JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Any way to speed up RS 15-2116 remote?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofakng

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Any way to speed up RS 15-2116 remote? Reply with quote

I've had a RadioShack 15-2116 remote control for a while now and it's programmed so it works perfectly for me and it's even broadcasting via RF.

However, it's slow as heck. The delay between button press and device response is really slow and if I try to press a button repeatedly (eg. channel up) it only registers around 1 button press for every 5 or 6 physical button presses.

I'm willing to buy a new remote but for $20 my 15-2116 works great except for speed. Newer RF remotes seem to cost at least $100+ and can't be programmed as extensive as my 15-2116 can.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just slow in RF mode, or is the remote also slow when used as an IR remote?

Do you really have a 15-2117, or did you modify the 15-2116 to send RF signals? The factory version of the 15-2116 doesn't have an RF transmitter onboard, which is the only difference between the 15-2116 and 15-2117.
sofakng

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the fast reply Rob!

I'm using the 15-2117. Sorry! My remote came with built-in RF and with the receiver so I always get the 2116 and 2117 confused.

The remote is very slow even with regular IR.

It's been a while since I've programmed the remote but I believe I'm also using an extender on the remote (but I could be mistaken). I'm also not using any macros. I'm only using regular key codes, etc.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're unsure whether you're using an extender or not, you should download your remotes memory using IR.exe and post a copy of the file in the Diagnosis Area. Then post a link to it here and we can tell you whether you're using an extender or not, and which version.
sofakng

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the extender speed up the remote?

How would the speed compare to one of the URC "high end" remotes like the MX-980 or MX-810, etc?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2116/2117 is pretty much real-time out of the box (no idea if URC is faster or not). There is something wrong with your remote or environment. Could be anything from dirty contacts to the wrong upgrades to RF and/or IR interference. The extender only speeds up macros. If you don't have any macros, you're not running the extender.

When did it start acting slow? Is it only slow with certain devices? Go ahead and upload your files so we don't have to guess.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender does slightly speeds up normal keypresses since it doesn't do any of the every-keypress checking that the unextended remote does.

the extender SIGNIFICANTLY speeds up macros, so much so that many people have to put delays in between commands to slow it down. The unextended remote adds a delay intentionally between every key in the macro. The extended remote does not.
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everybody.

It's been a very long time since I've programmed my remote control and my new computer doesn't have a parallel port so my JP1 cable won't work and thus I can't get the files off it. Sad

Oh well... thanks for the help anyways everybody!
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a USB version of a JP1 cable available here, if you're interested.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
sofakng

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I'll think about ordering one of those but I might just want to consider getting a new remote.

What other JP1 remotes have RF receivers? Do any of them support "advanced" functions like sending RF to individual IR lines of an RF receiver? (eg. instead of the RF-to-IR being blasted to every IR port, it would be nice to send the signal to individual lines, etc)

I really love the power of JP1 and I'd love to stick with it but I'm not sure if the kind of remote I'm asking about exists in JP1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sofakng wrote:
Do any of them support "advanced" functions like sending RF to individual IR lines of an RF receiver? (eg. instead of the RF-to-IR being blasted to every IR port, it would be nice to send the signal to individual lines, etc)

The only remotes with addressable RF lines (that I know of) are in the upper end of the MX- series HTM remotes (I forget the model number) but I know that you'll be looking at spending about $1k.
sofakng

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply again Rob.

I think the Logitech MX-890 has addressable RF lines for around $200 - $250 and you can also find the URC MX-810 and MX-980 for around $300 - $350 if you find a good private dealer, but those are nowhere near the price (and flexibility) of the JP1 remotes.

Anyways, do any other RF remotes exist with JP1 beside the RS 15-2117 and URC-9910 (which uses the same base station?)?

Thanks again Rob!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They added RF to the URC-9960 Kameleon and called it URC-9964. There are also some older JP1 remotes with RF, such as the Radio Shack 15-1919 and the One For All URC-9800.
sofakng

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've managed to get a hold of a computer with a parallel port.

Here is my current JP1 setup: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6382

Please let me know if you see why the remote is so slow.

Could maybe the custom LCD labels be causing it?

Thanks a ton for any help!
sofakng

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made an interesting discovery today...

If I LEARN the IR signal from my original remotes, then my RS 15-2117 is LIGHTNING fast with those commands.

However, if I use keymap master and setup the device manually it is much, much slower.

The protocol is the same (MCE) from the learned signal and the keymap master setup so I don't understand why the learned signal is faster but it's MUCH faster.

Can anybody shed some light on this or help me configure keymap master to send a signal just as fast as the learned one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: