JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Advice on opening Atlas 1056?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentzel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Advice on opening Atlas 1056? Reply with quote

I'm planning on cracking one of these open to add the learning components.

I've opened many remotes so the basics are no problem, but just wondered if there are any gotchas I should be aware of with the Atlas. Also it would be helpful if anyone can point out where around the perimeter the latch points are located.

Thanks.

Dave
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help you identify latch locations, because it has been a long time since I opened mine up, but I definitely opened up the first one I ever got, and it was pretty straightforward - having previously opened up other JP1 remotes. So although I cannot tell you where the latches are, I can tell you that there are no "GOTCHA"s.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I definitely opened up the first one I ever got,
Embarassed I almost forgot about that.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
atlas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on opening Atlas 1056? Reply with quote

gentzel wrote:
I'm planning on cracking one of these open to add the learning components.

I've opened many remotes so the basics are no problem, but just wondered if there are any gotchas I should be aware of with the Atlas. Also it would be helpful if anyone can point out where around the perimeter the latch points are located.

Thanks.

Dave

I added learning to a couple of these recently and opening them was quite easy compared to the cinema 7 remotes. If I remember correctly I used a #0 or #1 straight screwdriver starting about 1/2 inch down from the bulge(round section).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then they must be easy, because the Cinema 7 is the easiest to open of all the JP1 remotes that I've messed with. The hardest ones are the old Cat34 (ReplayTV) remotes and the URC-6131n family of remotes.
gentzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Turned out to be pretty standard, with a set of tabs just below the curve, a set near the top of the curve, and a few others.

I'll try to get pictures up for future reference.

Yeah, the 6131n was an absolute nightmare. I pretty much destroyed the first one I tried. Luckily it wasn't a layout I was too fond of (much prefer the original 6131) so I never had to do a second one.

(And thanks to the moderator (Rob?) for correcting my title... and I've proofed books for publishers! Embarassed )
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really worth the effort now with the new OARP055 (which has learning)?
I know - you do it because you can!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMO the Atlas has a slightly better layout. I haven't held the OARP05s yet, but the bottom two rows on the OARP05s are a little too small and out of the way. But appearance wise the Atlas loses any contest.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gentzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tennessee titan wrote:
Is it really worth the effort now with the new OARP05S (which has learning)?
I know - you do it because you can!

That's certainly part of it. Plus the 1056 can easily be found for about $6 shipped.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll tell you what, I agree that the Atlas' appearance isn't the greatest, but I really like the layout and can do almost all I need by feel. Also, although you would not expect it, if you get a SILVER Atlas OCAP URC-1056, for some reason it LOOKS a 1000% better than the usual black ones. (Just open up RM and cycle through the various Atlases on the Layout page!)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was based on STANDARD learning in the new OFA...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentzel wrote:
(And thanks to the moderator (Rob?) for correcting my title... and I've proofed books for publishers! Embarassed )

You're welcome! Cool
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:
IMO the Atlas has a slightly better layout. I haven't held the OARP05s yet, but the bottom two rows on the OARP05s are a little too small and out of the way. But appearance wise the Atlas loses any contest.

I've held the RCA version (RCRP05S) and must say that I still think that I like the Atlas OCAP. I happen to have a Silver OCAP with backlit keys and it's really close to the ideal remote for me.

But this was only my first impression. I think that the device buttons are a bit too small and the keys at the bottom of the remote are a bit hard to get to. All in all though, the RCA is not a bad feeling remote and it does LOOK nicer than the Atlas'.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Quote:

Oh, and back to the original topic. The OCAP is pretty easy to open but why? You can regularly find full learning OCAPs on ebay for under $10 shipped. Do you really want to do all of the work unless you're doing it just for the value of having said you did it?

(oh, and no comments from the peanut gallery about how much time is consumed in writing extenders for these remotes!)

-bill
gentzel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
Oh, and back to the original topic. The OCAP is pretty easy to open but why? You can regularly find full learning OCAPs on ebay for under $10 shipped.

When I purchased mine, there were no learning OCAPs on eBay (at least none that I could confidently identify as such). Nor do I see any right now. While I'm sure they do indeed float by on eBay, "regularly" might be a bit optimistic.

And non-learning ones are plentiful, cheap, and the components to add learning are about a buck (plus a bit for shipping).

Plus it's fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: