JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to do..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:40 am    Post subject: What to do.. Reply with quote

Over the past few year I have enjoyed the support many of you have given the "JP1" projects!!

But with the very limited supplies of supported remotes along with the change in format to '.2 & .3' which require new/different cables at a much higher cost due to the lack of serial / USB only connections on my computer systems..

I am thinking of replacing my "HTPro" and my "RCA 810"s {both which I have run out of memory and have started having sticky/non-working buttons} with the "L-H" line of remotes!

Can anybody here help point out why I might want to stay with the "JP1" and purchase a "1.3" cable and remote for almost the same cost of a refurbished "L-H" remote that has the "colored fuction keys"?

:David
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David, Have you finished that upgrade for the Insignia NS-BDLIVE01? I haven't seen an upgrade for it.

Quote:
Can anybody here help point out why I might want to stay with the "JP1" and purchase a "1.3" cable and remote for almost the same cost of a refurbished "L-H" remote that has the "colored fuction keys"?

Is the L-H one of the Harmonys? Some people seem to like them.

I suppose the answer to this would be, what drew you to JP1 in the first place. For me, the high rate of failure of my OEM remotes makes me want to stick with the lower cost remotes. I've had 6, count them, 6 OEM remotes bite the dust! While the JP1 remotes don't seem prone to having the boards break because they have a more substantial case, any remote is still prone to a ruptured battery, or a spilled beverage. So low cost remotes are extremely importnat to me.

I also like having his/her remotes in every room. Again that is going to be a problem if I moved to an expensive remote.

Now that I've entered the world of extenders and special protocols, it would be very difficult to pry me away from JP1ish remotes. I am addicted to that LKP feature.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
DavidEC2955

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hi David, Have you finished that upgrade for the Insignia NS-BDLIVE01? I haven't seen an upgrade for it.

..No.. I did not finish as I have run out of memory on the two remotes that I was wanting to use it with....

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:
Can anybody here help point out why I might want to stay with the "JP1" and purchase a "1.3" cable and remote for almost the same cost of a refurbished "L-H" remote that has the "colored function keys"?

Is the L-H one of the Harmony? Some people seem to like them.

I suppose the answer to this would be, what drew you to JP1 in the first place. For me, the high rate of failure of my OEM remotes makes me want to stick with the lower cost remotes. I've had 6, count them, 6 OEM remotes bite the dust! While the JP1 remotes don't seem prone to having the boards break because they have a more substantial case, any remote is still prone to a ruptured battery, or a spilled beverage. So low cost remotes are extremely important to me.

I also like having his/her remotes in every room. Again that is going to be a problem if I moved to an expensive remote.

Now that I've entered the world of extenders and special protocols, it would be very difficult to pry me away from JP1ish remotes. I am addicted to that LKP feature.

Right now I have two things.. the cost of the JP1.3 USB cable... is almost the same price as a refurbished "Harmony 5xx/6xx" with a 90day warranty ...If I kept to the JP1 universal remotes.. and my current JP1.0 remotes I have run out of memory due to lack working built in codes and sticking/worn out keys, so I would have to move to JP1.3...

--David
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, for the same price, I'd go with the harmony. With harmony's LCD with soft keys and activities, you don't really need LKP's. But definitely keep your old JP1 for teaching your harmony discrete codes and macros. The harmony database has a lot of discretes but doesn't have them all. Also, most harmony's can only do 5 step macros and their top of the line models can't do macros (logitech calls them sequences) at all. So to get around those limitations, you can program the macros on your JP1 remote and teach the whole sequence to your harmony as one big raw learn.

So a cheap harmony plus the JP1 you already have is probably the most functional, cost-effective solution.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
With harmony's LCD with soft keys and activities, you don't really need LKP's

I'm not quite sure what a soft key is, but for me hard buttons are a huge advantage. I have one touch screen remote, and absolutely HATE it. Hard button remotes rule!

Quote:
Also, most harmony's can only do 5 step macros and their top of the line models can't do macros (logitech calls them sequences) at all. So to get around those limitations, you can program the macros on your JP1 remote and teach the whole sequence to your harmony as one big raw learn

I can't imagine going to a macro-less remote. Nobody unfamiliar with my TV's 78 page manual, could change the inputs. I've watched that 13 step t macro run for 10 years now, and I still have difficulty doing it manually. With my LKP I just tell my users they need to press and hold the device button to switch over for viewing.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Softkeys are a set of hard buttons whose descriptions are on the LCD. You can have several pages of these functions. This overcomes a major limitation of JP1 remotes, being able to look at the remote and know a button's function, rather than memorizing it or looking at a cheat sheet.

The macro limit is a little misleading. Harmony has two distinct kinds of macros - activities or sequences. Sequences can be only 5 steps. But activities have essentially unlimited steps. Your 13 step macro would be an activity on a harmony. Activities always power devices on/off, select inputs, and assign key groups to different devices (like transport keys, volume keys, menu keys, etc.). Any macro not in this category would need to be a sequence. For example, it takes several steps on my tv to toggle captions, so I make that a sequence. I have several favorite channels which are sequences too.

On my JP1 remotes, I put my "activities" like watch tv, watch dvd, etc. on LKPs like you do. But other macros aren't quite as intuitive since there aren't always good places to put them that makes it easy to remember their functions. And when I have a lot of functions on lots of shifted keys, I have to use my cheat sheet. On a harmony you can use the LCD to label stuff like that and throw out your cheat sheet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: