JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

DecodeIr.html
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: DecodeIr.html Reply with quote

Split from IR 8.01 thread...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=79698#79698

mathdon wrote:
I have also included the file DecodeIR.html and put a new entry on the Help menu to open it.

I was perusing the 'DecodeIr.html' in this new RC5 release and I see a few (very) minor problems.
  1. The 3 "48-Nec*" links don't work. I found this to be a "case" problem -- the string in the "name=" specification is uppercase while the string in the "href=" specification is 'title' case. Make the "name=" text match and the links work again.
  2. The "Dishplayer" link goes to the "CanalSat" entry. Inspection of the HTML shows that the "Dishplayer" link target (<a name=Dishplayer>) is somehow generated too early, intermingling with the "CanalSat" entry. I don't know what your original source for this data was, but you might want to check it since it looks like you used Microsoft Office to generate the HTML and it somehow mangled this entry.
  3. All of the links with a question mark in them seem to be broken. Not being a web/HTML guy, I don't know what's wrong there, but maybe someone with more HTML expertise could take a look and comment. I tried a quick test to "escape" the question marks, but that didn't seem to work.

I didn't check every protocol link, so maybe there are other problems, but those are the ones I noticed.

I was initially going to suggest putting that huge single-column list into a multiple-column table for better readability, perhaps using this 3-column example as a template:
Code:

<table>
      <tr>

<td>
      <ul>
         <li>Item 1
         <li>Item 2
         <li>Item 3
         <li>Item 4
      </ul>
      </td>

<td>
      <ul>
         <li>Item 5
         <li>Item 6
         <li>Item 7
         <li>Item 8
      </ul>
      </td>

<td>
      <ul>
         <li>Item 9
         <li>Item 10
         <li>Item 11
         <li>Item 12
      </ul>
      </td>

</tr>
   </table>

But if you're auto-generating and not hand-editing the HTML, it may not be as easy, so ignore that thought. Smile

Thanks for all your hard work on 'IR.exe'!

Bill
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bill. I did indeed use MS Word to edit John Fine's original HTML file. It's a long time since I hand-edited HTML - way back in the time of version 1 of the HTML spec - so I thought tools like Word would be easier and would work properly nowadays. But I'll look at the raw HTML and try to put these problems right.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update on the DecodeIR.html problem. I have re-edited John Fine's original HTML file, this time by hand rather than with MS Word, and all seems well. I'll do some more testing tomorrow and if there are no further problems I will post revised zip files for DecodeIR v2.37 and IR 8.01 RC5 with the amended DecodeIR.html. There won't be any other changes in these revised postings.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention in my original post that I was testing with the Konqueror browser under Linux. When I went back and tested under Firefox (still in Linux), item #1 and #2 were still a problem but item #3 (the links with question marks) was no longer a problem. This tells me that either Firefox is using some work-around for non-standard HTML or Konqueror is failing to correctly work with standard HTML. I'm not smart enough to know which it is, but either way I don't think it behooves you to give it any more thought. Sorry for failing to mention/detect this discrepancy earlier.

mathdon wrote:
I have re-edited John Fine's original HTML file, this time by hand ...
While you're editing John Fine's HTML (or is it John's fine HTML? Wink), please supply the missing closing double-quote character after this part: 'alternate name "RC-6a' -- it's seriously messing up my editor's colorization of the raw HTML text from that point to the end of the file. Thanks!

Bill
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR 8.01 RC5 with amended DecodeIR.html posted

I have now corrected the errors found by WagonMaster in DecodeIR.html (including the missing double quotes) and have re-posted IR 8.01 Release Candidate 5. DecodeIR.html is the only file in the package that has been changed. I have also re-posted the separate release of DecodeIR version 2.37 with the same correction.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Word html format is huge with all sorts of needless sections which some people and browsers have trouble reading. The simple editing is the way to go. Kind of a sorry affair.
Regarding what WagonMaster asked, about some indentations (I assume by categories) can be done with nested ... because adding spaces doesn't work.
<ol> ...
<li> first level
<ol> ...
<li> second level
<li> second level
<li> second level
<ol/> close second level
<ol/> close first level
Browsers such as IE and Opera know what to do about indentation then.
I only did this once, hope you get the drift.

EDIT: please ignore every word starting with <ol> because that's not what was asked for, and my syntax is irrelevant anyway.

Last edited by ElizabethD on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Regarding what WagonMaster asked, about some indentations (I assume by categories) can be done with nested ... because adding spaces doesn't work.
Appreciate the input, Liz, but I think you might have misunderstood what effect I was going for. The HTML I posted above is not about indenting to multiple levels. It makes 3 nice columns of 4 items in each column, like this (but with nice "bullets" in front of each item), vertically preserving the alphabetical order of the protocols but making better use of the available page space:
Code:

Item1   Item5   Item9
   Item2   Item6   Item10
   Item3   Item7   Item11
   Item4   Item8   Item12

That just seems far easier to read than a monolithic column of items, especially when there are actually 113 protocols all in a single column!

Bill
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you Bill and I agree. I have just edited the file as you suggest and updated the zip.

You can see the results here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/johnsfine/DecodeIr.html
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I understand you Bill and I agree. I have just edited the file as you suggest and updated the zip.

You can see the results here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/johnsfine/DecodeIr.html

As is often the case, I'm having a horrible time downloading any files larger than about 40KB from this site, so I haven't been able to confirm what's in the zip file you updated, but the file at the link above has one of the same problems I mentioned initially (which Graham fixed), so I'm concerned that you may have used the wrong baseline HTML file for your update, Rob. Be aware that Graham also had made some additions (new protocols?), so if you used anything other than his hand-edited source, your file is probably out-of-date.

The problem I refer to is this one:
WagonMaster wrote:
The 3 "48-Nec*" links don't work. I found this to be a "case" problem -- the string in the "name=" specification is uppercase while the string in the "href=" specification is 'title' case. Make the "name=" text match and the links work again.

Hope I didn't open a can of worms with that multi-column suggestion! Embarassed

EDIT: Now I'm really confused. I just took a look at the file that I downloaded earlier today ('DecodeIR_DLL_237.zip') which I thought was supposed to have the fixed 'DecodeIr.html' and I see that the fix for the problem I refer to above is not in that file! Since I was unable to download the IR-801rc5 file at all today, I don't know what was in it earlier today or now. Confused Confused Confused

Bill
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Graham's zip and used the file that was in it.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I downloaded Graham's zip and used the file that was in it.
Yeah, that's sort of what I expected after my edit. Sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion. I suspect Graham will take care of this soon enough.

Bill
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took Graham's resubmitted file. File contents are the same as in Rob's file (except some extra site-specific thingies). I added Rob's table stuff lines into Graham's file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7235
I fixed the 48-NEC links.

Rob, that's a nice look.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I fixed the 48-NEC links.

Looking good, Liz, thanks! Now when Graham comes on-line tomorrow, he should be able to just pop your(/Rob's) file into the IR801RC5 and DecodeIR zip files and all will be well. Smile

Bill
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have fixed the case with the 48-NEC items.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, including DecodeIR.html in IR.exe has certainly stirred up a hornet's nest! And it's been out there in the big wide world for years, almost un-noticed apart from by a few afficionados!

I haven't looked at all the suggestions/additions/improvements yet, but there is also another version of the file. Vicky has run it through her wonderful professional HTML tool and found many infelicities in the HTML code, mostly stemming from John's original file. She's corrected them and posted the result here (info sent via PM). I would like to use that as the basis for any further improvements, so will do a grand comparison effort on everything and try to put it all together.

WagonMaster wrote:
Now I'm really confused. I just took a look at the file that I downloaded earlier today ('DecodeIR_DLL_237.zip') which I thought was supposed to have the fixed 'DecodeIr.html' and I see that the fix for the problem I refer to above is not in that file!

Sorry, I thought the 48-NEC problem was due to my editing with MS Word and so had been removed when I went back to work from John's original file. These links in the "corrected" file I posted worked OK for me with MSIE. It looks as if the problem must have been present in John's original.

I didn't do the multi-columning of the index as I thought it would make it much harder to insert new items in alphabetical order in future if tags had to be inserted at every third position in the list, and it didn't seem to be a big issue. I never dreamed what a Pandora's box I was opening. (As well as a hornet's nest Smile ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: