JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OT: Xbox w/ IR Keyboard/Mouse?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pollito

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: OT: Xbox w/ IR Keyboard/Mouse? Reply with quote

This doesn’t have anything to do with JP1 but some of you guys here might know the answer.
I have an modified XBOX and I've been wanting to use a wireless IR keyboard/mouse (like the ones for WebTV and devices like that) for Linux but I'm not sure if it will be possible for the IR receiver of the XBOX (DVD kit) to capture the IR signals sent by the keyboard. I was thinking of using LIRC. Does anyone here have any experience with this IR devices and the IR receiver of the XBOX?
If anyone is thinking why not just use a USB wireless keyboard that might be supported under Linux? The answer is size, form factor and also the mouse or trackball that is included on the keyboard that I want to use.
Any comments are welcomed.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do have experince here with decoding IR keyboards. Is it compatible with the WebTV keyboard?

Beyond that, what are you trying to do? Control the DVD with a remote? Or are you trying to control other gear from the keyboard?

Keyboards have somewhat unique IR commands. From what we know of LIRC, it makes some assumptions that could be confused by keyboard commands. Have you tried it?. Are you also trying to use a PC to transmit IR commands and expect the xBox to respond?

The mouse is a whole different story. Will the arrow keys suffice for what you need? Like DVD menu navigation?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you said you don't want a USB keyboard but... You should really look at the Gyration cordless mouse/keyboard combo:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10336561&loc=101&sp=1

I can't say enough good things about it. The gyroscope mouse is easy and fun to use, the reception is great and the keyboard feels like a ThinkPad. I think the form factor of the keyboard is what you are looking for anyway...

I've recently retired my HTPC in favor of an XBox-only solution, and one of the regrets I have with my new configuration is I don't get to use the cool mouse anymore! I have only been using XBMC (which is incredibly neat) maybe you have some other useful apps in mind to use via a TV and keyboard?

xnappo
tbirdguy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: usb keyboard and XBMC Reply with quote

xbox media center works great with usb keyboard, just FYI
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: