JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can't upgrade Atlas 1056 for better Pioneer DV525 DVD
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
csete

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Can't upgrade Atlas 1056 for better Pioneer DV525 DVD Reply with quote

Hello,

I have an Atlas URC-1056 (Black) that I'm trying to upgrade the Pioneer DV525 DVD device support. It is currently sort of working for controlling the basic functionality of the DVD player using VCR type with a code of 1571. The current device definition provided by the remote doesn't seem to cover all of the commands, so I'm trying to upgrade it. I've tried to create a new upgrade using Robman's txt file from a few years back and assign it to the device button, but I can't seem to get that to work.

I've seen two different problems:

1) I can't set the device button type to DVD. When I change it to DVD, RMIR changes it back to VCR.
2) Even if I create a device upgrade using Remote Master and assign it a type of VCR, it seems to leave the DVD mode of the remote such that it doesn't work at all.

Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong here? I see that the original upgrade has some protocol code involved. Is there a chance that RMIR isn't handling that protocol correctly? (I haven't used RemoteMaster in a long time, but I'm running the latest version now)

Thanks for any insights.
Craig
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please upload your IR file to the the diagnosis section HERE with a link posted in this thread to the uploaded file and someone can look at it.

Best,
jeff
csete

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for any thoughts. I uploaded the RMIR file to the diagnosis area here: http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6984. The file should work as-is if uploaded to the remote. If I change the DVD device in the mappings to the upgrade that is defined as 0999, it will stop working. I've tried a variety of things, but I'm sure it is something I'm doing stupid.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm betting there is something wrong with the rdf for the Atlas remote. I'm not very familiar with RMIR, as I use the original IR.exe for most of my programming. I have an Atlas 1056 that I have programmed extensively. I have not previously run into this problem, as it seems to be restricted to the "DVD" device type. It does a similar thing in IR - not allowing selection of the "DVD" device type for the DVD device.

Until somebody solves that, just use another device type for your upgrade. I make all of my upgrades CBL device type, since the CBL device usually has more buttons than any other.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
csete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the type has nothing to do with anything when it comes to mapping mode buttons to upgrades? If so, I won't worry about that.

Are you implying that the problems with the remote not working with the upgrade in place are likely due to the RDF for the remote? If so, how would I go about figuring out and/or fixing that?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So, the type has nothing to do with anything when it comes to mapping mode buttons to upgrades?

Not true. Each remote will have a built in number of device types, and some of those device types will share the same key structure. There is a syntax for that in the RDF that sometimes will pass in IR but will not work in RMIR. Sometimes that portion of the RDF will need to be corrected to work with RMIR, even though it works fine with IR.

Each upgrade type has certain keys that are assigned to it. The Captain uses CBL for everything, but then the Captain also uses extenders. The underlying upgrade type is inconsequential when using an extender, and using the type that has the most keys, always makes the most sense. However in an unextended remote, there are some handling quirks involved with the device type of the upgrade.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I agree with you, but the "handling quirks" to which you refer are minor at best (VPT may not work if the assigned device type does not match the "native" device type - but I do not know if that even applies to madern JP1.X remotes. I thought that was limited to the older JP1 remotes.)

Anyways, I was suggesting simply that csete attempt to use a different device type in his upgrade to test whather it would work. Whether he wants to keep it that way and live with whatever complications arise is for a later discussion.

As to the RDF affecting RMIR diferently than IR, I don't doubt it, but can neither confirm nor refute it. However, if you open IR and just do a "NEW >> Atlas OCAP 1056 JP1.3...", and try to change the device types for each of the devices, you will find that you CANNOT ASSIGN a "DVD" device type to either the DVD or the VCR devices. It always switches back to VCR. This leads me to believe that it is NOT a problem with RMIR specifically, but with the RDF for the OCAP.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick

Last edited by Capn Trips on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
csete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did try to change the type of the upgrade to VCR and assign it. I have no trouble actually assigning it, but it doesn't seem to do anything (at least it won't turn on the power of the DVD player).

Am I correct that these two problems are likely not the same? The fact that it won't let me assign a DVD type is possibly related to the RDF file for the remote? I can definitely live with assigning it to VCR if there are no other adverse affects. The question is whether the fact that it won't actually control the device is related to the RDF/RMIR or if it is something else entirely.

I was really hoping to use RMIR rather than IR so I could do all of this from my Linux box. I do have access to a Windows machine, so I can try IR. Is that the best next step?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try using CBL device type.

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but the "handling quirks" to which you refer are minor at best (VPT may not work if the assigned device type does not match the "native" device type - but I do not know if that even applies to madern JP1.X remotes. I thought that was limited to the older JP1 remotes.)

No, on the JP1.2 Atlas at least there is native Channel Punch through, Transport Punch Through too. I "think" that some of the earlier JP1.3 extenders had problems because they were getting caught in the native punch through, but I could be mistaken as I was just reading those posts, not doing a deep analysis.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's more weirdness going on here than meets the eye.

When I open your RMIR file (using RM v.1.95), I cannot open the KeyMoves Tab. So there is obviously some problem associated with the Atlas OCAP rdf and the functioning of RMIR.

But as I said above, the Device type selction fo DVD vs. VCR is equally a problem in IR, not just RMIR.

Amazon Firestick
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you delete ",2" from the VCR line and add move it to the DVD line in device types in the RDF, the problem goes away. Since both DVD and VCR are device type 2, it's not really a problem anyway, it's just semantics. I think the 2,2 entry tells IR to use that as the default when there's more than one of the same type.

Unfortunately none of this explains why the upgrade doesn't work. What I can't tell in RMIR is whether or not the protocol is actually loaded. If it isn't, that could be the problem. I guess you could search through the raw hex and find it to be certain.
csete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I figured this was just me being stupid, but now it doesn't sound like it may be just me. I have to admit that I'm now confused about what I can/should do? I'm pretty newbie-ish, so digging around in the protocol hex is probably beyond me. I'd like to help if I can though... (plus get my setup working!) Smile
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took another look at your file. The protocol IS in there. So that much is fine. The puzzling thing to me is that protocol is built in to the Atlas and is in the RDF, so I don't know why it's required in RM. Maybe that's the problem. I don't know what to tell you there. Maybe Greg will see this thread and chime in.

If you want to fix the DVD VCR display issue, close RMIR and open the Atlas RDF in notepad. Find [DeviceTypes]. Change "DVD = 2" to "DVD = 2,2". Change "VCR = 2,2" to "VCR = 2". Save and close it. Now open your RMIR file and you should be able to pick DVD.
csete

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try a few ideas from what has been listed here later tonight. Is there a way to ping Greg to take a look?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: