JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MaxView Remotes - JP1?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveoram

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: MaxView Remotes - JP1? Reply with quote

I know I posted this topic about 6 months ago in the Yahoo forums, but it is still bugging me now I have investigated further.

I have a MaxView 4 in 1 remote which is a learning remote. It has pads for a 4 pin connector (I said 3 pin in original post as 1 pin was covered by a foam pad). There is also a C16 EEPROM on the PCB.

As the simple interface has two pins conected together (ie it only uses 4 pins from the remote) is there theposibility that this may infact be a JP1 compatible remote? How would I find out.

The 4 pins are arranged in line (not as two rows) so any suggestions on how to check what pins go where? The main IC's are just the epoxy covered blobs, but the EEPROM is a proper chip. Could I try and Identify JP1 compatibility by tracing the circuit fron the connector to the EEPROM pins, or am I hoping for something which is not possible.

I would love to be able to confirm either way as I wish to have a cheap learning remote as a backup and this was bought to operate my OnDigital (Digital TV through an ariel) box, but it would not operate it.

I can post PCB scans if required, but I would need time to set up my scanner!
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: MaxView Remotes - JP1? Reply with quote

daveoram wrote:
the EEPROM is a proper chip. Could I try and Identify JP1 compatibility by tracing the circuit fron the connector to the EEPROM pins

First you need to use the part and package numbers on the chip to look it up and identify the SDA, SCL, and ground pins in that package.

Next, see if three of the connector pins connect to those three pins on the EEPROM. If you can trace them, great. Otherwise, you might get the answer with a Ohm meter.

If you have access to those three pins, you should have enough to read and write the eeprom with JP1 software (but if it isn't a UEI remote, IR.EXE will have no clue how to edit the eeprom contents in any understandable way).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen any clues that this is a UEI remote? For example, do the setup codes match the normal UEI setup codes, or are they all offset by a fixed amount? Are any of the programming methods similar to the normal UEI programming methods?

Even if you figure out how to read the EEPROM contents, if the remote isn't a UEI remote, none of the JP1 stuff is going to be helpful here.
daveoram

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
No, apart from the fact it has an EEPROM and space for a connector I have no clues - apart from a gut feeling I cannot explain - that it MAY be JP1 compatible. Suppose I will have to trace the data lines and see if I can at least get a code dump off it. Something to pass the time as I have nearly got my 7562 doing all I want - 10 devices at the moment, just 2 more to add
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see any copyright reference to 'Computime' on the PCB. That appears on every UEI PCB I've ever seen.
daveoram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no compututime rferences, perhaps my gut feeling is wrong this time! When I get some more time I may investigate further, just for my own satisfaction. Feelings are though that this time I may be wrong - but there is obviously some sort of factory programming interface there though.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: