancy remotes you might have several categories to check if you are not quite sure if its a CD or RCV or AMP. If you look up the brands, it will give you more of a clue, like HOME or MISC or CD.... I have some URC8910s, but I have never used them. Might be a good time to look and see how this could be made more intuitive.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Would it be more user friendly if it spelled out "In?", "Exists" or "Found",. Do you want the word "No" spelled out too? I only spelled out the Yes but left the others blank make it easier for me to read, but if user's can't interpret it, what is the use of that?

Since this was my mistake, on a page in which there were no Yes's so the column was blank, I do think a negative mark is needed as well. How about a tick and a cross, with a column heading of "In"?

vickyg2003 wrote:
I also think I might have to do something to make this more friendly to the users that have the LCD's and very explicit categories.

Yes please. I thought the tool didn't cover Home Automation until I discovered it was classed as Audio. Not exactly intuitive to me! Smile I think the problem is that you have made it so easy to use that people (me, at least!) don't think of needing instructions. And that's not damning with faint praise - it really is a wonderful tool.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

I understand now that you explained it. Exists is clearer to me, if it fits ok. Yes or blank inside the results is fine the way it is. If I had read the overview page more carefully, I would have understood.

Another thing that might be a little confusing is if someone has a remote that takes 5 digit setup codes, where the first digit is the device type, how would they know what to append to the setup code? Maybe note somewhere indicating Cable = 0, TV = 1, Video = 2, Audio = 3. The only problem is I don't think any of the source info you're working with tells you if a remote uses 4 or 5 digit setup codes, does it? Only a few of the latest remotes like the radio shacks are the only one's using 5 digit device codes, AFAIK.

3FG,

Yes is the first column in all the search pages.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
3FG,
Yes is the first column in all the search pages.

That's what I get for using the pronoun "this". I was responding to the phrase "a column called Yes with several Yes entries in it". As far as I've seen, in Device lookup there is either one Yes entry or no entries in the Yes column.

Now I realize that you were commenting on the header. I too found this confusing at first, but I haven't been able to think of a short heading that's any better. Perhaps no heading and entries of green check marks or Red X's would work.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Dave wrote:
RCA RCRP0FB remote model number should be RCRP05B

Thanks I have trouble with 5 and F. They look too much alike, and they are both 6th in a sequence, so I often confuse them. (That probably gives you way too much information on how my brain works Laughing )

Quote:

Graham wrote:
Since this was my mistake, on a page in which there were no Yes's so the column was blank, I do think a negative mark is needed as well. How about a tick and a cross, with a column heading of "In"?

I've changed the Yes column to "In?" and I've explicitly spelled out Yes,no so hopefully that will be more clear, although its a little cluttered for me.

Quote:

Dave wrote:
Another thing that might be a little confusing is if someone has a remote that takes 5 digit setup codes, where the first digit is the device type, how would they know what to append to the setup code? Maybe note somewhere indicating Cable = 0, TV = 1, Video = 2, Audio = 3. The only problem is I don't think any of the source info you're working with tells you if a remote uses 4 or 5 digit setup codes, does it? Only a few of the latest remotes like the radio shacks are the only one's using 5 digit device codes, AFAIK.

I have a lot of that information. Anyplace where the header says "uses 5 digit setup codes", its because I know what the leading digits are. I know that for the RatShack and the Oneforall, but I don't know that for some of the OEM remotes. The remote user, would have better information than I have.

I am looking for ideas hear. I suppose after the Yes (oh yeah thats In?) column, I should give the Digit for the 5 digit codes, the Category for the LCD remotes, and the default button type for the standard 4 digit codes if I know them.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed my mind. Since it became apparent that the tool needed more information for the fancy remotes, I dropped the yes/in? column and replaced it with an "access method" column. If it says "n/a" the code is not in the remote. Otherwise it will specify the prefix digit for 5 digit remotes, the prefix letter for slingbox, the associated device key for the typical remote, or the selectable device type for LCD remotes.

For the OEM remotes, this information is not as accurate as I'd like it to be. If I haven't read the manual, I can't be sure how the setup codes are assigned.

I'm particularly confused by the dreambox remotes, and the Tivo remotes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: