JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR.exe v8.00 Beta now posted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I'll leave the [FixedData] stuff in there for version control.

BTW, I just uploaded versions of all of the JP1.3 extenders that I have been working on that have the support for the new Pause timing that is in IR 8.0.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Bill

It's not "no name on the PauseParams", it is "no username on the SpecialProtocols entry". The syntax doesn't change if you omit the "(Pause)", as the username defaults to the RDF name, i.e. to the name on the left of the "=". So it is just:

[SpecialProtocols]
Pause=01FB

[General]
PauseParams=Pause, 2/1, 10

This means, of course, that you don't need to change the [SpecialProtocols] entry from its old form, you just add the PauseParams entry in the [General] section. The bracketed usernames really come into play when you want to support two alternative Pause protocols in the RDF.

For Rob

Thanks for the extra info. I want to find out how the setting of the remote's time from the computer clock is done, so I will explore further. I don't intend to use the URC-8550 again "for real", but it is so different from my URC-7781 that investigating it adds a lot to my pool of JP1 knowledge.

Graham
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent you invites to the Yahoo groups so you can do your research on the URC-8550.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of this discussion is somewhat above my comprehension level, but I have been tracking it pretty regularly. Sounds like this update to IR provides quite a bit of user-friendliness and significant increase in capability. I look forward to using it.

Forward and backward compatibility, however, seem to be a concern to me.

How will this impact existing databases? As I read this, every RDF will have to be modified to take advantage of this new version of IR. Is that correct? Who is taking that task on? Will it still work with "old-style" RDFs? I see that Greg is working pretty closely here to ensure that RM will retain comapatibility as the RDFs evolve.

I imagine the guy who used the tools to set up his URC-8910 a year ago and next month he returns and wants to program his new URC-8820. He downloads the new RDF. Will it work with his old RM and IR? Or will he have to update ALL of the tools? After updating the tools, will his old URC-8910 IR file open properly? or will we have to retain legacy tools to convert old IR and RM files into this new style?

Perhaps this is all accounted for, but it's unclear to me at this point.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips, I hope I can set your mind at rest about backward compatibility. IR version 8.00 works perfectly happily with existing RDFs. With one exception, the user will see exactly what he/she is used to seeing and it will work in exactly the same way as before. There are no changes to the format of .ir files, so old .ir files work with the new IR version and new .ir files work with all the old tools.

The exception mentioned is the Pause special protocol, which by default shows the new user-friendly interface in which you specify the pause duration in seconds. This will work correctly with the stand-alone Pause protocol available through RM but may give a wrong translation of duration to protocol data (probably by less than a factor of 2) with Pause protocols built into extenders. The "old" interface (i.e. raw hex) is available, if preferred, just by checking the "Hex" box.

RDFs that take advantage of the new facilities work perfectly happily with RemoteMaster in RM mode, as they do with other tools such as ExtInstall. Whether such new RDFs will work with old versions of IR.exe (or current versions of RMIR) depends on which of the new RDF capabilities have been used. The ones that may cause problems are the syntax extensions in the [SpecialProtocols] section, and entries in the [DeviceButtons] section that give default device setup codes.

I presume a user won't download updated RDFs without also downloading the updated IR.exe, so the incompatibilities I have just mentioned should have little practical significance. I can assure you that backward compatibility has been kept in mind, and maintained as far as practicable, throughout this development exercise.

Graham
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been giving some thought to the problems of compatibility between different versions of IR.exe, RDF files and extenders. Some of the enhancements to the RDF syntax that have been introduced for IR 8.00 will be seen as errors, or will be misinterpreted, by earlier versions of IR.exe. Also, Bill and I are creating new versions of our extenders that will include auto clock setting from the computer's clock and which will rely on the version of IR.exe being 8.00 or later for this to work correctly. I would like views on the following suggestions to meet these problems.

Compatibility between RDFs and IR.exe

IR versions 7.xx (and presumably earlier ones back to some unknown point) refuse to load an RDF file, or a .ir file requiring such an RDF file, if that file does not contain the entry

RDFsync=3

in the [General] section. They give an error message
Quote:

The RDF file is not in sync with this version of the program. Please copy all RDF files along with the executable program when installing a new version.

and IR.exe then opens with, or remains open with, whatever was last used.

I haven't been able to find when the RDFsync parameter was introduced, but I presume it came in with a version of IR that was not backward compatible with earlier RDFs. The problem we now have, however, is one of forward incompatibility - new RDFs that cause problems for older IR versions. To meet this, I suggest that the enhanced RDF specification used by IR 8.00 is called RDF File Specification Version 4, and that RDFs which use features specific to this version contain

RDFsync=4

If an earlier version of IR.exe tries to load such an RDF, the load will fail with the above error message. This isn't ideal as the message implies that the the RDF file is too old, rather than too new, to be supported by that version of IR.exe but it does achieve the aim of stopping someone from using an RDF that could cause problems for their version of IR.exe.

There is no backward compatibility issue with IR 8.00. It works as expected with RDFs with RDFsync=3. I cannot foresee any reason why future versions of IR.exe should not be backward compatible as far as RDF Spec Version 3. Also, I would expect that the RDF Spec version number would not be increased again, to 5, until future enhancements to the spec are such as would cause potential problems of forward compatibility with IR versions supporting RDF Spec 4. I therefore suggest that IR 8.00 be set to accept both RDFsync values 3 and 4. Since RDFs are no longer distributed with each IR version, I would also change the error message to
Quote:
The RDF file uses RDF File Specification Version x. This version of IR.exe only supports Versions 3 and 4. Please download an RDF file for your remote that uses either of these versions.

where x would be replaced by the RDFsync value from the file.

Finally I suggest changing the Welcome message that appears whenever you first use a new version of IR.exe. At present it says
Quote:
Welcome to IR version x.yz. If you haven''t already done so, please download the most current Remote Definition Files (RDFs) and put them into the same directory as the IR executable. RDFs are available in the Tools area of the JP1 Files section. (RDFs are no longer included in the IR distribution zip.)

I find this annoying with every minor upgrade to IR.exe, though the appearance of some message is useful as it confirms that you are actually using your newly downloaded version. I would suggest instead
Quote:
Welcome to IR version x.yz. This version supports Remote Definition Files (RDFs) that meet either Version 3 or Version 4 of the RDF File Specification. If you haven''t already done so, you may wish to see if there is a Version 4 RDF available for your remote(s). RDFs are available in the Tools area of the JP1 Files section. (RDFs are no longer included in the IR distribution zip.

Compatibility between IR.exe and extenders

Bill has suggested that there should be a new entry for the RDF [General] section, say with syntax

IRVersionAddr=Addr

where Addr is the address of an EEPROM byte. If this entry is present then IR.exe will put its version into this byte, in the same way that the current time is put into EEPROM if there is a TimeAddr entry in the RDF. The byte format would be the major and minor version numbers in BCD format, e.g $80 for version 8.00. This value could then be tested by extenders that are sensitive to the IR version being used.

I support this suggestion and have another, a sort of converse. When a remote has an extender, I would like the extender version to be shown on the Raw Data page of IR.exe. An RDF entry would be needed to give the version data, and the version line on the Raw Data page would be hidden unless the RDF had such an entry. I'm not sure if each extender version has its own RDF, but if it does then a simple entry like

ExtenderVersion=Version

would do, where Version is the text to appear on the Raw Data page. If different extender versions share a common RDF then I would welcome suggestions as to an RDF entry that would work for the range of extenders that are out there.

Graham
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham

All of my extenders (URC-9960B01, URC6960, and all of the JP1. extenders) have a version number in the data. It is two bytes, one major another minor version. If you want to do something different, let me know and I can change it.

It would be helpful in the remote to know which version of IR loaded it, that way if we know of incompatibilities we can try to program around them in the remote. But the overhead of doing so is often an issue since the remotes have very few resources while IR has more. If we can find a way to do all of what we need with the desktop app (IR, RMIR, RM) then I suggest we do so as the remotes are already pressed for space.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

What is the format of your two version bytes - ASCII (1 = $31) or Hex (1 = $01) or something else? Do you normally use a separator (dot or something) if you write the version?

Is your second para supporting my interpretation of your suggestion? I wrote
Quote:
Bill has suggested that there should be a new entry for the RDF [General] section, say with syntax

IRVersionAddr=Addr

where Addr is the address of an EEPROM byte. If this entry is present then IR.exe will put its version into this byte, in the same way that the current time is put into EEPROM if there is a TimeAddr entry in the RDF.

or is it saying something different? I think that perhaps you are now saying that since IR 7 and earlier doesn't allow you to load an RDF with RDFsync=4 (I've experimented and this really is what happens) then that would meet your need, without having the IR version passed to the extender. Could you clarify your present thinking on this, please?

Graham
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The format of my extender versions is:
Byte 1: Major version, in hex (i.e $02 is version 2.x)
Byte 2: minor version, in hex (i.e. $03 is version x.03)

The current atlas version is $02 $04 or 2.04

I generally put the two byte version at the end of the extender in the E2 area (for example the Atlas one is at $1FE)

I support putting a single byte with the IR version in it, but I'm just cautious that the extender doesn't have a lot of flexibility so if we can do things on the desktop side we should. It'll always be helpful for the extender to know the version of IR that programming it.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going to distinguish between IR versions and RM(IR) versions?
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooh... good question. Yet another reason to try to keep the heavy lifting on the desktop side and not the the remote side.

Perhaps an RDF Sync version is what we really need where we can talk about "feature versions" and not software versions?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Greg, I hadn't thought of that one. Would you be happy with Bill's answer, so we have

RDFVersionAddr=Addr

with the highest RDFsync value supported by IR or RMIR being written to the given address? The extender would have to cope with this entry being ignored by current versions of IR and RMIR. Perhaps the byte addressed by Addr could be set to $03 by [AutoSet], so the extender would see Version 3 from IR and RMIR versions that didn't recognise the RDFVersionAddr entry.

I would make this entry operate in the same way as TimeAddr, in that the byte value is written to the remote but not to the IR buffer. On an Upload to Remote command the buffer value of the byte is saved, the new value written, the buffer uploaded to the remote and finally the original buffer value is restored. That way, the RDFsync value would never get recorded in a saved .ir file. This byte could therefore be $03 permanently in the .ir file but would be written to the remote as $04 by IR 8.00.

Graham
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have put the following new functionality into IR 8.00 Beta 5 (which will be uploaded shortly in the File Section):

1. The changes concerning RDFsync and the associated messages that I proposed in my recent posting in this thread. In particular the enhanced version of the RDF spec supported by IR 8.00 is now called Version 4, and IR 8.00 accepts RDFs of either Versions 3 or 4.

2. An enhanced syntax for the TimeAddr entry in the [General] section, to meet the needs of current processors. This is now

TimeAddr=Addr[, Format]

where Addr is the start address for the three time bytes and the optional Format is one of

Hex - the default value, giving the old Producer 8 format
BCD12 - newer US remotes, hours is BCD value 1-12 with bit 5 = 0 for AM, 1 for PM
BCD24 - newer European remotes, hours is BCD value 0-23

For both BCD formats, minutes is BCD value 0-59 and day is 1-7 with day 1 = Monday.

3. In the [General] section, a new entry

RDFVersionAddr=Addr

When this is present, it implicitly adds an [AutoSet] entry with Addr as its address and the maximum supported RDFsync value as its data. If there is an actual entry in the [AutoSet] section with address Addr, then this is overwritten. This means that you can put a default RDF Version (normally 3) into the [AutoSet] section which will be used by IR.exe versions that do not support this new entry - provided, of course, there is nothing in the RDF that is incompatible with RDF Spec Version 3.

4. Also in the [General] section, a new entry to allow the Extender Version to be shown on the Raw Data page. This is

ExtenderVersionAddr=Addr1, Format1[, Addr2]

where

Addr1 is the EEPROM address of the major (or only) version byte
Format1 is the format of this byte, either Hex (eg '1' encoded as $01) or Asc (eg '1' encoded as $31)
Addr2 is the EEPROM address of the minor version byte (if needed), format always Hex.

The Asc option is needed for my URC-7780/81 extenders, where the versions are A1 and (shortly) A2. When Format1 is Asc, there is no separator between the major and minor values. When Format1 is Hex, there is a '.' separator and the minor value is two digits, with a leading zero if < 10.

5. A marker, as discussed earlier in this thread, for .ir files that have been produced entirely within IR.exe - possible when the RDF on its own creates a 981 Reset state (or equivalent). The marker is the date of loading of the RDF, as three BCD values written to the last three bytes of the Advanced Code area. To avoid a question of US/European ordering, I have used the international ordering year-month-day. This date is overwritten when a .ir file is loaded, but if that .ir file has been created entirely within IR.exe then it will contain the date present when it was saved.

There is also a minor change to the handling of part of the new Special Protocols syntax, as I had misunderstood one of Mike's requirements.

If any of the above enhancements cause you difficulties, please post them here.

Graham
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted IR 8.00 Beta 5 here. It includes everything described in the preceding post and two more minor changes: (1) improved glyphs for the toolbar buttons, (2) corrected handling of Export to Wav for HCS08 remotes. Item (2) is described in this thread.

I have been thinking about how to handle the development and issue of RDFs that are specific to RDF Spec Version 4. I see no reason why RDFs that use entries new to RDF4, but do not use syntax enhancements of RDF3 entries, should not continue to say RDFspec=3. This assumes that all applications using RDFs ignore entries that they do not need. (Is this true?). RDFs that use syntax enhancements of RDF3 entries would have RDFspec=4. Does this seem OK?

The RDF files included in the Beta 5 package now say RDF4 in their names (previously they said they were for IR8.00) and have RDFsync=4 in their data. This removes any explicit mention of IR.exe as distinct from RMIR.

It would be nice if we could have a new category, RDF4 Files, in the Tools file section for RDFs that say RDFspec=4.

Graham
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg will have to speak for how RM would handle the RDF's since I don't remember exactly but I do think it ignores things it does not recognise in most cases.

I do however see no reason why IR could not handle RDF's with RDFsync=3 as if they were purely RDF3. If they have RDFsync=4 then they should handle them as RDF 4's expecting new parameters.

I really don't like the idea of adding RDF4 to the name of the file and am assuming you are not suggesting that. So, the big question is if we update an RDF to 4 and delete the RDF 3 version what will IR do with upgrades that were built on RDF 3? You may have addressed that but I don't remember.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: