JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR8.01 Beta posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Vicky, have you got the menu item Advanced/Suppress Messages turned on?

apparently yes. Is that a default? Or did I turn it on accidentally, and what does it do besides letting me get into trouble?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not a default. You must have turned it on at some time. It just suppresses various confirmation messages like "Ready to download from remote", "Bad checksum", "Are you sure you want to delete the selected upgrade device". But at Rob's request it now also suppresses "Data has changed. Do you want to save the changes?", which it didn't used to do.

So in summary, all it does is let you get into trouble in various ways! Smile
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tested 8.01 beta2 at work and it works fine.

mathdon wrote:
Rob, the only thing I can think of that propagates behaviour from one activation of IR to another is the registry. Could you post, or e-mail me, the HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/UEIC registry settings so I can see if anything unusual has got into them?

When I get home I'll do this.

mathdon wrote:
Rob again, to rule out Vicky's suggestion of a hidden modal dialog window, do the panels in the General tab function properly - eg can you change device codes and settings - or is everything locked up?

I don't know, I didn't try them. I'll verify this also when I get home.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way to get the tabs to be inaccessible is if you on the General tab you scroll down in "other Settings" to a grayed out selection, you'll end up not being able to switch between tabs. This doesn't jive with what Rob is saying, but it is another cause of the problem
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
One way to get the tabs to be inaccessible is if you on the General tab you scroll down in "other Settings" to a grayed out selection, you'll end up not being able to switch between tabs.

How do you get a grayed out selection?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How do you get a grayed out selection?

Some of the "Settings" can be made so they are locked in so they can't be changed by the user's. Use Graham's 7780 RDF, to see this in action. The last 3 settings are locked in. If you are sitting on a field like that you can't navigate.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
One way to get the tabs to be inaccessible is if you on the General tab you scroll down in "other Settings" to a grayed out selection, you'll end up not being able to switch between tabs. This doesn't jive with what Rob is saying, but it is another cause of the problem

Thanks, Vicky, for that info. I didn't realise that was the case and it really surprises me. I'll look into it and see if there is a way round it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've partially figured it out. The last thing I had been doing at home was to create the starter RDF for the URC-9040 remote, so when I fired up the new beta version, that's the RDF that was in memory. If I open something else, I can use the tabs. So there's something in my starter RDF that is killing the tabs in 8.01 but is not killing them in 8.00.

Here's the RDF:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6907

Actually, as there are no "other settings" yet in this RDF, this could well be the same problem that Vicky found.

Here's another interesting finding. If I open an IR file for a different remote and tab to a tab other than General, then open a URC-9040 IR file, the tabs work. But if I then open a 2nd 9040 IR file (while I'm on the General tab) the tabs won't work.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I open an IR file for a different remote and tab to a tab other than General, then open a URC-9040 IR file, the tabs work. But if I then open a 2nd 9040 IR file (while I'm on the General tab) the tabs won't work.

Which makes perfect sense. If opened on the General tab, focus is set on the settings column, and once it gets focus of a setting that doesn't accept input, it locks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that this is the same issue because I just added a setting to the RDF and now I can use the tabs every time.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote in the "wish list" thread
mathdon wrote:
mathdon wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:
Can the "highlilght raw data" capability be extended to device and protocol upgrades? And to individual settings on the General Tab?

... I hadn't thought about the Settings grid. That one should be straightforward.
Oh dear, I really shouldn't tempt fate like that! That one's been something of a nightmare! The easy problem was ... The difficult one was putting multiselect on the Device Buttons and Settings grids in a way that makes them interact nicely with the edit boxes.

Well, the nightmare was a recurring one! Rob's problem was due to all that! Smile I think I've got it sorted now without reintroducing any of the problems I previously had, but before I post it generally as Beta 3 I would be grateful if the most hardy of you would test it first. So here is a preliminary version of Beta 3 for you brave souls! Smile It replaces the re-upload of Beta 1, rather than the "official" Beta 2.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to Vicky, for without her eagle eye spotting that you couldn't change tabs when a read-only setting was selected, I think we would still be floundering around in the dark with this one. I may be wrong, but I also think serendipidy played a big part, as if Kev (kevjs1982) hadn't had a problem with the URC-7780 at the same time, which Vicky and I both looked at, I don't think she would have opened my RDF for that remote and so wouldn't have spotted the issue with read-only settings. Rolling Eyes Fortune can smile on us sometimes!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that it's fixed the issue that I was having. Thanks Graham, I hope you're still having fun doing this! Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
serendipidy played a big part

I certainly agree with that. Data driven errors can be very difficult to find, and there are so many data dependenies in IR, I can't begin to imagine the complexity of coding in this environement. My hat is off to you and your predecessors.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Thanks Graham, I hope you're still having fun doing this! Smile

I wouldn't still be doing it if I wasn't! Smile It's coming up to my first anniversary as a JP1er. Been quite a year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: