JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New version of JP1.2 serial driver - testing needed!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
How possible is it for you to get it working in x64 windows (xp in my case)? I only run IR once every several years when I get a new remote (which I just did today), so I'm a perpetual noob and have to re-learn everything each time, but I'm fully willing to help with any testing you might need. In the meantime I guess I'll have to fire up a vmware image to use IR. Sad

Hi ShanMan,

I'm not the author of the 'jp12serial.dll' library, but I'm working on a simple little test application (for Windows) which may result in some modifications to that DLL in the future, so your comment piqued my interest.

I'm a Linux guy so I rarely run Windows and I've never run the 64-bit version of XP, but I read up a little bit on it. It seems as if (none to my surprise) WinXP-64 supports running a 32-bit app calling a 32-bit DLL. In fact, here's a quote from a relevant webpage:

Charlie Russel, Microsoft MVP for Windows Server, Security and Tablet PC wrote:
With Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, you can run both 64-bit and 32-bit applications side by side. Your existing 32-bit applications run in WOW64, while the 64-bit applications run natively. This makes it easy to transition to 64-bit applications at your pace—only moving when you're ready. You can even run 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same application in Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, allowing you to evaluate the new version of an existing application and transition at a controlled pace.

The Wikipedia article on WOW64 says:

Wikipedia wrote:
WoW64 (Windows-on-Windows 64-bit) is a subsystem of the Windows operating system that is capable of running 32-bit applications and is included on all 64-bit versions of Windows — including Windows 2000 Limited Edition, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, IA-64 and x64 versions of Windows Server 2003, 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008, as well as 64 bit editions of Windows 7. WoW64 is designed to take care of all the differences between 32-bit Windows and 64-bit Windows, particularly involving structural changes to Windows itself.

So I'm confused as to why 'IR.exe' + 'jp12serial.dll' wouldn't work on WinXP-64. What am I missing here? Can you please enlighten me?

Regards,
Bill
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know actually, and yes 32 bit apps do work fine in x64. I'm guessing it has more to do with 32 bit apps having access to hardware. What I do know is when I launch IR it tells me "This driver has been blocked from loading. Please make sure you have Admin rights." And of course, I do have admin rights. From what little I was able to find by a search of the forums, I believe serial communications do not currently work in x64.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheShanMan wrote:
I don't know actually, and yes 32 bit apps do work fine in x64. I'm guessing it has more to do with 32 bit apps having access to hardware. What I do know is when I launch IR it tells me "This driver has been blocked from loading. Please make sure you have Admin rights." And of course, I do have admin rights. From what little I was able to find by a search of the forums, I believe serial communications do not currently work in x64.

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

The additional detail in your reply helped. I found this directly relevant post in this very forum which I suppose you may have already noticed.

To satisfy my own growing curiosity on this issue, I did a bit of web searching and am still somewhat puzzled. I saw some comments that seem to indicate that 64-bit versions of Windows (whether XP, Vista, or Server2008) require driver signing for kernel-mode drivers. I'm not certain if our innocent little 'jp12serial.dll' "qualifies" for such treatment, but I suspect it may, given that it semi-directly writes to the UART (RS-232 serial port chip). Personally, I don't consider the DLL to be a "driver" at all -- it's merely shared library code, but I don't know how loose Microsoft is with the terminology.

I saw a Microsoft document which talks about using the well-known 'F8' boot menu option to advantage:
That document wrote:
An F8 Advanced Boot Option introduced with Windows Vista—“Disable Driver Signature Enforcement”—is available to disable the kernel-signing enforcement only for the current boot session. This setting does not persist across boot sessions.

It's not clear if WinXP-64 offers anything similar, but you might give it a try.

I guess at this point I'm still confused as to whether anything can be done with the DLL ('jp12serial.dll') or the app ('IR.exe') or if this is something that's purely a problem with the operating system (WinXP-64) and its strict requirement for signed drivers in 64-bit mode.

Hopefully someone with more Windows XP-64 experience on this than I have (which is to say, "none" Very Happy) will jump in here and clarify.

Bill
TheShanMan

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch my claim that it's not 64 bit compatible. It actually is working fine now. I'm not sure what caused it to start working, but after it failed on 2 computers I tried it on my wife's and it worked. Now it's working on my 64 bit machine too. Confused Embarassed Very Happy
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange.... Glad to hear it's working OK now, though.

I'm still a bit concerned (especially given the very similar problem by 'Ube_Astard' from another thread that I mentioned earlier) that there might be something odd going on with 64-bit versions of Microsoft OSes. But I guess that until we get some more people reporting problems, we'll never know for sure. And that may take a while, given the probable (low) number of people running the 64-bit versions of WinXP and/or Vista with JP1 software.

Thanks for the update.

Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: