JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trouble navigating with comcast custom DVR Remote

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdeluca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Trouble navigating with comcast custom DVR Remote Reply with quote

Hi- I can't get my Comcast custom DVR 3 device Remote to navigate when in DVR mode. Sometimes I can get to the DVR selections on my TV screen but it seems I'm locked in and can't move to any of the selection buttons. The TV is a Panasonic TH-50PX50U. Prior to upgrading from my previous comcast box to the DVR box I had no issues making selections with my remote. OBTW - Comcast came to my home 3 times and had no solution.
Any help will be appreciated.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JD,

I'm a little confused. Is it the TV you can't control, or is it the DVR box? I

When Comcast came out to fix your problem did they try a different remote?

Does it work for a while and then quit working?

When you can't control the DVR, is the CBL light lighting, or is another LED being illuminated?
jdeluca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - It's the the DVR (thats part of the cable box) that I can't control. Comcast tried several different remotes. The DVR will work for a bit and then freeze up (meaning I can't mve to a selection box on the screen. There is an indicator on the LED screen that blinks on when the remotes works (I can select DVR). Also - if I shut the TV off the remote works. The cable box light blinks (right next to where the numbers are displayed) indicating it received a signal from the remote, and when I turn the TV on the selection is made.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, that is very odd. I don't see how turning the TV off is going to let the DVR work better.

I do have a set-top-box that becomes unresponsive to a remote, it seems to happen when I have power problems or when guide downloads are running in the background.

Have you tried plugging the DVR box and the TV into different outlets?

is the equipment plugged into a surge protector?
jdeluca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vicky - Agree, it is strange but when the TV is off the remote / cable box work just fine. You can see the light blinking in the cable box display. I'll try your outlet suggestions but I think it's a signal problem caused by the TV. I just don't know how it's happening.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came across some posts in AVS forum (DVD Standard Definition subforum) regarding "interference" between some TV's and DVD players. Turn off the DVD player and the TV responds to remote commands. DVD player on, it does not. Look HERE

Your set is a plasma correct? Plasmas emitt lots of IR. Try this, IIRC, clear scotch tape or paper placed on the IR receiver of the TV, maybe more than 1 layer, solved the problem problem.

Best,
jeff
jdeluca

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky / Jeff - I found out what my problem was. My TV (Panasonic) picture setting was set to Vivid. I reset it to standard and the remote et al are working fine!
Thanks for your help on this.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assumption being that in "vivid" mode, the plasma is emitting too much IR light and causing interference with the remote when you try to control another device, like your DVR box. Interesting. Something to remember in case we see this problem again.
greenough1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it worked out. I think for some LCD panels, people are reporting similar interference from the back-lights and have to turn them down to avoid IR interference.

I note that when I turn on 10 CFL lights in my kitchen (60 Watt equivalent), that my IR receiver for the IR distribution system, glows weakly blue (indication that it's receiving an IR signal). It goes away once they "warm-up".

Best,
jeff
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CFLs, plasmas and LCD backlights are potential sources of IR interference. This slightly technical document from Vishay discusses them, if you are interested in the details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: