JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR v8.01 wish list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few quick points in reply.

Capn Trips: The buttons are much easier to do than the re-sizing, and I suspect the re-sizing will be easier to do if the buttons and radio buttons are out of the way.

Mdavej: Sorry, I forgot the Upload WAV button. Yes, this would go on the toolbar as well. The 4th Device Buttons column is the Labels column, active only when Labels is set in the RDF. There is even a 5th column that I introduced, the Sequence column that is used only for the URC-7780/7781 (control the display sequence on the LCD), but I hid that when not in use to prevent there being two apparently unused columns. Adding Notes would be a 6th column - hence the need for greater width!

Rob: Hiding and disabling are equally easy. In fact, hiding is easier as with disabling, I have to create a separate "greyed out" icon. So I'm happy to go along with hiding. But as to what they do, even when greyed out the "hint" you get by hovering the mouse over the button gives you the name. Hiding creates a blank space in the button row with no name. I thought that was more likely than disabling to give rise to the question "I wonder what is hidden there". As to the radio buttons, see my comment for the Capn as to why I want to remove them. I'll see if I can think of some other way of displaying them.

Liz: I suspect you don't have the IRHelp.hlp file. It's the directory for this that it means. This file is in the Help section of JP1 Files, as irhelp.zip.

Rob, if you want to move these posts to the IR 8.01 Wish List, that's fine with me. I'm happy for all these points to wait for IR 8.01.

Graham
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The "Force" options are there for people with the URC-9960B01 remote, because IR cannot reliably tell which option to use. If it used the wrong option, the data got wrapped and was useless.

I would hate to see these options be only accessible from the pull down menus. ...

I will sometimes have a JP1 parallel cable *and* a JP1.x USB cable connected at the same time, so I would like to see Parallel, Serial, USB added to the "JP1" side of the line.

A further thought. Your suggestion adds even more to the list of interfaces. Instead of more radio buttons, how about a drop-down box on the toolbar? Gets the options out of the way but leaves them easily accessible. I would also make it remember its last setting on opening IR. I'm getting fed up with my nice new Upload to Remote button not working because I've forgotten to change the interface to JP1.x from the JP1 that it always opens with Smile .

Graham
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding hidden toolbar buttons, can make the space collapse so that the buttons to the right slide over, like how it is in Excel and programs like that?

Regarding the interface options, I'm OK with the idea of condensing them into a single Drop Down menu, but I do prefer the radio buttons because it's easier to get from one mode to another. So please give some thought to moving the line to below the General Notes section before you decide to go with a drop down.

This has got me thinking, what would IR do if I had both a JP1.x serial cable and a JP1.x USB cable connected at the same time? Is it possible to give the user the choice of which one to use?

If you can come up with a good JP1/JP1.x auto detection routine, you could move the current "JP1 Auto Detect" to the top of the list and make it a global Auto Detect.

If the user has Auto Detect selected and IR detects more than one interface is connected, what will it do?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Regarding hidden toolbar buttons, can make the space collapse so that the buttons to the right slide over, like how it is in Excel and programs like that?

I must be very unobservant. I haven't noticed buttons sliding around like that. But yes, it can be done.
The Robman wrote:
I do prefer the radio buttons because it's easier to get from one mode to another. So please give some thought to moving the line to below the General Notes section before you decide to go with a drop down.

Will do. How about a drop-down as well, as I don't like having to go back to the General tab to select the interface, when I can upload/download from any tab.
The Robman wrote:
This has got me thinking, what would IR do if I had both a JP1.x serial cable and a JP1.x USB cable connected at the same time? Is it possible to give the user the choice of which one to use?

You got me thinking the same thing. I'll look into it, though a user could have two or more JP1.x USB cables connected, so where do we stop?

The Robman wrote:
If you can come up with a good JP1/JP1.x auto detection routine, you could move the current "JP1 Auto Detect" to the top of the list and make it a global Auto Detect.

If the user has Auto Detect selected and IR detects more than one interface is connected, what will it do?

I'm going off the idea of auto-detecting, because of the multiple connections problem, and prefer simply making IR remember the last interface between invocations.

Graham
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Along the lines of streamlining the UI, but a new feature, what do you think about adding a little more animation/status during upload/download. I like the little red led at the bottom left since it mimics the remote, but it's very subtle. Maybe a popup with a progress bar or something that goes away by itself? Just a thought.
I like this suggestion.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, is it possible to put the Signature, Processor and Interface type (currently on the Raw Data page) somewhere on the General Page? Maybe in a row in line with the memory usage bars. I find that information very useful routinely rather than as an obscure "for experts only" Raw Data type of info.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly like the idea of having the signature be more visible, maybe it could be part of the blue bar at the top where the remote name is currently displayed. I don't know that the processor type needs to be more visible though.

As for the interface type, I agree that I'd like to have access to that from all tabs, not just the general, so where would you put the drop down so that it would be accessible from all tabs, are you talking about putting the drop down on the icon bar or are you talking about the pull down menu options?

I think for the average user who only has one remote, this feature doesn't need to be that visible because once they've set it to whatever they need, they can just leave it, so it's just the expert users who are messing with many different types of remote at once that would need it.

I think the JP1.x / JP1 parallel / serial / USB selection can be separated from the EEPROM: Force <= 2k, >= 4k option, and both could be controlled by a menu option (as the latter is only needed for people with JP1 remotes with 4k EEPROMs, which I think mainly limits the audience to URC-9960B01 users). I think having the EEPROM size option controllable from a pull down menu would be sufficient, I don't see the need of having this one more visible.

So how about having a pull down menu option that enables and disables the JP1 types/JP1.x section, then put the radio buttons on the current icon bar line? This should cover all users needs, the average user selects their interface and leaves it, the expert user that doesn't want to waste the screen space can use the pull down menus, and someone like myself who has JP1 and JP1.x interfaces connected at the same time can quickly select the remote that I want to download from.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point made somewhat further up the thread, however. What about the über-expert who has MULTIPLE JP1 and JP1.x USB interfaces. In theory, one could have 2, 3, 4 of each and any mix connected to multiple USB ports! Twisted Evil

I would think that would too hard of a nut to crack, so simply a note or comment somewhere in the documentation that IR will only support ONE of each type of interface at a time would be the simpler solution.

Amazon Firestick
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some experiments about interfaces. Although I don't have a JP1 serial or parallel cable, I've been able to do some tests about them by disabling some of the source code that disables them as options. Very convoluted, but helpful. In the course of this I got some Windows errors that said "Privileged instruction error", or words to that effect. It may be because I was doing something inconsistent by disabling certain checks in the software, but I suspect they are real as it seems not to be the result that is wrong, but the question the code is asking.

I run MS Vista. It seems possible to me that there are no machines that are capable of running MS Vista that still have serial or parallel ports rather than the all-encompassing USB port. But is this a known problem with Vista and JP1 serial/parallel leads, and if so, is there a known solution?

I am trying really hard to get as many long-standing bugs as possible out of IR 8.00. I found, and solved, another one today. I hadn't realised that IR really was supposed to save and preserve the interface type between invocations. Till now, IR saved the interface type and re-read it correctly at the next invocation, but if the saved one was JP1.x an oversight meant that it then got overwritten by a line of code that didn't take account of the existence of JP1.x. I've put this right. There will very soon be an IR 8.00 RC7 that includes this amendment.

Graham
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall what remotes Tommy has, but he's the most likely person to have multiple USB cables to play with, so if you have something that needs testing, we could ask him to plug in multiple USB cables connected to remotes and then see what IR does.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I run MS Vista. It seems possible to me that there are no machines that are capable of running MS Vista that still have serial or parallel ports rather than the all-encompassing USB port. But is this a known problem with Vista and JP1 serial/parallel leads, and if so, is there a known solution?
I've used a JP1 parallel cable in Vista via a PCI parallel port card and have never encountered any errors. Could it have something to do with the port address IR is trying to use? I do have to use a different port address with my PCI card rather than the standard 378, 278, 3BC.

But I have experienced the JP1.x bug you found. Good catch.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I've been doing some experiments about interfaces. Although I don't have a JP1 serial or parallel cable, I've been able to do some tests about them by disabling some of the source code that disables them as options. Very convoluted, but helpful. In the course of this I got some Windows errors that said "Privileged instruction error"

mdavej wrote:
I've used a JP1 parallel cable in Vista via a PCI parallel port card and have never encountered any errors. Could it have something to do with the port address IR is trying to use?

If you haven't had such an error then I'm not going to worry about it. I suspect it is a result of me trying something that is inconsistent for my machine. I said I haven't got a JP1 parallel cable - but actually I haven't even got a parallel port Smile , so it's not surprising that I got an error. But it did enable me to check that IR now remembers all interface types correctly from one invocation to the next, so it was a useful exercise.

Graham
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to this note.
mr_d_p_gumby wrote:
Going through my notes on the IR to-do list again, I ran across this:
binky123 back in Oct '07 wrote:
We need some RDF entries for the Device Specific macros built into some of the newer remotes, Timed Macros on the URC-7780, Delayed Macros on the Dreambox V4.
We can check off the Timed Macros on the URC-7780 now. Cool

I think the second request for 8.01 would be adding the Dreambox Delayed Macros. However, someone who actually knows how they work will have to jump in here and explain it to us.

A new RDF entry will be needed to handle delayed macros.

A couple of the dreambox remotes(V4 and V5) have a delayed macro format. If a macro is created with more than 1 key, each key after the first key is proceeded by a delay factor to pause before executing the next key. If you create a 2-key macro, format will be <key> <delay> <key>. The duration of delay is <delay> times .26s. The shortest value for delay is 1. Currently you can build this format yourself by inserting the SHIFT button(keycode 01) between macro keys.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress report on IR 8.01

I thought you might like to know the present state of IR 8.01. Here's a summary of what I've done so far.

All the buttons in the middle row now have counterparts in the toolbar, and optional buttons are hidden when not active.
The Robman wrote:
Done.

Capn Trips wrote:
Also, is it possible to put the Signature, Processor and Interface type (currently on the Raw Data page) somewhere on the General Page? Maybe in a row in line with the memory usage bars. I find that information very useful routinely rather than as an obscure "for experts only" Raw Data type of info.
There is now an option to display these items as part of the Title Bar. There is a new Options submenu of the Tools menu with three options: Show Toolbar (defaults on), Show Middle Buttons (defaults on), Show Extended Titles (defaults off). The last of these turns on these extra title items.

The Robman wrote:
Would it be possible to use the column to the right of "Code" in the General tab for Notes? We could use it to store things like "Tivo" or the brand.
This is now effectively done. It's not the blank column, which was actually the Labels column for those remotes that have Labels data, but a new Notes column. The Labels column is now hidden when not needed, so the usual appearance is that the blank column has been turned into Notes. Now that the Device Buttons panel is resizeable, there is no longer any obstacle to adding more columns to this grid.

ElizabethD wrote:
5. Keymoves maintenance would be easier if multiselection was allowed. Select all to, for iinstance, delete all keymoves; select several to move up or down as a group.
Done. Multiselect now works on all the Advanced Codes grids (Key Moves, Macros etc.). It only operates with moving and deleting rows, as I can't see any meaning to editing or cloning with multiselect. Is there anything else that should work with it?

The Robman wrote:
Here's a quick minor change that I'd like, when you CLONE a keymove, IR automatically clears out the EFC code (the assumption being that you will enter a different code). I'd like it to not clear anything out because sometimes you might want to copy a keymove to the same button in different device modes.
Done.

The Robman wrote:
I'm back with another request to help with decoding learned signals. Normally the burst pairs in a signal are all multiples of a fixed value, so if you round to that value you get perfect burst pair times.

However, the XMP protocol has introduced a new concept. The time difference between the different values used for this protocol is 140 uS, so that's what I'd normally round to, but there's a seeding time. The smallest off time in the XMP protocol is 750 uS, and that's not a multiple of 140.

So, what I'd like is a new text box to the right of the Bi-Phase drop down (on the Learned Signals tab) called "Seed:" where I can enter an amount as a seeding value.

In this case I would enter 50 as the seed and 140 as the round-to amount.

The rounding logic would then subtract 50 from every burst pair time before it rounds it to a multiple of 140, then it would add the 50 back into the number for display.
Done.

That's about it for now, but there are more things in the pipeline.

Graham
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
ElizabethD wrote:
5. Keymoves maintenance would be easier if multiselection was allowed. Select all to, for iinstance, delete all keymoves; select several to move up or down as a group.
Done. Multiselect now works on all the Advanced Codes grids (Key Moves, Macros etc.). It only operates with moving and deleting rows, as I can't see any meaning to editing or cloning with multiselect. Is there anything else that should work with it?

Funnily enough I was going to ask for this feature myself as I wanted to delete a range of learned signals without deleting them all, so if you haven't already done so, could you add this functionality to the Learned Signals panel.

As for what changes you might want to do for a range of selected keymoves or learned signals, how about if you want to change them all from one device mode to another, or suppose you want to copy them.

Here's an example, suppose someone has used the wrong device modes for a bunch of upgrades which means that VPT is broken in many device modes. They are then likely to use either learning or keymoves to fix the volume. It would be cool if they could set up one set of volume buttons (either as learns or keymoves) and then copy them 3 or 4 times with a view to editing them after the copy. Something like this...

Steps
1) User learns 3 volume buttons in TV mode.
2) User highlights all three learns, does a CNTL-C followed by CNTL-V, the result being that the three learns now show up twice (all in TV mode)
3) User highlights the 2nd set of buttons, clicks EDIT and changes the device mode from TV to VCR.

So Graham, where is 8.01? You know that we want to start playing with it, don't you??? Sounds like you've done a great job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: