JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Baby Steps...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnormandin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Baby Steps... Reply with quote

Okay... I've spent some time getting familiar with IR and KM and I'm starting to get my head around the basics. I've had most of my questions answered in the 'JP1 for Beginners" guide or old forum posts but one remains.

I'm using RS 15-2116 and select this remote model in KM. The button list updates to represent the remote but identifies some of the buttons with a '@' symbol. From what I understand the '@' symbol identifies a button which doesn't exist on the remote but can be referenced in a macro or somesuch. Some of the buttons (PIP, +100, etc.) DO exist on the remote and are still showing up with this symbol. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ identifies a button which can't be included in the main body of an upgrade in the current device type. It doesn't tell you whether or not the button physically exists.

KM can define buttons as KeyMoves when they can't be included in the main body of the upgrade. It doesn't make much difference unless you're short of KeyMove memory.
Chuck_IV

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
@ identifies a button which can't be included in the main body of an upgrade in the current device type. It doesn't tell you whether or not the button physically exists.

KM can define buttons as KeyMoves when they can't be included in the main body of the upgrade. It doesn't make much difference unless you're short of KeyMove memory.

Out of curiosity why can't certain keys be included in the main body. What prevents it?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no direct knowledge of the design process at UEI, so I can only answer this sort of "why" question with "Someone at UEI designed it that way".

When (as in this case) a given design detail represents significant effort expended by UEI in order to make the product LESS flexible, I can't begin to answer the real "why".

I realize that for those with less JP1 experience, it is not obvious which stupid restrictions exist because UEI designed it that way, vs. which stupid restrictions exist because the programmers in this group didn't have time to do something in a more flexible way. There are both kinds, but this one is definitely UEI's.
jnormandin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, to make sure I've got this right:

For RS 15-2116, PIP is a '@' Key. This means I can't assign an EFP code directly. The workaround is to create a keymove that accesses the same device?

So if I wanted to assign PIP to EFP 216 for my DVD player(1931), I would have to make a keymove something like this:

Bound Device: DVD
Bound Key: PIP
=
Device Button: DVD
Device Type: DVD
Setup Code: 1931
EFC: 216
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnormandin wrote:
Okay, to make sure I've got this right:

For RS 15-2116, PIP is a '@' Key. This means I can't assign an EFP code directly. The workaround is to create a keymove that accesses the same device?

It's true that the PIP button is not included in DVD mode on the 15-2116, but it is included in TV, VCR, CBL and SAT modes. If you look at the "Layout" sheet in KM, you can see exactly which buttons are available in each mode for your remote.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Whether PIP is '@' on a 2116 depends on your choice of device mode. Look at the layout tab of KM for a list of which keys can be in the upgrade body in which device modes.

Neither the fact that the real device is a DVD, nor the fact that you want to use the DVD device button constrains you to use a DVD type upgrade. You can use any type. However, the type does affect what is displayed in the LCD for this device and THAT might make you choose DVD.

2) KM can create the KeyMove for you. Just ignore the '@' and assign the function(s) the way you want. The KeyMove it creates ends up exactly the same as if it were created in IR, but has the advantage of being shown in the buttons and KeyMap tabs of KM (making it easier for you to see what you intended the KeyMove for when you forget that later).

3) If you want to do that KeyMove in IR, I think what you described is correct. Try it. Does it work?
jnormandin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is making more sense to me now. Unfortunately, I get wierd looks when I drag my entertainment system to work with me, so I'll have to wait 'till I get home to play around with it.

Thanks for the assistance! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions when I decide to tackle that toad/frog/dude/grasshopper extension stuff.

Jason
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: