JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA OARP05S
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikek wrote:
Flipping the connector and temporarily killing the remote is repeatable. When I flip the connector and do a download on my other remote it bricks the remote--no buttons work at all.

That doesn't surprise me too much. I haven't thought it through at the lowest level, but I suspect you're accidentally putting your JP1.3 remote into 'tool'/I2C mode (which is activated via pin 5 normally), which is a mode that is to be avoided. I suppose it's possible that some of the signals you sent to the remote while in 'tool mode' may have corrupted something, but I'd thought that in most cases where someone inadvertently connected the JP1 connector upside-down that battery removal and/or a '981' reset cured the problem.

mikek wrote:
Any other ideas?

I'd suggest that you start a new thread in the hardware section with a detailed description of the problem. Bear in mind that many won't have read your posts here, so be thorough in your description or judiciously cut 'n' paste from this thread!

Having more hardware experts on the problem can only help. There may be no recovery at this point, but it cannot hurt to ask.

Be sure to tell us what type of interface you have (self-built or purchased, and from which vendor), operating system you're using, etc.

One thing I'd say up front... When debugging these sorts of problems, I'd temporarily stop using 'IR.exe'. It's a longer explanation than I can give at the moment, but it's really doing a lot more than you want happening. A simpler utility like the 'jp1xtest.exe' I mentioned earlier will prove useful here.

Bill
R2-M0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone gotten the pause protocol working for these remotes yet?

I tried generating the appropriate protocol/device upgrades from RemoteMaster. But my remote locks up and stops responding the instant I try to trigger one of the pauses. Have to perform a fresh upload to get it going again.

I did notice that protocol 01FB is already listed in the 31793179 RDF. And when I don't include the RM generated protocol, my remote doesn't lock up. But it also doesn't seem to noticeably pause either, so I'm not at all sure what to make of that.

This is the first time I've tried setting up pauses via RM, though, so I'm more than willing to believe that I'm just mucking something up.
mikek

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This remote is great. I can finally retire my RCA RCU810.

You can program macros on the device buttons so I got all my equipment turning on and going to the proper input by just mashing the proper device button.

I did have problems programming macros on all the other buttons.

I wasn't able to program macros on other buttons through IR.exe, but I still could through the remote itself. I had to delete macros on the button before I could add a new macro.

I programmed the power button to shut off all of my equipment.

I love this remote.

-mk
dailyglen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a newbie and looking at this remote. Can you record macros to the power buttons without JP1? What is a shifted-power button? I don't see a shift key.

Thanks.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Setup" is the shift key. Shifted-power would be a short press of setup followed by a short press of power. You can assign one command to power and another to shift-power, with or without JP1. Shifted functions are useful because they essentially double the number of commands you can have on the remote, and they don't interfere with the key's primary function.

You can assign macros to any keys except setup and the device mode buttons without JP1. This is true of most JP1 remotes. Only Atlas and a few other cable remotes have power button restrictions. With JP1, you can assign macros to the device mode keys and shifted device keys. If you are familiar with harmony "activities" like "watch tv", shifted device keys are great places for "activity" type macros. So you'd put "Watch tv" on the Shift-TV button. If/when an extender is created for this model, you could put such an activity on long press TV or double press TV as well.

A few other buttons have some special macro features documented elsewhere in this thread.

HERE are some instructions for programming shifted functions, macros, etc. without a JP1 cable.

If you do get a cable, you can use the learning feature of the remote and analyze the learned signals much better than with lirc.
dailyglen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mdavej,

Your help is really amazing! I went out and bought a RCRP05B remote and am testing it out. Since I'm using it with MythTV/Homebrew IR receiver I'm trying to find a code that enables all the buttons on the remote (eg day+, day-, PIP CH+, On Demand, etc). So far I found the CBL codes of 1376 and 1887 do a pretty good job. But then I would like to find a TV that has PIP with channel changing in PIP and uses all the other keys. Ideally the protocol would be the same for all the buttons so I only need to configure Lirc for 1 remote (and it would be less confusing not using punch-through). If there isn't a single device that uses all the keys on the remote then I guess I could move keys over to the device and then have all the keys under one device.

I was able to use the "Lookup Tool" to find out that CBL code 1887 uses the "Panasonic (old)" protocol and there is a TV with that protocol too but it doesn't support PIP and a few other buttons.

If you have any recommendations on which way to go, please advise. I'm really happy with the remote. Thanks for your excellent help.
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The default cable mode has all buttons active. I created my own dvr code for mythtv using all the buttons and some shift buttons, but found the default cable mode has more than enough buttons than I really need. All the buttons you mention are active. Here's my lircd.conf for it.

# Please make this file available to others
# by sending it to <lirc@bartelmus.de>
#
# this config file was automatically generated
# using lirc-0.8.3-CVS(default) on Wed Jan 21 16:07:10 2009
#
# contributed by w.newell@verizon.net
#
# brand: ofa-cable-1376 (Motorola)
# model no. of remote control: RCA RCRP05B
# devices being controlled by this remote:Everything IR.
#

begin remote

name ofa-cable-1376
bits 16
flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
eps 30
aeps 100

header 9015 4400
one 550 4409
zero 550 2172
ptrail 530
repeat 8980 2197
gap 99400
min_repeat 1
toggle_bit_mask 0x0

begin codes
power 0x5006
rewind 0x7808
play 0xD802
forward 0xB804
record 0x8C03
pause 0xF800
stop 0x380C
skipback 0x3C08
skipfwd 0xFC07
guide 0x0C0B
menu 0x9806
info 0xCC05
exit 0x480B
ok 0x8807
up 0x2C09
down 0xAC01
left 0x6C0E
right 0xEC06
list 0xBC00
vol+ 0xB00C
vol- 0x7004
mute 0xF008
ch+ 0xD00A
ch- 0x3002
1 0x800F
2 0x4007
3 0xC00B
4 0x2003
5 0xA00D
6 0x6005
7 0xE009
8 0x1001
9 0x900E
0 0x0000
input 0x280D
aspect 0x0203
A 0xE801
B 0xE40E
C 0x1406
D 0x940A
pip 0x4403
swap 0xC40D
move 0x2405
pipch+ 0xA409
pipch- 0x6401
day- 0x9C02
day+ 0x1C0A
pg+ 0x5C0C
pg- 0xDC04
ondemand 0x580A
fav 0xA805
last 0xC803
live 0x7C0F
dash 0x6809
enter 0x080F

end codes

end remote
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailyglen wrote:
Hi mdavej,

Your help is really amazing! I went out and bought a RCRP05B remote and am testing it out. Since I'm using it with MythTV/Homebrew IR receiver I'm trying to find a code that enables all the buttons on the remote (eg day+, day-, PIP CH+, On Demand, etc). So far I found the CBL codes of 1376 and 1887 do a pretty good job. But then I would like to find a TV that has PIP with channel changing in PIP and uses all the other keys. Ideally the protocol would be the same for all the buttons so I only need to configure Lirc for 1 remote (and it would be less confusing not using punch-through). If there isn't a single device that uses all the keys on the remote then I guess I could move keys over to the device and then have all the keys under one device.

I was able to use the "Lookup Tool" to find out that CBL code 1887 uses the "Panasonic (old)" protocol and there is a TV with that protocol too but it doesn't support PIP and a few other buttons.

If you have any recommendations on which way to go, please advise. I'm really happy with the remote. Thanks for your excellent help.
Hopefully wnewell's post helped you out because I don't really understand your question. I think you're saying you want every button to transmit something, but you don't care what. In that case, follow the instructions I linked for copying a key and put any functions you like on the empty keys. But I don't know why you'd want to do that. If you're looking for any particular missing commands or devices, post a new code search in the code search forum using the template so we have all the details (model #'s, other upgrades you've tried, etc.). Once you download the JP1 tools like RM and KM, you can load an upgrade file for your device and manually add any missing codes to the buttons of your choice (usually).
dailyglen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, wnewell's response is what I am looking for. Much thanks. The one issue with CBL code 1376 is it doesn't have skip forward (top right of play) ... which is very useful in MythTV to skip past flagged commercials (with End or z).

I was wondering what people do when their equipment gets out of sync (eg one devices is off when it should be on). How do people handle this scenario? Is this were a JP1 cable could help?

I'm still trying to determine if I should get a JP1 cable.

Thanks.
wnewell

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailyglen wrote:
Hi,

Yes, wnewell's response is what I am looking for. Much thanks. The one issue with CBL code 1376 is it doesn't have skip forward (top right of play) ... which is very useful in MythTV to skip past flagged commercials (with End or z).

I was wondering what people do when their equipment gets out of sync (eg one devices is off when it should be on). How do people handle this scenario? Is this were a JP1 cable could help?

Thanks.

All buttons, including the skip forward button, are active in cable mode 1376. And they are all named in my lircd.conf. with the names I gave them. I have that button mapped to the D key, although I don't use it as I've also got the D button mapped to the D key. Like I said, more buttons than I really need. I've got the day+ key mapped to the End key, and the day- mapped to the Home key. You can map them anywhere you want, and also change the keys function in the key editor of mythtv.

Newer remotes have lots more learning memory than previous ones, so a JP1.2/3 cable isn't needed as much with them. Using partial working codes and learning you can probably get everything you want on it without a cable. Cables are nice if you want to create your own device codes though. That's what I did for mythTV using all the buttons on the 10820 remote since i couldn't find a code that activated all the buttons on it.

If your devices get out of sync I'd just get them back in sync with the individual modes. But I use a macro to turn everything on and off, so it's not likely to happen often.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dailyglen wrote:

Thanks.
There are 2 ways to handle out of sync issues.

One is to use discrete on/off commands to avoid the problem altogether. No matter how often you send discrete on, for example, the device will never turn off. Same goes for discrete off. It will never turn your device on. So you can never get out of sync with discretes.

The other is to track the on/off states of devices. This is only necessary with devices that don't have discrete on/off, (these toggle only devices are called TOADs). With a cable and an extender you can use the toadtog protocol to track device states in your macros. The RCA doesn't have this capability ... yet.

You can usually add discrete commands without a cable, but a cable makes this and all other programming much easier.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, no....

I feel an extender coming on for this remote. Hopefully the Atlas extender won't be a huge porting issue.
wnewell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any way to get another device mode key, or a macro that could put the remote in another setup code? I've got all the real keys filled and need one more device. key. I've assigned the upgrade to dev6, but can't find a way to use it.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you need is a macro with the dev4, 5 or 6 command in it. That will put it in those device modes. For example, you could put a second DVD player on dev6 by putting a macro on shift-DVD (or any button you like) with dev6 as the only command. Of course you'd need to assign the proper setup code to dev6 on the general tab.
wnewell

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
All you need is a macro with the dev4, 5 or 6 command in it. That will put it in those device modes. For example, you could put a second DVD player on dev6 by putting a macro on shift-DVD (or any button you like) with dev6 as the only command. Of course you'd need to assign the proper setup code to dev6 on the general tab.

That's what I tried, but none of the dev(x) show up in the available command list using rmir. Maybe I should try ir under wine.
Nope, they don't show up in ir 8.0 either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: