JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kameleon URC8060 & sky remote codes question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Multiplexing does not "combine" several deevices into one (although that is possible with the "device combiner" I do not see it as being useful for your purposes, since you don't have an unlimited number of buttons on your remote).

Multiplexor allows you to SWITCH which device you are controlling from a single Device button - i.e. it completely re-assigns a different setup code to (for example) the SAT device mode. So you would push SAT to select SAT and then you would set up a button or buttons to change the active setup code for SAT - your choice.

For example, you could assign shift-red to switch it to Sky+, shift-green to switch to Sky HD, shift-yellow to switch to Sky and shift-blue to switch to Technomate. Then ALL of the buttons (record, play etc.) will control only the CURRENTLY-active device.

If those buttons have pre-assigned commands (which you control in your upgrade anyways), you can assign those multiplex functions to another set of buttons. I would really recommend the extender in your case, because then you can assign all of your "switching" functions - for the SPC4 and the multiplexing - to phantom buttons and use them in macros that you assign to the shift-color buttons to do everything you need in one fell swoop. It's possible you could get by without using the extender, but you'd have to be really creative, I think.

Back to your setup. For my understanding:
(1) Does the SPC4 somehow receive its commands directly from the Sky boxes? i.e. the Sky box's IR receiver gets an appropriate command and sends it on to the SPC4 via coax and the SPC4 responds?
(2) Does the SPC4 only output a SINGLE TV channel to all of your TVs?;
(3) Do you know what pressing "select-blue" "X" REALLY does? Does it send an IR signal to the SPC4 telling it to pass signals on to a specific "input" "X" only? That's what it sounds like from your description. If so, then it is NOT "programming the remote" to only speak to one box. It is programming the SPC4 to only pass signals to that one box. Am I right? If so, then it should be pretty straightforward to learn that signal (select-Blue) and add it to one of yoru upgrades. Then you could easily set up macros on (for example) shift-red through shift-blue to send a sequence that: Sends "shift-blue"; sends "1" (or 2 or 3 or 4); executes a multiplex switch to "Sky HD" (or Sky or Sky+ or Technomate) and you're ready for action!

Although not SIMPLE, it is really quite straightforward to set this up if you go about it in a deliberate and step-by-step manner.

My only caution about investing a lot of effort into the 8060 is that it uses the "old" JP1 - EEPROM cable, so that you need to get/make a cable and in this case that battery retiner that has been previously discussed, and you are unlikely to be able to use EITHER of those tools with any other OFA remote you are likely to buy today. For any newer OFA remote, you'd need a DIFFERENT JP1.2/3 cable. That's why I was asking about your remote inventory. FOr simplicity in learning how to program just ONE remote, you might want ot get a set of OFA 7780 or 7781's (they are JP1.3 12-device remotes with a brand-new extender). If you really like Kameleons, I believe that the 8204 and 8206 (JP1.2) are the latest variants in the UK, but they are only 4 and 6-device capable, and have no extender.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)

Last edited by Capn Trips on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
josh1e

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great explanation - understood it on the first read Smile rofl

okay so now i understand it lol.. i'm off to see how much i can con out of the wife, then window shop for a remote that is jp1 compatible & has easy pins for connecting a cable too..

now you know my needs lol... any suggestions on suitable remotes?

thanks again, Wink
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my post after you read it. I recommend remotes at the end of it.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
josh1e

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya,

Quote:
Back to your setup. For my understanding:
(1) Does the SPC4 somehow receive its commands directly from the Sky boxes? i.e. the Sky box's IR receiver gets an appropriate command and sends it on to the SPC4 via coax and the SPC4 responds?

The SPC4 from my understanding is not really "active" in processing & sending commands of it's own. I believe but am guessing, (badly worded but used for ease of explaining) that it simply assigns each output to be a channel. when you set the remote to output on the same channel as say, channel 1 on the spc4, the IR signals are then sent to channel / output 1. (obviously when i say channel, i mean IR transmitting channel, not tv channel - not sure how else to explain it...)

Quote:

(2) Does the SPC4 only output a SINGLE TV channel to all of your TVs?

the SPC4 is a combiner that passes IR signals. it doesn't actually create / recieve any IR signals of its own. it combines the 4 recievers prior to going into an amplifier. where normally combining 4 sky boxes would only allow you to control 1 box, the other 3 would be cancelled out, the spc4's purpose was to allow remote control via coaxial RF signals of all 4 connected boxes. therefore it shows all 4 tv channels, 1 from each receiver on every tv. (it also boosts the signal loss involved in combining the signals)

Quote:

(3) Do you know what pressing "select-blue" "X" REALLY does? Does it send an IR signal to the SPC4 telling it to pass signals on to a specific "input" "X" only? That's what it sounds like from your description.

The SPC4 does not (from my understanding) actually know any commands as such, other than routing remote control's operating on slightly different "channels" it is a "dumb" device.. therefore the only change using select & blue is to the remote... (a note on satcure.co.uk suggests all sky remotes are factory set to IR channel 0, however setting it to 1,2 or 3 often means it will not work in the same room as the reciever, while it will work through the SPC4 if plugged into the right input)
I presume as the IR signal enters the SPC4 it arrives on IR channel 2 (for example) but on leaving & going to the correct sky box, it is re-assigned channel 0 (factory default) it may not be as complicated as that if being carried by coax rf rather than IR. all signals enter via RF output rather than remote IR transmitter in the room....

Quote:
If so, then it is NOT "programming the remote" to only speak to one box. It is programming the SPC4 to only pass signals to that one box. Am I right? If so, then it should be pretty straightforward to learn that signal (select-Blue) and add it to one of yoru upgrades. Then you could easily set up macros on (for example) shift-red through shift-blue to send a sequence that: Sends "shift-blue"; sends "1" (or 2 or 3 or 4); executes a multiplex switch to "Sky HD" (or Sky or Sky+ or Technomate) and you're ready for action!

I agree in theory it seems as though it is programming the remote, but i believe the spc4 is hardware programmed to just know output 1 = remote on channel 1 (select + blue +1 + select) output 2 = remote on channel 2 (select + blue + 2 + select) The remote is programmed out of line of sight of the SPC4 / digi eye's etc, also the SPC4 is quite a new device but this ability has long been programmed into the remotes.....

hope this helps Smile

getting a headache lol... Embarassed

oh, thanks for the links on remotes.... i do like the look of the 8870 / 8871 & they are available here for £14 Smile will have to read up on extenders / any programming "hiccups" etc before making a decision....

robman, do you have any offers on 8870 / 8871 & widgets / cables? would prefer to buy from within the forum as a way of saying thank you for the advice... Wink
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, then let me re-engineer my thinking:

(1) The SPC4 simply accepts four RF coax inputs, and multiplexes them so that ALL of the inputs are output on the single output. So on any given TV, you can "select" any of the four "sources" by tuning to channel 1, 2, 3, or 4 (or whatever channels the four frequencies correspond to). Am I right so far?

(2) That said, I now believe that the "select-blue" "x" sequence does indeed select a different "unit number" (lacking a better term) for your remote to transmit a DIFFERENT family of codes. This would seemingly be more necessary when you have several of the same-type STBs. In your case, I would suspect that you do not NEED to do this, since each of you boxes uses a unique codeset anyways (but of course you CAN). I presume that when you change your REMOTE via the "select-Blue" method, do you not also have to ensure that the BOX you are controlling is ALSO set up to respond to THAT particular remote setting? (It would be a one-time setup thing). If so, then I would wager that since you have no duplicate boxes, you COULD leave all of your equipment in the "default" state and simply change the remote from Sky to Sky+ to SkyHD rather than changing the remote code as well. (Is this easy for you to test? or is it a PITA ("Pain In The Arse")?

If that's the case, then you macros would be even easier, since you don't have to replicate the "select-blue" sequence, you just have to make sure that your upgrades match whatever signals the remote sends AFTER all of that "select-blue" and "select-yellow" manipulation. With a learning remote, that's pretty straightforward (although learning ALL of the signals may be time-consuming, it's not particularly difficult)

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: