JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newb. Help me get ready?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikegerhardt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Newb. Help me get ready? Reply with quote

I just pieced together a system and got HD service from my cable company, only to be disappointed that the remote couldn't do everything I wanted it to do. Not willing to settle for that, I stumbled into the JP1 world here.

I ordered a usb interface, from Tommy Tyler, for my remote (Atlas-5). Now I want to be ready to use it when it arrives. I have started downloading files, but don't really know what to do with them. Here is what I have downloaded:
IR715
kemap-master
RemoteMaster.v1.86
the closest RDF match for each of my devices

What more can I do to be ready? And how do I begin to make all this stuff work?

I enjoy making things work right, and can't wait to get started. Thank you, in advance for helping me get started.

MG
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since you have a cable and a JP1.x flash remote and have downloaded the tools, you're ready for the jp1 beginner sub-forum.

Search the file section for the upgrades that most closely match the devices you have, eg. cable box, TV, DVD player, receiver, etc.

Load them into your remote and see how they work.

jeff
mikegerhardt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I'm sure I'll have some beginner "stupid questions" when I get the cable. I just didn't know if I need to familiarize myself with software. Is it easy to use?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Newb. Help me get ready? Reply with quote

mikegerhardt wrote:
for my remote (Atlas-5).

Quote:
the closest RDF match for each of my devices

RDF files are for the JP1 remotes, not for the controlled devices. So you only need the RDF file for the Atlas-5.

For the devices you want to control, you would want to download either .txt files for KM (also usable in RM) or .rmdu files for RM. If you can't find such a file for one of your devices, you might want to check out CCF files at RemoteCentral. You can get the info yourself throught the Atlas-5, once you have the cable. But you might save effort and experimentation time by finding device info (discrete codes etc.) online.

You can run KM and/or RM and use all their features without needing the cable (in fact they never use the cable). That may be most informative if you found a file for one of your devices and start with that.

You can also run IR without the cable and access most of its features.

Have you figured out which setup codes in the Atlas work some of your devices? We might be able to give more specific suggestions for getting up to speed fast if you post those setup codes.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a lot of work with the software before the cable arrives.

Get familar with IR. If you send me a PM, I'll send you an empty IR file from an Atlas (you need to start with that) let me know which Atlas you have (read the label on the sticker in the battery compartment)

In IR, you can then start to look at which devices you have, which ones have built-in codes, etc. Then you need to start looking at upgrades for those that don'thave codes.

I prefer RM for building upgrades, others KM, but you only really need one (although some remotes are not supported in KM) Like jeff said, look in the files section to see if you can find upgrades that people have already done for devices that are similar to yours. Most manufacturers use similar code sets so the upgrade for a Samsung HL-5678W DLP will likey work on the 42" version or the 61" version. you get the point.

Work on copying and pasting between IR and the program that you use for upgrades (RM or KM)

work on macros, etc.

And of course, the thing you want to spend some time on, while looking at your remote, is how you really want it to behave. This involves some real thought in how you're going to use the remote, etc. This is where you should invest some real time

-bill
mikegerhardt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Yes, I have downloaded the RMDU files that are closest to my devices. Sorry, I'm a little behind the curve on terminology! I'll start playing with the program as you have suggested.

MG
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the beginner's ReadMe thread (linked in my sig below). You have apparently not done so, since you have not downloaded all of the files you need.

What cable do you have? The JP1 (EEPROM) or the JP1.2/1.3 (Flash) type? Hopefully you have one of the Atlases that will match your cable - most are JP1.2/1.3 (Flash) types, but there is one older obscure JP1 version. Check this thread to help you identify which Atlas you have.

To use IR you need only the RDF for YOUR remote, but you do not yet know what that is. Since you do not yet know what RDF matches your remote (Atlases have MANY different remote signatures, and you won't know what yors is until you download from it), you should just download and unzip the ENTIRE RDF.zip file. IR will choose the correct RDF when you download from your remote (contingent on you haveing the compatible cable.

Further, to use RM, if you are going to use upgrades that others have uploaded to the file section, when you first open them, they are unlikely to be built for YOUR remote, but any of the several hundred other JP1 remotes out there. That's why you need ALL of the rdf's unzipped in your rdf directory, so that you can open up any upgrade, and THEN you change the remote type to matach yours and make the button assignments you desire.

So - you need all of the RDFs.

Next, for RM, you also need to download and unzip the latest "Maps and Images" zip file, so that RM's graphical user interface is maximized in its usefulness.

Then open RM adn IR and ensure that when you get some prompts asking for directories, you point the programs to the corect place. Then just explore the programs for a while. Both are pretty intuitive after a while.

Then come back and ask specific questions.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
mikegerhardt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, I have actually done some of these things already. I was careful to order the correct cable that will work with my remote. And I have now downloaded the specific RDF for my remote.

I'm slowly working my way through some of this. It's a lot of info! But I'm game to learn, not easly frightened by technology.

I really appreciate the help I'm getting. You guys respond faster than I can keep up sometimes!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

mikegerhardt wrote:
... I have now downloaded the specific RDF for my remote.

As I explained above:
Capn Trips wrote:
... you need all of the RDFs.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
kupakai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already, take note of unclemiltie's post about getting an empty IR file for Atlas. It's a good idea to first start with downloading data from the remote before adding new upgrades, but since you don't have the cable, yet, it would be good to get the file to start from if you want to make the IR file now.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has the Atlas OCAP (30333033 URC 1056), I sent him a virgin IR file from mine today. The only differene will be the built-in upgrades that ship with the remote, which he can fix when he gets into this.

now, off to the races!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also worth noting that kupakai has a great map for the 1056 HERE based on one of Capn's.

@kupaki,

Would you mind uploading it into the RDF area, and add something to the description about it working with a backlit 1056?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: