JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Which protocol to use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skoopman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Which protocol to use Reply with quote

My original remote is a General Instrument (Motorola). I want to create a new function in keymaster but I'm not sure which protocol to use, G.I. 4DTV or G.I. Cable. Should I just do trial and error?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial and error isn't very hard for a two way choice, but you must have more information on which you intend to base your "new function". That information probably would give the protocol as well if you understood it.

If you can give a better description of what you're trying to do, I can give a better answer.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GI 4DTV is for a series of C-band satelite set top boxes. So most likely it will be GI Cable. Having said that, you would normally find that out by learning a command from your OEM remote, unless you don't have a learning remote.

Creating a new function in KM Master certainly reqires that you know the protocol but you would alo have to define the command with device number and OBC or EFC posted at www.hifi-remote.com, decoding the learned command using IR, or decoding a Pronto or RTI TT file posted at remote central. With exception of a known EFC, if you are using the latest version of the tools the decoder will decode the protocol and device number as well.

BTW, it is always a good idea to mention your remote model
skoopman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the OFA 8910 doesn't have a page down button for menus, I wanted to learn the page down, get the EFC code then create a new button in keymaster that uses the learned EFC code. I just don't know what protocol to use for the device upgrade.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many device uses the same code for page up/down that they use for channel up/down. It's worth a try.

Also, if you have the 8910 controlling some or most of the functions of your cable box, you could tell us what setup code you are using and then we could probably tell you everything you know.

If I had to guess, I'd say you are using setup code CBL/0476, which has the EFCs documented at http://www.hifi-remote.com/cgi-bin2/ueic.cgi?cbl_0476
If that is the case, you can just use keymoves to add the 2 missing functions (page up and page down, EFCs 172 and 176 respectively), rather than create a complete upgrade for that.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)

Last edited by gfb107 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
skoopman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, that sounds easier.

thanks
DGG

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its setup CBL 0476 (GI Cable), then the Page Up/Dn EFCs are 176 and 172 respectively.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: