JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Good replacement for 10820

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Good replacement for 10820 Reply with quote

What's a good alternative (and easy) to the 10820? I have about 5 or 6 around the house, and a few are on the edge of being worn out.

I have all the 10 device buttons programmed. So it would have to be similar in that respect.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10820's are going for cheap on Ebay. I'd get them while they are still available. The U.S. Jp1.2 and 1.3 remotes are very limited.

The current remotes, the RS-133,134,135 are smaller than the 10820, about 3/4 inch shorter and 3/4 inch narrower which means the itty-bitty buttons are a lot closer together. Added to that, the button layout is very much different. The RS-100 is nice looking, probably the best of the current remotes, but it needs difficult mods to make it JP1 compatible.
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I'm up against. I got a couple 135s and don't like them for the reasons you stated. The 100 is better short of the interface. I'll look around and try to stock up.

Thanks Vicky
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some on Amazon.com for $17 each shipped. I got 4 coming.

I hate Ebay. It had its day, but I'm done with them.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have any "simpler" setups, the Comcast 3 device remotes are really nice and they have a layout that is close enough to the 10820 to not cause confusion. The 1067BX3 has a phantom device, and the 1067A with extender has 2 phantom devices

And the Atlas is another consideration. But again its a 5 device remote. Some of the Atlas remotes come with backlighting, some with learning. Its a nice layout, different from the 10820 but the buttons are well spaced. But in my humble opinion they are BUTT ugly remotes, but if they don't offend you, they'd be another option.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame they continued the small button trend on the 10820 and made them even smaller on the 13x's. The 135 is definitely the worst of the bunch. I can live with the 134 because at least they're multi-colored and on the 133 there's more empty space and backlighting, which helps. One thing they have going for them is that they're easy to get.
Ellen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anybody still looking for these, buy.com seems to have them.
jetskier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, All of a sudden they are appearing everywhere. I've never had a problem with the button size.

What makes the 10820 a must is I have 11 devices to fit into a 10 device remote. I ended up combining 2 into one button.

In case your wondering, I have a whole house A/V system where I can access all my components anywhere in the house.

The official list is:

4 satellite receivers shared (on device buttons - CD, SAT, PVR & CBL)
1 TV per remote in each zone
1 DVD shared
1 network media player on VCR
1 audio receiver on AUD (in home theater room)
1 whole house A/V receiver on AUX1
1 X10 and Playstation on AUX2 (only use power key-move for play station)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have 4 buttons that are not used with your sat STBs, such as learning buttons or macro buttons? If so, why not use the Device Multiplexor to combine all for STBs onto the SAT button, then use the 4 buttons to select which sat box you want to use.
jetskier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played with the multiplexor in a couple years, but it would work provided I could switch the remote address on the receivers through the multiplexor. I use remote addresses 1,3,5, & 7. The only difference is the fixed data for each. It came back to simplicity for my wife to figure out. I'd have to retrain her.

I haven't run out of memory yet, so I could stick with what I have for now to avoid confusion.

For your enjoyment, I uploaded my zone 1 HT file (worst case w/ 11 devices). The other zones don't have an HT receiver on AUD. I could use M1, M2, M3, & L3 for the 4 buttons. Right now, I use M3 for an "all on" macro even though it matches the SAT button. I did this way back when so I carried on the tradition so my family didn't have to relearn anything. It goes back to the days of the 8810 and limited memory on the macros.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the multiplexor really does is change the setup code assigned to a device button, it just does it with a single button press rather than doing it the conventional way. Therefore, as you've already created 4 upgrades with the right unit codes for your STBs, you could absolutely use the multiplexor. If you have 4 learning buttons available, for example, you could say that L1 is unit1, L2 is unit2, etc.

If you don't have spare buttons, you could use something shifted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: