JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need help setting up a Comcast M1067B3 remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Need help setting up a Comcast M1067B3 remote Reply with quote

I'm not sure what's useful to post about my current setup, but I'm posting things that I think might be meaningful, and my objectives here. Then I'll begin discussing what I don't understand in the reply following this one.

My remote is a Comcast M1067B3 (sig 30393039).

Here's the Summary from the IR program:
Code:
DEVICE BUTTONS:
#   Button   Type       Code
1   CBL      Cable      1877
2   TV       CD/Audio   1759
3   AUX      TV         0812
4   dev3     CD/Audio   0331

OTHER SETTINGS:
#   Setting      Value
1   VPT Device   TV
2   VPT Status   On

Audio device is a Sony HTCT100 Sound Bar with Sub-Woofer, as discussed here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10425

DVD is a Toshiba D-R410KU Player/Recorder, as discussed here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10496

My objectives:

o To make volume and mute work in all three modes of the Comcast remote -- Cable, TV and Aux. These buttons will become DVR, TV and DVD/Sound System.

o To move the TV functions to the TV buttons (The TV is currently in AUX and the sound system in TV so volume and mute worked for all devices.

o To move the sound system to AUX, and combine the basic functions of both the DVD and sound system into the Aux mode. As such I want to program the number buttons 1, 2 & 3 of the Aux mode to switch between DVR, TV & DVD respectively. Also, I want to program the Play, Fast Forward, Fast Backward, Pause, Stop, and Record buttons of the Aux mode to operate these functions of DVD player.

o To disable the On Demand button on the Comcast remote
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Keymap spreadsheet does not have my remote listed. There is a 1067A but no 1067B3

A few of the many things I don’t understand:

o Does the KM spreadsheet only program one device mode at a time?

o If I’m to configure the AUX mode to have the sound system and DVD functions I assume I must transfer the known ones from the IR program to the KM sheet? If so, how do I do that?

o How do I acquire the unknown functions?

o The functions of my DVD player seem to be in a RMDU file, but the KM spreadsheet does not recognize RMDU files
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you post a copy of the IR file that you were able to download from the remote please. Load it into the Diagnosis Area folder then post a link to it here.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install RM to read RMDU files.

Last edited by mdavej on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's here http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6100

I have now modified the way it was in my OP above. The sound system is now in AUX and the TV in TV with the audio from AUX used in all three mode/device buttons. I have also disabled the On Demand button
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean that you have it set up the way you want it, or is there still something that you need help with?
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Does that mean that you have it set up the way you want it

No. Only the easy part is done. All I've done is rearrange the things that were already in the Comcast remote from using it's code sheet. These things could be done with the IR program alone. It seemed easier to understand than the spreadsheet. It's still pretty much a mystery to me.

Of the "objectives" I stated above most of #3 has not been done. I'll restate it here:

Quote:
I want to combine the basic functions of both the DVD and sound system into the Aux mode. As such, I want to program the number buttons 1, 2 & 3 of the Aux mode to switch between DVR, TV & DVD respectively. (These functions/buttons are on the native remote for the sound system.) Also, I want to program the Play, Fast Forward, Fast Backward, Pause, Stop, and Record buttons of the Aux mode to operate the DVD player.

So far I don't know what I need nor how to use it to program these functions into the appropriate buttons. The code that came with the Comcast remote only makes volume, mute and power work for the sound system, and the Comcast remote had no code at all that operates the DVD.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of it like this, IR is the program that you use to setup your remote (ie, program keymoves and macros and add upgrades) whereas RM is the program that you use to modify the upgrades themselves.

So, if you need a new upgrade, like you do for your DVD player, you should download the appropriate upgrade from the file section, open it using RM, modify it to be for your remote and re-arrange the buttons as you see fit, save it, then copy the results over to IR.

The process is described quite simply here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/rm.shtml

If you find yourself with a device for which we don't have an upgrade, or the upgrade that we do have is missing some buttons that are on your original remote, you could think about using your URC-7800 remotes to capture the info. However, the URC-7800 needs a very minor modification, it needs a 6-pin header (ie, the JP1 connector) to be soldered in, and it uses a different cable to the one that you have.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you find yourself with a device for which we don't have an upgrade, or the upgrade that we do have is missing some buttons that are on your original remote, you could think about using your URC-7800 remotes to capture the info. However, the URC-7800 needs a very minor modification, it needs a 6-pin header (ie, the JP1 connector) to be soldered in, and it uses a different cable to the one that you have.

And if you have patients, you can just hold the 6pin connector inplace with the cable. I was afraid to solder when I first started and for my first 3 years, I did all my IR mods by holding the six pin connector in place with the cable. Sometimes its difficult to get it positioned to get all pins connected without them be soldered. That's why you need to be patient.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm further along than I was last night. I had been trying to learn the KM spreadsheet method of upgrading and creating upgrades. When I had to switch to the RM method it required more learning. I have now successfully transferred the Toshiba upgrade to the AUX function of my Comcast remote as a test and it seems to operate the functions I'm interested in.

I had to remove it and revert to the earlier configuration however, because I haven't yet figured out how to add the sound system functions to the DVD/AUX button.

===========================
My experience has been if you ask multiple questions in the same post people often only answer one. Please answer all the following you know the answers to.

1. Twice now the configuration I uploaded to the Comcast remote went away after an hour or so and the remote reverted to the initial state it came from Comcast. In both cases when I uploaded it a second time it seems to have held. What's this about?

2. In IR program shows a fourth device named "dev3." What is this? I didn't create it and the remote only has three Device buttons -- dev3 isn't one of them?

3. How do I get the EFC key numbers from the IR program so I can add them to the RM program?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_jim wrote:
I had to remove it and revert to the earlier configuration however, because I haven't yet figured out how to add the sound system functions to the DVD/AUX button.

Does your remote support "keymover" (ie, the 994 command)? If so, you could use the 994 command to "copy" buttons from the AUX mode over to DVD mode. Even if the remote doesn't support the 994 command, it may well support the playback of keymoves, so you could program them in IR.

I assume audio/1759 is the code that you are using to work your audio device. Which functions, apart from volume, do you need and which buttons are they currently assigned to?
i_am_jim wrote:
My experience has been if you ask multiple questions in the same post people often only answer one. Please answer all the following you know the answers to.

I can usually answer most posts after having devoted 10 to 15 seconds of attention to them. Your posts are much longer with many more questions buried in them, so it's entirely possible that some questions will get missed.
i_am_jim wrote:
1. Twice now the configuration I uploaded to the Comcast remote went away after an hour or so and the remote reverted to the initial state it came from Comcast. In both cases when I uploaded it a second time it seems to have held. What's this about?

No idea. Sounds like the remote did a 981 reset on itself. Prime suspect: old batteries.

i_am_jim wrote:
2. In IR program shows a fourth device named "dev3." What is this? I didn't create it and the remote only has three Device buttons -- dev3 isn't one of them?

Many remotes have secret extra device buttons. To access the dev3 device mode you would use the dev3 device button. Yes, I know you don't have a physical dev3 device button, but you will see it in the list of buttons in IR, so you could include it in a macro.

My recommendation is that you move the audio code to dev3 and then use macros to access the audio functions. You can also set the VPT to dev3.

i_am_jim wrote:
3. How do I get the EFC key numbers from the IR program so I can add them to the RM program?

You don't.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
i_am_jim wrote:

Does your remote support "keymover" (ie, the 994 command)?

There's no mention of it in the User Guide that came with the remote.

The Robman wrote:
I assume audio/1759 is the code that you are using to work your audio device. Which functions, apart from volume, do you need and which buttons are they currently assigned to?

1759 is correct. The only functions this code has that I need are volume, and mute. But there are three more functions on the Sony remote this code does not have and that I don't know what they are and that I need. They are the source switching functions/buttons for Sat(ellite)/Cable, TV and DVD.

The Robman wrote:
i_am_jim wrote:

I can usually answer most posts after having devoted 10 to 15 seconds of attention to them. Your posts are much longer with many more questions buried in them, so it's entirely possible that some questions will get missed.

That comment wasn't directed to this forum, it was an observation about forums/newsgroups generally.

The Robman wrote:
i_am_jim wrote:

Many remotes have secret extra device buttons. To access the dev3 device mode you would use the dev3 device button. Yes, I know you don't have a physical dev3 device button, but you will see it in the list of buttons in IR, so you could include it in a macro.

My recommendation is that you move the audio code to dev3 and then use macros to access the audio functions. You can also set the VPT to dev3.

So, you don't think it is being used for anything else?

The Robman wrote:
i_am_jim wrote:
You don't.

Hmm . . . That's interesting (and unexpected). It seems like it has to know them in order to program them, therefore I just assumed it could display them so they could be used other ways. Is there another program that can read *.ir files and display these values?

=======================

Below is a picture of the Sony sound system remote with arrows indicating which buttons/functions I don't have values for and that are not included in the 1759 code. This need is how the whole thing began. Adding the DVD to the Comcast remote was just a convienent spinoff.
i_am_jim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To review a little, in this post http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=71845#71845 you felt like you would be able to come up with the three source/input functions that are missing. I thought this might jog your memory about how you were going to try to find them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your Sony thread you established that the 7 button selects the DVD input, so you have one of the 3 input buttons already.

Regarding question #3, you are assuming that the information for the missing buttons is contained in your IR file, which is not true. If you had a learning remote available, you could learn the buttons in question and then you would indeed get the required code values from IR, but in this case, the audio/1759 code doesn't include the buttons in question, and even if it did, the EFC values would be buried in the remote's ROM, so IR would not have visibility to it.

I will review the codes for the functions that you've already found for the sound bar and see if I can come up with some dummy upgrades that you can test to see if we can find the missing functions.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but no one has told Jim that to use the fourth device (dev3), you push SETUP, then AUX, and you are controlling the 4th device.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: