JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

15-1994 finally wearing out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
autocad23

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: 15-1994 finally wearing out Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm new to the forums but have been using the jp1 interface on RS 15-1994 remotes for years. In fact the reason for my post is that I'm on my second 15-1994 remote and it's buttons are finally starting to go. I doubt I'll be able to find a new replacement. What are my options for new jp1 remotes? Are there other non-jp1 programmable remotes that equal jp1's level of control? Here's a list of stuff I use the remote for:

common:
JVC receiver
Toshiba DVD
DirecTV DVR
Magnavox TV

not so common:
Home built Media PC
X10 devices (IR or RF)

Thanks!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are non-JP1 remotes that can be programmed from the computer, but they are usually a lot more expensive (look for the Pronto or Harmony remotes).

There are several JP1 models available at the moment, but they won't work with your old "EEPROM" JP1 cable, you would need to get a new "Flash" cable to program these remotes using JP1.

If you want a remote that will work with your old cable, your best bet is to try and find a URC-8910 on ebay.

Don't worry about your list of devices, as you can load upgrades for them if the remote doesn't have the right codes built in.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have probably done this already, but have you cleaned the button pad on your existing remotes? About 1/2 of the time cleaning the oil and grease off the circuit board and contact pad will restore normal operation.
autocad23

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I never thought of that. Stupid question: How do I crack open the remote? I see the 2 screws under the batteries but nothing else holding the shell together.

Thanks
Kevin
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the remotes just snap together. Some of the LCD models have specific disassembly instructions but I don't see any for the 1994. A small screwdriver pried between the upper and lower cases is usually all that is required. Start around the battery compartment since you can usually see the demarkation lines there more easily. Be sure to remove those screws too.

I use isopropyl alchohol myself on a cloth or chamois. There are chemical paints that can restore severe damage.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/manuals/rs-l.shtml?15-1994
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a general guide for opening a remote:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble

There's no special trick for opening a 15-1994, but the casing is very tight, so you do run the risk of tearing it up if you're not careful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: