JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Admitting my shame (Harmony ONE & XSight)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK OFA site is down at the moment, so that's why the links don't work.

The last archive taken of it was done in 2006:
http://web.archive.org/web/20060717011021/http://www.oneforall.co.uk/

The Google cache is more recent.

Here's the main UK OFA address (the one that's not working):
http://www.oneforall.co.uk/

Here's the main OFA page about the Xsight:
http://www.oneforall.com/xsight/

and here's the Google cache version.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like $200 price point for the USA.

http://www.ehomeupgrade.com/2009/02/10/xsight-urc-8603-pc-programmable-touch-screen-remote-for-under-200/

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the XSight is not available from Acoustic Research in the USA yet, but I'm going over to the UK next week on a business trip and am toying with the idea of picking one up while I'm there.

If one or two of the US-based JP1-ers is interested, I'm offering to pick one up for you and sell it at cost (plus Priority Mail fixed-rate envelope shipping).

Fair warning - I've seen it advertised at Argos for £147!! When you add VAT, that approaches ~$250USD!!!

I'll try to get the VAT reimbursed (~$65) when I leave the country, but I wouldn't count on it.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't get one while I was there (went to a few Argos and Maplins, since they advertise the XSight on their websites - but none were to be had - not even in the catalogs).

But they are popping up on eBay from folks willing to ship to the USA.

Sebastian1717 and Omega Trading Company are listing them for about $200 US shipped.

EDIT: Please do not assume that the European version of the XSight Touch will direclty control DirecTV receivers via RF. There is no reason to believe that this would be the case, as some have speculated about the US version that is due out in the Spring.

Amazon Firestick

Last edited by Capn Trips on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highly doubt the UK OFA version of the Xsight remote will have the feature that is drawing me to this remote, direct RF control of the current Directv RF receivers. I'll wait for the Acoustic Research version. Smile
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that it will, since on page 16 of the manual, it describes the process to activate or de-activate RF control:

Quote:
Your ONE FOR ALL remote not only outputs Infra Red (IR), but also Radio Frequency (RF). This means it is
compatible with the separately available Xsight RF XTender, allowing you to control you devices even if
they are hidden in a closed cabinet. It is also compatible with ONE FOR ALL Light Accessories, for full
control of your home lighting*.
However if you do not own these accessories, you have the option to turn of the RF Transmission.
1) Select “rf on/off” from the Settings menu. Xsight displays the current RF Transmission status.
2) Select an RF status: “on” or “off” to turn RF transmissions ON or OFF.
3) Select “oK” The remote will save the RF Transmission status.
* Note: ONE FOR ALL accessories may not be available in all territories.

And although as a European remote, it won't mention DirecTV of course, I cannot imagine that UEIC would have different RF encoding for the "RF XTender" (likely not unlike the current RF Extenders for the RS 15-2117 and URC-9910) than they designed into the DTV RF remotes (which UEIC builds, as well, IIRC).

Has anybody actually tested a 2117 or 9910 to see if they can control an RF-enabled DTV box directly?

EDIT: Please do not assume that the European version of the XSight Touch will direclty control DirecTV receivers via RF. There is no reason to believe that this would be the case, as some have speculated about the US version that is due out in the Spring.

Amazon Firestick

Last edited by Capn Trips on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9910 & 2117 have no effect on Directv receivers set to RF, nor the basestations either.

I own 3 Directv RF receivers currently, two R15's and R22. The R15 can be made to accept both IR & RF, where the R22 its one or the other. So the R22 is in IR mode, it will be nice to be able to control all my components, and have the 3 Directv receivers set to RF, so I can still use one of my 3 NFL RF directv remiotes if I wanted to.

Anyways EU components use different frequency than their counterparts over here, always have. This goes for prontos, x10, and others. The Directv Rf frequency is prorietary to Directv only, until now I guess. I don't know how the AR xsight will be controlling non-directv components by RF, I can't see them having two RF frequencies on board?

I also have the Next generation remote extenders in both 433mhz and the 418 mhz versions and neither control UEI RF remotes or Directv receivers directly.

But my URC RF remotes speak directly with 418mhz NG basestation. The URC RF remoes also communicate directly with IR remote extenders sold under x10, rca, and radio shack for the last 20 years.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the press release for the US (AR) version of the XSight Touch quoted in the RC report says:
Quote:
IR (infrared) and RF (433 MHz radio frequency) operation, the latter for controlling DIRECTV boxes and components hidden in a cabinet or out of the remote’s line of sight (requires $99.99 ARRE433B RF Extender Kit)
so it IMPLIES that one and the same RF is used to directly control the DTV box as well as pass signals to the optional RF-IR repeater.

I don't know, nor do I care, since I have no use (currently) for RF and do not have DirecTV (FIOS forever - but they GOTTA fix their DVR!).

Amazon Firestick

Last edited by Capn Trips on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, lets say the EU OFA xsight remote has the same RF frequency that the AR xsight uses, I'll give that. What it doesn't have is way to marry this new RF remote to given Directv receiver. The oem RF directv remotes don't control ALL Directv RF receivers at once, through the use of unique receiver ID #(RID), a directv RF remote will only control a particular receiver. The EU version has no use for such feature.

This conversation is not just to you, its for all, I want them think about this before shelling out $200 for remote that might not even control their directv boxes. Who do you think will be anwsering their pleas on why the remote doesn't work, me, Tivoburkee here:

Directv remote forum

hows it going with that single cable box? I have 6 directv boxes in one room. Thats reason 14 years ago I went with Directv over cable. They still don't have alternate codesets for more then one box in a given room.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm not looking for a fight. I am making NO CLAIMS that the OFA-Europe XSight Touch will control anybody's DirecTV box.

I repeat:

I MAKE NO CLAIM THAT THE OFA-EUROPE XSIGHT REMOTE WILL DIRECTLY CONTROL ANY DIRECTV BOX.

I've added a disclaimer to my previous posts regarding this topic to this effect.

To be frank, I have seen scant indication that even the US-version of the AR XSight Touch remote will do so as well. Aside from one vague mention in a quote of the CES press release on RemoteCentral (I haven't seen an "original" of the press release), which does not really specify that the AR XSight will control a DirecTV box DIRECTLY, WITHOUT use of the "optional RF Extender", NONE of the product brochures even HINT at such a possiblity. All references to RF include an asterisk saying it will only work with that optional RF Extender.

Similarly, the CNET review makes no mention of DirecTV RF control.

I hope that you are correct that the US version of the XSight Touch will allow control of DirecTV boxes directly via RF, but I remain unconvinced at this time. I'm not saying it WON'T, just that I haven't seen convincing evidence indicating that it WILL.

Regardless, I agree that the prudent consumer should wait and ensure that ANY product he spends money on will deliver the performance he/she wants/expects/needs before shelling out his/her dollars, euros, shekels, quatlus or galactic credits.

(All versions of the XSight seem to use the same website for their advanced web-based programming. Both the European OFA and US Acoustic Research sites lead one to the same EZ-RC website.)

Amazon Firestick
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem here, in addition to the RC news release, we have the word first hand to a Moderator at:

dbsTalk
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My contacts at UEI confirm that they will be able to control DirecTV via RF also.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okey-dokey.

Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Initial impression of XSight Touch Reply with quote

I now have in my possession a UK One-for-All URC-8603 XSight Touch remote control Rolling Eyes

Haven't had much time to play with it, but:
(1) Initial setup from the touchscreen is very easy and it walks you right through. You select by device and brand name and then test several functions in each of several codes to see which is the best fit. Afterwards, you can check what the setup code number is. Interestingly, NO built-in code operated my Pioneer receiver - and there were 8 to test!. I'm not worried, since it can learn and download codes from the internet, but that struck me as really odd.;
(2) Can only set up Device control this way. Any "Activities" or Macros require PC setup (haven't connected it yet);
(3) I like the size and feel, although the shiny finish is a fingerprint magnet. (The center section with transport controls is rubberized and would be a better finish for the entire remote, imho);
(4) The touchscreen works fine, if you like that sort of thing (I do);
(5) I like having the color buttons on the remote rather than on the touchscreen (as in the Harmony);
(6) It requires a button press to activate the backlight, as opposed to the Harmony's motion sensor. Not sure yet whether this bothers me or not.
(7) NO JP1 CONNECTOR! When the battery compartment is opened, there is access to an EIGHT-pad array of some sort on the PCB. There was a string of letters/numbers next to it, but I was unable to read them with my failing eyesight in the dim light. It was clearly NOT labeled "JPX.X" Will try to decypher it under better lighting.
(8) Don't ask me about DirecTV control. I doubt it, but there IS a software selection to activate/deactivate RF control, but I believe that this requires purchase of a RF/IR repeater. I will likely never confirm or deny this based on my requirements not calling for any RF.

Amazon Firestick
gregnash

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow the remote looks great and all but at the price of $200 plus another $100 for the RF Extender it is as much as a Logitech. I was hoping someone would put out a decent, programmable RF remote with backlighting for around $100-$150 but doesn't seem like that will happen. Looks like I will be going with a 3rd Party IR Blaster/RF Extender and something like a URC-1056BC-L
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: