JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

VPT and Macros?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: VPT and Macros? Reply with quote

As I have reassigned all 4 devices on my 7541, VPT does not work (as expected!)

I have tried the "VPT-enabler" protocol but it did not work (it did say it wouldn't but I thought it was worth a try anyway!) This would have been an ideal solution for me as all the devices I want to pass through use built in protocols!

I have currently got Vol+, Vol- and Mute mapped using KeyMoves but I am rapidly running out of KeyMoves as the VPT simulation is taking 12 of them! Is there an easier way?

Also, I want to have 4 of the extra buttons on the bottom of the remote work globally so that whatever device I am in, they work the aspect ratio of the TV. I cannot see how to do this without greating a keymap for 4 phantoms on each device (16 keymaps) and then 4 macros ?

Is there away to have a macro send the device/Command directly instead of assigning a keymove to a key and then calling that key from a macro?

I seem to be running out of keymoves very fast!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you using the wrong device mode for all 4 device buttons, surely at least one of them should be using the correct mode (ie, whichever mode you decided had the most buttons).

You have discovered the main drawback of using the wrong device mode purely to save on keymoves. It's a trade off, if you are saving more than 3 keymoves, you're ahead, if not you're not.

Furthermore, I'm assuming that one of the 4 devices is the device that controls the volume. Even if this device is programmed using the wrong device mode, the volume buttons should still work in this mode.

As for the 4 extra buttons, the only way I can think of to do it is to use keymoves. I can't see how macros need to be involved. (Remember, even though macros are global, they would always leave the remote in TV mode)
SimonD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is this....

There are 4 device buttons on the remote and 5 device "slots", these are assigned as follows....

TV - DTTV box (CBL mode)
VCR - Video (VCR mode) <- Haven't tried this one yet!
SAT - DVD (VCR mode)
AUX - CD (AUDIO mode) <- Haven't tried this yet!
xDev - Amplifier (AUDIO mode)

There are 8 buttons at the bottom of the remote all of which I really want to do the same stuff whatever device is currently active.
e.g. 1-4 select the 1-4 main devices and set the plasma up and turn the amp to the correct input.
5-8 changes the aspect ratio on the plasma.

All volumes need to go to the Amplifier (the 5th virtual device).

I could possibly swap the TV and SAT devices to get the DTTV box on the SAT device button but it is confusing enough already, the wife would go nuts!
SimonD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to toast the remote? ever since I tried the VPT protocol which failed, the remote doesn't want to control anything at all let alone the volume!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, unlike most remotes, TV mode in the URC-7541 has the most buttons available, so for starters, you should be using TV mode for the DTTV box.

CBL/SAT mode has almost as many buttons as TV mode, it's only missing the shifted VOL/CH buttons, so why not use SAT mode for your DVD upgrade.

Then finally, use the device combiner to create an upgrade for the CD player that includes the receiver volume functions.

That way VPT will work.
SimonD

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just change the Device type of the upgrade as wanted then? I assumed it had something to do with how it all worked and couldn't be changed. Doh!

Any ideas on why the remote refuses to do anything now! I'm not even sure that there is any IR coming out of it! my iPAQ doesn't appear to be seeing anything??
asinsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing the device type of your device upgrade does is to lock in which buttons are directly available to be assigned through the upgrade versus which ones must be assigned via keymoves (on the button tab in keymaster, any buttons preceded by an '@' are buttons that will actually get assigned via keymove rather than by the device upgrade). Changing device type does not change how the remote performs a given defined function...that stuff is all defined by the protocol and the device upgrade.

So, if TV is the device code that allows you to assign the most buttons in the device upgrade (see the keymaster layout tab for that info), you can use TV for all your upgrades (DVD, Receiver, etc.) and thereby minimize the number of keymoves you need to make that waste valuable memory.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SimonD wrote:
Can I just change the Device type of the upgrade as wanted then? I assumed it had something to do with how it all worked and couldn't be changed.

The device type determines the key map, and since different devices use different maps, simply changing the device in IR will just mess things up. You need to change it in KM and replace the current upgrade code in IR with the new code.
SimonD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thanks, I will try it if I can get the remote to send *any* IR commands! (I think it is toasted!)

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: