JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR Patch To Fix Narrow 'Raw Data' Address Column

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: RMIR Patch To Fix Narrow 'Raw Data' Address Column Reply with quote

One thing that's been bugging me for a long time about RMIR is the fact that the column for the memory address in the table on the "Raw Data" page is never wide enough to display the whole (4-digit hex) address. What's even worse is that that particular column is not re-sizable, unlike some others in RMIR, so I'm always stuck hovering my mouse pointer over one of that column's entries to see what's really there.

After struggling for a bit with the Java source code, I finally figured out a way to fix this. I know Greg would have been able to fix it much faster than I did, but I was determined to finally investigate and actually fix an RM/RMIR problem myself, regardless of how trivial that problem is (er, was). Smile

Here's a simple patch to the 'RawDataTableModel.java' file which seems to fix the problem for me (running RMIR 1.96 on Linux):
Code:

140c140
<       return "0000";
---
>       return "0000: ";

Essentially, I just added a colon and a space after the 4 zeroes, in case it's a little hard to see.

Greg, can you please apply this patch before the next release of RMIR? Thanks!

P.S. I don't think this means that I'm suddenly qualified to be an RM/RMIR developer, but at least I'm trying.... Wink

Bill
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give v1.97 a try.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a confirmation.... I've now tested the new v1.97 release and the problem is indeed fixed! Thanks!

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, these 3 cases are similar but less egregious than the one mentioned in my initial post (i.e. because they're in a column which can be re-sized by the user).

But to save the user from frequently having to manually re-size these columns, could you please apply these tweaks before the next RM/RMIR release?

Code:

SettingsTableModel.java:

65c65
   <       "00", "A Setting Name", "A Value"
   ---
   >       " 00 ", "A Setting Name", "A Value"

DeviceButtonTableModel.java:

121c121
   <       "00", "Device Button", "__VCR/DVD__", "Setup", "Label", "Seq"
   ---
   >       " 00 ", "Device Button", "__VCR/DVD__", "Setup", "Label", "Seq"

DeviceUpgradeTableModel.java:

63c63
   <     "00", "CBL/SAT__", "Setup", "A long description"
   ---
   >     " 00 ", "CBL/SAT__", "Setup ", "A long description"

Put simply, I've merely added a space around both sides of the "00" in all 3 cases and I've also added a single space after the "Setup" in the 3rd case.

For those unfamiliar, this affects the width of various columns on the "General" and "Devices" pages of RMIR.

Actually, anywhere there's still a '"00"' in the table settings is probably a candidate for widening, assuming it's a column with any possibility of going past 9 entries. Cutting out the cases I mention above and the irrelevant cases, here are the files in v1.97 that might be best fixed now too:

Code:

DecodeTableModel.java:      "00", "Protocol Name", "Device", "Device", "OBC", "Hex Cmd", "EFC", "Miscellaneous"
KeyMoveTableModel.java:    "00", "__VCR/DVD__", "_xshift-Thumbs_Down_", "__VCR/DVD__", "Setup", "00 (key code)", "FF FF", "xshift-CBL/SAT", "A reasonable length long note"
LearnedSignalTableModel.java:      "00", "__VCR/DVD__", "_xshift-VCR/DVD_", "A longish comment or note", "1024", "99999", "Protocol", "Device",
MacroTableModel.java:    "00", "_xShift-VCR/DVD_", "A reasonable length macro with a reasonable number of steps ",
ProtocolUpgradeTableModel.java:    "00", "01CC", "00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F", "A resonable length note"
SpecialFunctionTableModel.java:      "00", "_VCR/DVD_", "shift-Thumbs_Up", " ToadTog(0,ForceOff) ",

I didn't list those files earlier because I haven't patched them or tested with the widened columns, but I suspect it's safe to widen all of them to "_00_" (with spaces for '_') without much testing. Whether to do that now or not is your call.

Thanks!

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:
... and I've also added a single space after the "Setup" in the 3rd case.
The other column widths appear to have been fixed in RMIR v1.98beta3 -- thanks! But I'm guessing you didn't make the code change referred to above because I'm still having to widen the "Setup Code" column on the "Devices" page. In fact, every time I load a new '.rmir' file with a device upgrade, it bounces back to the too-narrow setting and I have to widen it again to see the last 2 digits of the device "Setup Code". I'm hoping this was just an oversight and that the final RMIR v1.98 will include that fix too.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: