JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR 8.0 with Windows 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know from first hand experience that it hurts, but you soon get over it with a system that is 10-20 times as fast, and can do things you wouldn't have even thought possible 5 years ago!
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got with the times I just bought a Logitech Harmony 670 off fleabay for $29 I hope it as fun to use/program as my RS 15-2116. I really learned something about IR and codes with the JP1 interface
Thanks I will probably just keep the remote but I also have a spare computer with XP on it so I could program my remote
gregnash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the full RTM version of Win7 Pro on my desktop and build 7100 RC Win 7 Ultimate on my laptop and have not run into any problems with either machine. One thing you will have to realize with drivers and such is that Win7 is still not quite recognized yet, so when installing a new program I would recommend going into the properties->compatibility mode->Win XP SP3 or Win Vista SP2 compatibility. This has alleviated about 99% of my issues.
dre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running into the same issue - I can't get the Parallel interface to work in IR 8.01, when using Windows-7 64-bit. It was working with Vista 32-bit.

When selecting "Interface --> Driver Status..." I originally got the error:
Quote:
Serial/Parallel Error: Unable to open Service Control Manager. Please make sure you have Admin rights.

Ok. That's easily fixed. Although I'm already logged on with an Administrator ID, I can simply right-clicking and selecting 'Run as Administrator'. That got rid of the above error message.

Except, now, I get the error (when clicking "Interface --> Driver Status..."):
Quote:
Serial/Parallel Error:
Problem with NT port driver:
StartDriver: Unable to start service.
This driver has been blocked from loading. Please make sure you have Admin rights.

After some digging around, it looks like there's a problem with gwiopm.sys. If I check the Security log (Run 'eventvwr.exe' and select the 'Security' log to check the Security Event Log), I see an Audit Failure Event:

Quote:
Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error.

File Name: \Device\HarddiskVolume2\temp\JP1 Project\IR801\gwiopm.sys

I did a file system check, and everything looks kosher. I replaced gwiopm.sys, and no joy. Same error.

Question - Does a 64-bit version of this driver exist? If so, can it be made available?

I've also read that Vista / Windows-7 64-bit enforces a more rigourous security regime, including ensuring that the hardware layer is properly abstracted at all times. If IR requires native / direct access to the parallel port, it may be that Vista is denying access to the gwiopm.sys driver. Any thoughts? Or am I blowing smoke?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

PS. I'm running on a home-grown PC, the platform is a Gigabyte EP45-DS3R, Q6600, 4GB ram, with a on-board parallel port.
dre

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just to follow up with my previous post, I "downgraded" to Windows7 32-bit (from Win7-64bit). The Parallel Interface works with IR again!

So, I'm going to stick with Win7-32bit.

I'm curious though - has anyone had any success using the Parallel Interface with any 64-bit version of Windows (XP-64, Vista-64 or Win7-64)?

Thanks,
/ac
roberthunt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know I get exactly the same problem under Windows 7 x64 on my desktop. I built a serial JP1.x interface which connects to a Prolific Serial to USB adapter. I checked the security logs in event viewer and get the same gwiopm.sys error.

I then tried in on my Samsung NC-10 which is a Intel Atom (32-bit processor) based netbook running Windows 7. It works fine as long as I run IR.exe as administrator. It's handy to keep a 32-bit system around for these sorts of things. I had a problem with another Serial to USB adapter recently with an FTDI chipset and had to use the netbook as I couldn't locate a 64-bit driver.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dre wrote:
I'm curious though - has anyone had any success using the Parallel Interface with any 64-bit version of Windows (XP-64, Vista-64 or Win7-64)?
Don't hold your breath. There isn't and never will be a 64-bit version of gwiopm.sys.

On the other hand, 64-bit drivers do exist for FTDI USB/Serial interfaces HERE.
hwiggers

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: IR and windows 7 Reply with quote

I tried to update my old 15-2103 which I hacked to have a parallel port interface. Like others I found the parallel port grayed out. This is what fixed it.
As administrator, set the program to run in XP SR3 compatibility mode. Do this for all users and just to be safe, run it with administrator privileges. The port turns black and upload and download work like a champ.
Cheers,
Hans
marchewd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically, if you have upgraded to a 64 bit operating system, and you are still using a parallel port JP1 cable, you are screwed, correct? It was working perfectly on my Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine, but I upgraded it to Win7 Ultimate 64 bit. I don't even have a XP or Vista computer anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use an RCA RCU810 remote, if that helps.

Thanks,
Dan
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marchewd wrote:
So, basically, if you have upgraded to a 64 bit operating system, and you are still using a parallel port JP1 cable, you are screwed, correct?

For now, yes you are, but we are working on it.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
marchewd wrote:
So, basically, if you have upgraded to a 64 bit operating system, and you are still using a parallel port JP1 cable, you are screwed, correct?

For now, yes you are, but we are working on it.
This problem is not limited to the parallel cable, right? Currently, even the USB cable for JP1 (EEPROM) interfaces doesn't work with 64-bit VIsta or Win 7.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything EEPROM remote related is currently broken with 64-bit OS, but we will have either a hardware or software solution soon.

Actually, now that I think about it, the problem with the 64-bit systems is that Delcom hasn't provided a driver, so maybe the parallel and serial cables would still work, assuming you have a 64-bit machine that still has those ports.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Rob, the posts 3 and 4 above yours suggest that the parallel cable WON'T work. So I don't know - I have no parallel ports on my Vista machine and am not able to test it. The USB of course, would be nice to have that sofware solution rather a hardware one that I saw in a different thread, but anything that works will do.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: IR and windows 7 Reply with quote

But this post seems to imply that you can get the parallel port to work:

hwiggers wrote:
I tried to update my old 15-2103 which I hacked to have a parallel port interface. Like others I found the parallel port grayed out. This is what fixed it.
As administrator, set the program to run in XP SR3 compatibility mode. Do this for all users and just to be safe, run it with administrator privileges. The port turns black and upload and download work like a champ.
Cheers,
Hans

marchewd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get the parallel port to work in Windows 7 64 bit, however, it blanks out my remote then comes up with MEM FAULT. If I do not have the remote plugged into the cable, it says interface not ready. I love my RCU810 and do not want to change it, but not having a 32 bit operating system that I can run IR is going to be hard to deal with! LOL. Hopefully a solution comes out soon!!! Thanks for all of your help Robman.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: