JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't upgrade Atlas 1056 for better Pioneer DV525 DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
He's trying to use the "Pioneer DVD" protocol. RM wants to call it $017E (in order to preserve the real $007E executor) but there is already a UEI executor called $017E in his remote, so he wasn't getting a protocol upgrade from RM, so we wanted him to manually add the protocol to make sure that his upgrade was using the right executor.

However, we later discovered that his RM upgrade doesn't have any buttons assigned, so that's at least one of the root causes of the problem.

Right, and I am suggesting that the way to approach using a different executor in RMIR as it exitst today is to edit the device upgrade, not to try to add a protocol upgrade.

Anyway, not having functions assigned to buttons is guaranteed to produce a device upgrade that won't control the device.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
csete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. You are correct. I was thinking of the description of how to interact between RemoteMaster and IR for device upgrades... not protocol upgrades. In that case, the patch I submitted for protocol upgrades may be pretty close.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Csete,

Since you were able to post your IR file, can I assume you've got IR running? If so, you should now be able to copy the device upgrade from RMIR to IR.

Rather that recreate the device upgrade that's already in your RMIR file, you can simply edit the upgrade in RMIR (this is equivalent to launching RM). Now go to the output tab and follow the directions I linked to earlier.

Or you can export the upgrade from RMIR as a .rmdu file, and load it into RM as explained in those instruction. Again, just edit it, then click the Export button.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

csete,

If you are still confused about how to pass device and protocol upgrades from RM to IR, please take a look at the "Output" tab in RM.

You click on the little clipboard icon for the device upgrade (that copies the device upgrade to your clipboard), switch to IR's Devices tab, click on "Add", and paste the contents of your clipboard into the large open window in the popup panel, and click "OK".

Repeat for the Protocol upgrade.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
csete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. The links were helpful and I do know how to proceed with RMIR and IR. I will hopefully have some time to do that tonight. I work from home (and thus the reason I could update the forums during the day), but something like that is going to take more time than I have at my disposal.

At this point, I see three somewhat different JP1 related things for me:

1) Get my remote programmed correctly using RMIR and IR as necessary.
2) Get my cable "fixed" (pin 5)... deferring the rebuild for a bit at this point
3) Do what I can to help out with the issues I'm encountering with RMIR.

I really like RMIR and since I'm a Java programmer, I'm hoping I can help out there.... Once I am able to get a valid RMIR/IR file in place, I can easily test out things with RMIR knowing I can quickly replace the programming to a valid state.
csete

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that with the combined help of RemoteMaster and IR.exe I was able to finally get my remote set up the way that I wanted. Thanks to the help from everyone. I was able to use a USB to serial cable via Wine on Linux to run ir.exe. I have not tried RMIR again to see if I can make progress with that approach.

Along the way, I attempted to import the upgrade from http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=653 into RemoteMaster and it blew up with an exception. I will try taking a look at that and see if there is anything I can do to figure out what is going on there. Thankfully, I had an old RM upgrade for an 8910 that I was able to load and tailor to my Atlas remote.

Thanks again for the help. More information as I look into the RemoteMaster problem.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

csete,

I've committed a fix for importing that KM upgrade. That upgrade was created by RM 5.06, a very old version, and one of my previous changes broke compatibility with old KM versions.
csete

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. That was quick. I guess I won't need to dig into that any further.

What are your thoughts on getting to the bottom of the IR/RMIR issues I seemed to be originally having? Any thoughts on how to best proceed on testing and potentially resolving?
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixing problems where RM blows up is usually really easy. Just open rmaster.err and look at the stack trace.

The RMIR issue you are having is tougher, because there is no indication that RMIR is broken, it's just RMIR is discarding the protocol upgrade that RM says is needed.

The problem is probably somewhere in the execution of RemoteConfiguration.updateUpgrades(). This is where the device upgrades and associated protocol upgrades are installed into the buffer that will get uploaded to the remote.

As I type this post, it occurs to me that there may be a simple workaround to your problem. Try commenting out the [pid: 01 7E] entry in protocols.ini, or adding a variantName=unknown line to it's definition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: