JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kameleon 8 URC-8308 issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faxthefox83

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Kameleon 8 URC-8308 issue Reply with quote

HI all,
I'm a real beginner in the JP1 world, and today it's the first time I've heard about it...
I purchased this OFA remote and found it OK. Unfortunately I had problems with the PCH A110 ( here the WIKI of the product remote http://www.networkedmediatank.com/wiki/index.php/Remote_Control ):

The learning function doesn't work with the PCH remote.
The Italian Helpdesk doesn't seem to know the code nor the device. So no WAV.

Now my questions:
Can I somehow convert the JP1 filecode listed here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5565
in a WAV file compatible with my OFA?

If not, which is the procedure to make my OFA work with the jp1.exe?
I've been through a lot of info on this forum but none of it really clear and fully helpful for my issue...

I hope everything was clear. Thanks to all!!!!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forget where we have instructions for producing a .wav file, but they are somewhere in this web site.

That upgrade file is quite ordinary, so there would be no problems with a .wav file for any model that can use .wav files.

Creating a .wav file is probably your best choice. But the signals are ordinary and easy for a Kameleon to learn. So your learning problem probably can be fixed.

My first guess is that the original remote is picky about batteries and may send a weak signal unless its batteries are brand new. A learning remote, including the Kameleon will have more trouble with a weak signal than the original device would have. So the signal from the original remote may be strong enough to operate that device, but not strong enough to be learned.

There also might be problems with aiming or distance in learning. The original remote might concentrate the signal in a different direction than you expect, so you may need to try a few off angles to find the best learning point. Also learning can be very picky about the exact distance between the two remotes. You might need to try a few different distances (from almost touching out to a few inches apart).

If the upgrade you found is for the correct PCH model, then creating a .wav file would be better and probably easier than getting learning to work. I'm just pointing out that learning is also an available approach.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in attaching a JP1 (Flash) cable to your remote, read this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=66257#66257

As we haven't seen a user with this remote before, we don't have much info on it, so it would be helpful if you went this route.

With regards to creating a WAV file, we would first need to know the signature for your remote, and the next problem is that I don't think we have an RDF for it.

Your first step should be to determine which version of the remote you have by following the instructions here:
http://www.oneforall.com/internetdownload_kameleon/k8uk.html

I think the answer that you get (ie, # 1115, 1142 or 1158) will give us the remote's signature, but not much else. You should then sign up with the OFA site and download some upgrades in a WAV file. Load the resulting WAV file in the Diagnosis Area and post a link to it. This might give us some clues as to how to continue.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
You should then sign up with the OFA site and download some upgrades in a WAV file. Load the resulting WAV file in the Diagnosis Area and post a link to it.

When I answered earlier, I wasn't aware that the JP1 experts hadn't yet seen any data from that model of Kameleon, so we have no RDF file for it.

I think some of what Rob said may have been unclear, so I'll try to explain it.

It would be easier for you to add a new code set to your Kameleon by JP1 cable than by .wav file. But either way, first the experts here need to create an RDF file for that model.

It would be easier to create an RDF file based on information from a few downloads from the Kameleon via JP1 cable. But we probably can deduce enough for a working RDF file from just the information in a few upgrades inside .wav file(s).

The .wav file(s) don't need to have any close relationship to the specific device you want to control (the PCH A110), but it would help to have an upgrade in the .wav file for the same type of device The PCH A110 is a set top box, right? So maybe an upgrade for any brand of cable or satellite set top box would be helpful. But the upgrade you linked to for the "A-100 Popcorn Hour STB" was configured as if it were a DVD. I don't know enough about the PCH device to know whether making the remote think it was a DVD was done for some reason specific to the OneForAll-8810 or whether even in a Kameleon you might want to use a DVD type upgrade. So maybe an upgrade for some DVD would be good to include in .wav file(s).
faxthefox83

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.
I followed the good advice on the learning procedure but any way I try to get the OFA to learn, it just doesn't recognize the IR flow.
I reviewed the article on modding the remote but the necessary tech skills are far beyond my knowledge... So the best choice for me would be to create the wav file.
I went on the website and figured out following the instructions that my software version is 1142.
Then I tried to download some wav files but had no luck. The only upgrades I can get to are some four digits numeric codes not really helpful for my issue. Then I tried the usual search on google to get a wav sample from another source, but again with no luck. What am I supposed to do now? I got a 50 EU worth remote that doesnt do what is intended for, at least not completely, and the italian helpdesk that is supposed to solve the problem is ridiculously unprepared...
Thank you again

Marco
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your warranty. In the past, certainly, OFA have promised to either find you a code or send you a WAV file that will work most of your functions or you can send it in to them and they'll upgrade it for you. I would write to them and say that neither the web-based FAQ nor the Helpdesk has been able to resolve your problem.

European Head Office:
Universal Electronics BV
Customer Contact Center
Institutenweg 21
7521 PH Enschede
The Netherlands
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edit: After reading Rob's reply to you, I now think I misunderstood what you meant by "The only upgrades I can get to". If that didn't mean .wav files, then most of what I said in this post isn't useful.

faxthefox83 wrote:
Then I tried to download some wav files

Wav files specific to your model of Kameleon from the One For All web site?

If so, post them to our diagnosis folder.

Quote:
but had no luck. The only upgrades I can get to are some four digits numeric codes not really helpful for my issue.

If we had those .wav files, we could probably deduce enough to write an rdf file that would let you create the correct .wav file with JP1 software.

Quote:
Then I tried the usual search on google to get a wav sample from another source,

There aren't a lot of Kameleon .wav files available from any sources other than OneForAll and us.

Last edited by johnsfine on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

faxthefox83 wrote:
I went on the website and figured out following the instructions that my software version is 1142.
Then I tried to download some wav files but had no luck. The only upgrades I can get to are some four digits numeric codes not really helpful for my issue.

I tried to do the same and I couldn't find a way to get a WAV download either, they must have changed the site since the Audiovox take-over. I'll see if I can get one via other means.
visiondiez

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I tried to do the same and I couldn't find a way to get a WAV download either, they must have changed the site since the Audiovox take-over. I'll see if I can get one via other means.

This is my first post here, thank you for this wonderful forum and greetings from Spain. One For All must have changed again their site, because I have managed to download a WAV file for the URC-8305. It is only an upgrade for a Sony Home Theater System, HT-DDW830. The file is here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6783

I just got a brand new but heavily discounted Kameleon URC-8305 from Carrefour for 10 EUR and I would like to be able to perform WAV upgrades to the remote. I have tried the method documented in the forum, with the URC-8305 RDF file posted in the File section (unfortunately, there are no maps or images). The remote will not take any WAV upgrade generated by IR.exe and IRtoWAV. However, the URC-8305 will happily accept the WAV file downloaded from the One For All site.

Any kind soul willing to take a look at the WAV file I uploaded to see if there is a way to make RM/IR/IRtoWAV work for this remote? TIA

PS: Software version for the URC-8305 is 1143. When using IR to open the WAV file downloaded from One For All, IR says that the device identified in the upgrade (1143) is not compatible with the URC-8305 defined in the RDF folder.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The URC-8305 RDF in the files section is for the Revision00 remote with signature 1122. I copied that RDF and renamed it for URC-8305R01 11431143 and uploaded it here. I was able to load in your WAV file. The 1143 initial RDF may be incorrect as we have no info on this 1143 remote at this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: