JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR8.01 Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I have added a button on the toolbar, and a corresponding item on the File menu, that opens the current RDF in the default text editor.
Does that mean we can do live editing of an RDF?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
mathdon wrote:
I have added a button on the toolbar, and a corresponding item on the File menu, that opens the current RDF in the default text editor.

Not really. No more and no less than if you opened the RDF separately in a text editor, because that it all it is doing. The problem is that IR.exe doesn't re-load the RDF when you re-load the same .ir file, so even if you save the RDF and then re-load the .ir file, it will use the old RDF data that it has already loaded. You need to load a .ir file with a different RDF and then go back to the original to force the refresh. I suppose that if it were a real need then I could put a refresh button that forced a reload of both the .ir file and the RDF, but my intention in creating this button was for ready access to information, rather than live editing.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DecodeIR issue with IR 8.01 RC8

There is a bug in the Beta7 of DecodeIR.dll v2.38 that was included in the package for IR 8.01 RC8. It could cause DecodeIR to lock up if it was attempting to decode certain non-robust protocols. This has been corrected in Beta8.

I have reissued IR 8.01 RC8 with the corrected DecodeIR.dll. There is no change to IR.exe itself. DecodeIR.dll v2.38 Beta8 is also available separately.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Pierson wrote:
mathdon wrote:

Further to my previous reply to Mark, I have (in a private version) added a Refresh RDF button. This reloads the RDF and the .ir file in current use, with the usual prompt before that if the data has been changed, asking if you want to save the changes. Together with the Open RDF button, this gives near-live editing of the RDF. To try any changes to the RDF, all you need do is save the RDF in the text editor and press the Refresh RDF button.

Is this a useful facility? Would you like it in IR 8.01? It can potentially be dangerous if an uninformed user edits the RDF, so should the Open RDF button (and Refresh RDF, if it is wanted) only be shown if selected through a new Advanced menu option?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have added a button on the toolbar, and a corresponding item on the File menu, that opens the current RDF in the default text editor.....

I have (in a private version) added a Refresh RDF button......

Is this a useful facility? .............

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! As a person with a limited attention span I find ANYTHING to streamline this process extremely useful.

BTW: I am now using RC6, I know, but I'm still getting access violations occasionally when downloading from a remote. I still can't reproduce this at whim. Crying or Very sad Whatever this is, its a strange, and while its not a show stopper by any means, I'll have odd errors pop up after that, unless I shut down IR and start over.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Mark Pierson wrote:
mathdon wrote:

Further to my previous reply to Mark, I have (in a private version) added a Refresh RDF button. This reloads the RDF and the .ir file in current use, with the usual prompt before that if the data has been changed, asking if you want to save the changes. Together with the Open RDF button, this gives near-live editing of the RDF. To try any changes to the RDF, all you need do is save the RDF in the text editor and press the Refresh RDF button.

Is this a useful facility? Would you like it in IR 8.01? It can potentially be dangerous if an uninformed user edits the RDF, so should the Open RDF button (and Refresh RDF, if it is wanted) only be shown if selected through a new Advanced menu option?
Beginners - Read this thread first
READ BEFORE POSTING or your post will be DELETED!

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I am now using RC6, I know, but I'm still getting access violations occasionally when downloading from a remote. I still can't reproduce this at whim.

I need more than this if I'm to go hunting for the source. If you can't make it reproducible, can you see any common thread in its occurrences. Have you been doing anything in particular, like learning, or is it always with one particular model of remote, or anything? I have wondered if it is due to you having more than one copy of IR.exe open at once, as they will share a common set of Registry entries, but I can't actually see how that would cause such a problem. I imagine you get some sort of interaction because of this, however, as there is only one record of such things as Last Remote (set when a remote is selected) and Window position (set when the app is closed).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, I KNOW that this is not going to be an easy find, because it is so HARD to reporoduce.

Common
It only happens when
a) downloading from a remote
b) , and the downloaded remote is different from the previous remote
c) and there are multiple instances of IR open.
d) hitting download again, behaves okay.

My only reason for posting about it, is hopefully it will happen to someone more observant than me, and they'll be able to reproduce it.

So I should be watching for

Which remotes it happens on,
Where I am on the screen before I hit download
What remotes I have open in the other IR windows.
Anything else?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, thanks for that info. I think (c) is very important. I'll think again about how two instances can interact. As for what other info would be helpful, when you have no idea where a bug is, almost anything could be significant (though of course most things will turn out not to be so!). My guess would be that the number of devices supported by the remotes you have open will be something to do with it, so if you note which the remotes are, it will give me that and other things too.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. I "think" this only happens when I've started at least one of my instances of IR during a download from the files section, while I usually start my other instances by clicking on IR.exe.

I'll try to keep my witts about me, but half the time I've totally forgotten that I have the other instance open.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IR 8.01 Release Candidate 9 posted

I have posted IR 8.01 RC9. This corrects a bug that was reported in this thread. It also adds a new item, "Show RDF Edit Buttons", to the Advanced menu. When selected, this adds "Open RDF" and "Refresh RDF" buttons to the Toolbar and corresponding items on the File menu. The Open RDF button that was added in RC8 is therefore now hidden by default, and when it is displayed then it has the companion Refresh RDF button. Together, these permit easy editing and testing of an RDF (without even knowing where the file is!).
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies to those of you who downloaded it in the first hour it was posted. You will see that it opens on the Key Moves tab rather than the General tab. I've corrected that and re-posted it, so if you download it again you will get the one that opens as usual on the General tab.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In another thread:

ElizabethD wrote:
When you return to IR itself, will you be looking at the USB for Delcom driver? I hope.

Not for IR 8.01. I'll see if I can do anything for a later release, but I want to get IR 8.01 put to bed.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham,
First of all, many thanks for your wonderful work in the other thread, DecodeIR. It included welcome improvements and your explanations were an education galore Smile Amen to what Tommy wrote at the end.

Delcom - sure. Makes sense. No problem. What I'd like to see are few debugging items displayed/sent to text file, so that I can try figuring out why it skips packets for me.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final release of IR 8.01

I have posted the final release of IR 8.01 and have announced it in this new thread.

Many thanks to all of you who have helped in its development by suggestions and testing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: