JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony SLV-N71 VCR Repair?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaphod, when HQ vhs vcrs came out, was there really any benefit to this circuitry, or was it only to add the marcovision circuitry? to just replace non-protected vcrs?
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the info at close hand, but there were several HQ components. (3?) Just having one of them was enough to get HQ certification. While there may have a been a slight perceived improvement in picture quality there was no measurable difference. (resolution, s/n, crosstalk) In fact, any reduction in noise or interference was probably due to a loss of resolution.

HQ was the VHS answer to SuperBeta. SuperBeta was, however, a 10-20% increase in resolution and a slight improvement in s/n ratio, both measurable. Smoke and mirrors by the VHS camp.

The simple quality improvement that both formats refused to add was S-Video output from standard format machines. The info is stored on the tape as separate luminance and chroma, so all VCRs would benefit from S-Video input and output, even the standard types. It would not increase the measurable performance but it would have decreased noise and interference and processing induced distortions. The poor (or lack of) comb filters of the time were often confused by the non-NTSC video from a VCR. S-Video would have bypassed those circuits. On the other hand, the special effects processing chips (pause, speed search, slow) were only available for composite video. Even the EDBeta and S-VHS machines dropped to composite in any special effects modes. Rumor was that Macrovision didn't have a version that could be added to S-Video also.
Pudding_man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:

They even shut down all of their tech support phone lines that servicers used to contact the factory, to save money. They canceled 180 authorized servicers for no reason other than being small. They said it cost $5600 per year to support an authorized servicer. (BS) If you multiply 5600x180 you get almost exactly a million dollars so someone thought they could save that amount by eliminating servicers. It doesn't work that way.

Hulluva mess. Did most/all of the hi-volume mnfgrs adopt similar policies in that era?

And where does it stand now? If you had to buy, say, a medium-priced tv or DVD-recorder today, what brands would you consider?

zaphod7501 wrote:
Pictures won't help ...

I didn't think it would, but I guess it was worth a mention.

zaphod7501 wrote:
Make sure you check all the inputs and outputs including RF and line. A bad tuner could kill the Ch3 output but not the line out, and bad jack connections could leave the Ch3 working but not the line out.

Will do. This is the second SLV-N71 that has failed with the same symptoms. I have 3 more in service. The Rube Goldberg mechanical stuff seems OK. If it were just a capacitor (or somesuch), I might be able to fix-fix: if it's a chip, the units will become dead, kaput, and pues muerto.

Thx,
P
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pudding_man wrote:

Hulluva mess. Did most/all of the hi-volume mnfgrs adopt similar policies in that era?

Pretty much, yes. The low level companies never even had servicers.

Quote:
And where does it stand now? If you had to buy, say, a medium-priced tv or DVD-recorder today, what brands would you consider?
Thx,
P

If you accept the fact that none of them will last reliably for more than about 5 years and that an extended warranty is essential, then the brand is not very important. Performance on analog, upscaled SD, DVDs, and marginal signals will be noticeable better on the big 4. (Sony, Hitachi, Panasonic, Mitsubishi) Performance on true HD, once properly adjusted, will be almost indistinguishable between brands. 70-90% of content is not true HD right now and will remain that way for the next 5-10 years.

The choice of a TV must include the intended use, signal source, seating distance, and room lighting. In some cases the $200 House Brand 27" Tube TV (or SDTV) is the best choice.

As for DVD-Recorders, you have a choice between Panasonic ,the others, and the junk. Panasonic is about the only one who builds their own. Philips and JVC are probably OK. (ironically Magnavox - the same company as Philips - is not) Samsung is the typical Korean set (no quality control on any Korean product) with random catastrophic failures but they are still better than the no-name junk, like Polaroid.
Pudding_man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a very interesting review of the current market. I'm not buying much in the way of new eqpt., but I got this ancient (1987) Panasonic tv that *has* to roll over and die some day (and I got no backup).

Thanks also for help with the VCR. I can't find -anything- wrong with it, so I guess I'll store it for extra parts. Interesting to note, 3 SLV-N71's have sold on Ebay in the last 3 days ($45-$65), so I guess folks still find 'em useful. I would've expected lower prices and less turnover.

Best,
Puddin'
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the stores were clearing them out for $20 each, the prices were low, but now that just about everybody has stopped making them, the prices will go up.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the high end Beta machines have been known to go for over $500
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: