JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Loading multiple copies of a protocol?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenyarnall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Loading multiple copies of a protocol? Reply with quote

I've got two devices that seem to benefit from increased signal duration, my dish pvr and my TV. I created upgrades for both of them via keymap master using the device combiner protocol. I don't want to do any combining, I just want to use the duration feature.

Now, when I do this, for each device a protocol is created that I have to paste into ir. However, these protocols both have ID 144. They are different, however, depending at least on the fixed data of the combined protocol(s).

My question: I'm assuming that including multiple protocols with the same ID is a problem? Under this assumption, I solved the problem by changing one of the protocols to have id 145, and editing the first byte of the associated device to 45 (instead of 44).

This seems to work, but I thought I'd ask, especially since KM doesn't allow the protocol ID to be edited. Is my solution necessary/correct?

Thanks,
Ken
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That method works, but takes more room in upgrade memory than the recommended method.

1) When you want more than one device combiner upgrade, create the fixed data as if you wanted to combine all the devices of all your device combiner upgrades together.

2) Save that incomplete KM file (no functions nor buttons etc.) as a base version (which doesn't get installed to IR.)

3) For each combiner upgrade you want, load the base version and define the functions and buttons you want and save it under a different name.

4) Install ALL of the device upgrades from the step 3's to IR, but only install one of the protocol upgrades.

Others reading this thread, who want multiple combiner upgrades for reasons other than the one described above, may find it cleaner to define all the functions in step 1 and just do the buttons in step 3. (It all depends on how the upgrades relate to each other and what makes sense to you).
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
4) Install ALL of the device upgrades from the step 3's to IR, but only install one of the protocol upgrades.
One thing to be careful of here is Rob's Fav/Scan key patch for some remotes. Not all of the device upgrades will trigger the inclusion of this patch in the protocol. As you work on each upgrade, make a note of the length of the device combiner protocol upgrade. When installing the protocol upgrade, use the longest one, if they are different sizes.
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, a quick question...
I have an 8811 and multiple device combiner upgrades I want in one remote configuration (and am running out of upgrade memory), but they do NOT relate to each other at all (for example, TV 0047 and CABLE 0477 combined, and then TV 0060 and VCR 0121 combined). Is this still possible by installing only one protocol upgrade? I haven't tried this because I can't get to my remote right now, but it seems to me that installing only one protocol upgrade will only make one of the above examples work at one time.
ti83programmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what, after staring at the post for a while, I just realized that if you do all the functions in step 1, you'll end up with one good protocol that you can use.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's about the size of it! Smile
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ti83programmer wrote:
You know what, after staring at the post for a while, I just realized that if you do all the functions in step 1, you'll end up with one good protocol that you can use.

I'm not certain, but I think you're confused about what information goes into the protocol upgrade vs. the device upgrade vs. neither.

In the device combiner, the device information goes in the protocol upgrade. That is the table of which byte2 values will select which underlying protocols and fixed data. You want that shared by all your device combiner upgrades.

The functions sheet information goes into neither the protocol upgrade nor the device upgrade. It only exists to feed information to the buttons sheet. It will make no difference to the result on the remote whether you share one big function sheet or have a seperate one for each upgrade.

The buttons sheet information goes into each device upgrade (after the functions sheet info has been used to replace the function names used by the button sheet by hex commands). Any function not used on the buttons sheet doesn't go into the upgrade.
kenyarnall

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation, John. I'll experiment! That would leave me with maybe enough memory for one more upgrade, which is never bad.

Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: