JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA OARP05S
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "problem" with the JP1.3 remotes. Its just that I can understand the assembly language that the JP1.2 remotes use and have better supporting tools. I can make a JP1.2 remote do anything I want. I work with a few friends with disabilities and I've needed to do things to customize remotes to make them more accessible.

I've been giving the remotes to my friends, but now that I'm looking at a bigger user group, I'd like to find a decent lowcost remote that could be purchased by the user.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have faith in you Vicky. I firmly believe that you can do the JP1.3 remotes too if you put your mind to it Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't pull her away from HCS08 remotes, she's the primary expert on those puppies now. We've already got experts on S3C8/S3F8 remotes! Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the JP1.2 remotes have a lot of experts. Mike. Binky and Graham are all JP1.2 devotees too.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Ellen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't one of those guys do an extender for the 1.3 remotes too? I admit that I have been away from the forum for a while and so am not up on who has been doing what.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclemiltie, Bill, has done all the Atlas remotes, the Comcast remotes and the 4 RS remotes. He's definately the JP1.3 extender expert!

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Actually the JP1.2 remotes have a lot of experts. Mike. Binky and Graham are all JP1.2 devotees too.

Yeah, but you're dedicated, all of those guys play with other processors too.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I have any choice after this exchange? Laughing

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=59438#59438

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just testing you back then, and btw, you passed! Smile
Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RCA RCRP05B remote arrived today. The OARP05S was backordered.

I must say, I do like the looks of it. I'm really digging the black. It's a little on the long side. But it's nice and narrow. There is a good sized bulge on the back where the two AA batteries would sit. I think the weight of it will be very good once batteries are loaded. The layout isn't as good as that on the old style URC-6131 (which I think has one of the best layouts with the VOL, CH, PVR and transport buttons all in the center of the remote). But it's on par with the newer URC-6131N. It has an advantage over the 6131N, 6820 and 8820 because it doesn't have those hard squared off edges that those remotes have. It has nice curved edges more like the older OFA remotes.

Here are a couple of pics:

I couldn't get a good picture, but inside that spot where you see the 6-pin connector, it says JP3. So Vicky, I'm thinking Rob was correct about these being JP1.3 remotes.

The opening around the 6-pin connector is very tight. A standard 6-pin IDC connector with strain relief will not fit. Even without the strain relief, the side connector thingies that the top cable clamp fits into will prevent the IDC connector from sliding down onto the pins on the right hand side. I think one will have to use something like what the WagonMaster mentions in his thread here to fit inside the small cavity where the 6-pins are. I'm going to go thru my junk parts box. I think I might have an old connector that I can hack up and make fit in the space.

Last edited by Ellen on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:46 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics. It looks to be just a tad bit smaller than the atlas because they moved the two keys that were next to the OnDemand keys, to be on the bottom row and squeezed the ondemand key up between the vol & ch keys. I find the bottom row to be a bit difficult to use, but all in all its a very nice looking remote.

As far as the tighness goes, I took a dremel tool and removed most of the edges that run to the board from my radio Shack remotes. Doesn't look all that good, but its useful.

Its a very tempting remote. Compared to the the Atlas, its down right beautiful. The one thing I don't like is the black buttons on black background. I don't think I could read those without holding them under a light. I can see the Atlas keys because they have multi color keys.

I take it there is no backlighting.

OARP05S OA - ONEFORALL S-Silver
RCRP05B RC - RCA B-Black.

I'd be very surprised if these were not the same remote.

Ellen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,

You are correct, no back lighting. Black on black will likely be a problem in very dark rooms. I'll have to see if that is an issue for me. I don't think it will be because I operate my remotes mostly by feel for routine stuff like channel change and volume. The buttons on this remote are VERY small, especially those PIP and macro buttons at the bottom. I think anyone with big hands will probably not be comfortable with it. But I'm often told I have little girl hands so that will probably be less of a problem for me. Only time will tell.

I don't think I can bring myself to cut into this remote. If there is nothing in my junk box I can hack up, I'll be placing an order with Mouser or Digikey or Jameco for something like this.

I also suspect that this RCA and the OFA remotes are one and the same, one in silver and the other in black. Will confirm that if the OFA ever comes off backorder.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PIP buttons look to be the size of the pip row on the 15-135. However on the 15-135, the guide,menu,info,exit,Audio, Surr,Center,Rear buttons are all that size too.

I see you have the 7800 too. I sure wish someone would come out with a remote like that again. That is a remote that was really well thought out. I can do that one by feel alone.

tennessee titan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it has 5-7 less keys than the Atlas, about the same as the 1067. But it is 5 device....
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like it has 5-7 less keys than the Atlas

No they are just arranged differently. I think it has one more key than the Atlas OCAP, which will probably make it a pain to extend with xshift keys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: