JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FAV button on URC8017 ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rondar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: FAV button on URC8017 ? Reply with quote

Trying to configure my new-to-me URC8017.
Is it possible to program the FAV or HOME THEATER buttons? The HT button would be a good "turn everything on/off" button.

If so, how?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the cable and the software?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, the 8017 is the Canadian version of the 8012 (but in any case it is a a very close relative of the 8012).

Those remotes were mostly made without JP1 connector and without eeprom, so you might not be able to use the JP1 cable.

Without installing "extender" firmware via the JP1 cable, the FAV and Home Theater buttons basically do only their original designed functions and you can't program them to do anything else.

With the JP1 cable and a 2KB or larger eeprom, installing the extender is easy and then it is easy to program those buttons to do what you want.

I expect Vicky remembers those details better than I do, but is waiting for the bad new that you don't know anything about cable, jp1 connector nor eeprom, before telling you that without those you can't reprogram those buttons.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And has the remote been modified for JP1 use (ie, a 6-pin and EEPROM chip need to be added).
rondar

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a JP1 cable (6 pin), using old software (IR6.15 and KM8.35).
It has a JP1 connector, but not sure about the EEPROM (I bought it from jhuang on here, so hopefully he'll chime in). IF not, can I tell w/out opening it up?

It's definitely the Canadian version.

I haven't been able to program a few buttons yet: HOME THEATER, FAV, MOVE, PIP, SWAP. The rest have been programed with codes to support my old Panasonic ShowStopper. I'd really like HOME THEATER & FAV, since the're right in the middle of the remote.

I don't think the extender firmware was available when I configured my last remote, so I'm not familiar with it. If it was, I must have missed it or not needed it with the Radio Shack that I had. Want to point me in the right direction?

I've been hesitant to upgrade to a newer IR & Keymap simply because the old one works. I have an old Win98 laptop who's only use is now to reprogram my remotes. None of my other PCs have parallel ports in them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rondar wrote:
It has a JP1 connector, but not sure about the EEPROM (I bought it from jhuang on here, so hopefully he'll chime in). IF not, can I tell w/out opening it up?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11095
jhuang wrote:
These are modified with 2k EEPROMs and they are red backlight ones.

rondar wrote:
... using old software (IR6.15 and KM8.35). I've been hesitant to upgrade to a newer IR & Keymap simply because the old one works.

That's crazy, there have been tons of really cool improvements, by two different authors, to IR since version 6.15, so you really should upgrade to 8.01. KM (and RM) have both had many updates since then too. The current KM is 9.17.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: