JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR543 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gquiring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: IR543 help Reply with quote

I just got an IR543 and I can't get it to control anything except the first module (with the antenna). I have my modules on 1-8 and I tried A, C and O and only the primary module works.

I can turn the first device on or off from the IR543 or my Pronto remote. But if I try my modules on 2,3 or 4 they don't work from the 543 or the Pronto remote. The X10 remote can control all of them.

My X10 modules are very old. I got them at Radio Shack.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A, C and O are "house codes", you only need to change that if you have multiple IR543 units scattered around the house, which it doesn't sound like you do. If you only have one IR543 unit, just use the main A house code.

You control the individual modules by giving them different "unit codes".
gquiring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
A, C and O are "house codes", you only need to change that if you have multiple IR543 units scattered around the house, which it doesn't sound like you do. If you only have one IR543 unit, just use the main A house code.

You control the individual modules by giving them different "unit codes".
My X10 stuff works with the standard RF controller. My issue is the IR543. I tried different codes just to see if that would help. I am unable to control any modules from the IR543 except the primary.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the term "primary" mean in this case?
gquiring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
What does the term "primary" mean in this case?
The X10 module that has the antenna and is device 1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have everything on the same house code?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the RF Transceiver is always unit code #1. If you have appliance and light modules, code them for the same house code as the IR543, give them different unit codes other than #1. and unplug the RF transceiver try to control the modules.
gquiring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
the RF Transceiver is always unit code #1. If you have appliance and light modules, code them for the same house code as the IR543, give them different unit codes other than #1. and unplug the RF transceiver try to control the modules.
So the transceiver is not needed if you have a IR543 in the mix?

Everything is on the same house code. I have 3 modules 1,2 and 3. 1 is the transceiver. 2 and 3 are lamp modules. They all work fine with the standard RF remote. But with the IR543 I can only control #1 from the buttons on the box. I tried unplugging the transceiver but nothing works then.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gquiring wrote:

Right, the transceiver is for handling RF signals, the IR543 converts IR signals into X10 signals.

gquiring wrote:
Everything is on the same house code. I have 3 modules 1,2 and 3. 1 is the transceiver. 2 and 3 are lamp modules. They all work fine with the standard RF remote. But with the IR543 I can only control #1 from the buttons on the box. I tried unplugging the transceiver but nothing works then.

Sometimes it makes a difference where you plug the IR543 in, as the X10 signals travel along the power lines to the modules. Try plugging it into an outlet that's close to the modules and see if it works then.

Btw, what remote are you using to control the IR543?
gquiring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
gquiring wrote:

Right, the transceiver is for handling RF signals, the IR543 converts IR signals into X10 signals.

gquiring wrote:

Sometimes it makes a difference where you plug the IR543 in, as the X10 signals travel along the power lines to the modules. Try plugging it into an outlet that's close to the modules and see if it works then.

Btw, what remote are you using to control the IR543?
Bingo!! I plugged the IR543 into the same outlet as the transceiver and it works the lamp modules now. I am going to use a Pronto 9400 remote, but I only setup a test screen for 1 and 2. The standard RF remote is from Radio Shack model 61-2676. So why is the IR543 fussy on the line when the transceiver is not?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gquiring wrote:
Bingo!! I plugged the IR543 into the same outlet as the transceiver and it works the lamp modules now... So why is the IR543 fussy on the line when the transceiver is not?

Who says the transceiver isn't also fussy? All you have confirmed so far is that both the trans and the IR543 work from the same outlet, did you ever try the trans in the outlet where you previously had the IR543?

All I know is that my X10 controllers work in some outlets and not others. I have an X10 clock that turns lights on and off at given times and it used to work when plugged in upstairs but then it stopped for some reason, but I found that if I moved it downstairs it started working again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> X10 and Home Automation All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: