JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Airboard and RS 15-2117
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogun

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Airboard and RS 15-2117 Reply with quote

Hi all,

My first post here and I'm just getting started with JP1 remotes. I have a RS 15-2117 and I'm hoping to upgrade a device for the Airboard IR keyboard, using the keymap file from Yahoo!. I've been messing around with the keymap file and have had some luck getting some functions to work, but still haven't figured out many of them.

Is there a function for the mouse pointer? If so, I can't figure it out. I found the drag function, but I'm not sure it's useful without a mouse pointer. After reading several beginner guides, there is still a lot I don't understand, so please forgive my ignorance. I would be very appreciative if someone could explain how to use this keymap to create the device for the Airboard. I don't think I understand how the shift-functions work, which I'm guessing is a lot of my trouble. If someone could explain this, or point me to a reference to learn, I would be thankful.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decoded the airboard based on John Fine's more generalized decoding of ASCII commands. Since I didn't have the hardware I think I did it from a Remote Central Pronto ccf file. I am pretty sure that there wasn't any mouse learned commands there.

Subsequent to that I decoded a Media Player called Prisimiq that had a very similar coding structure to the Airboard but it had somewhat different timing for One and Zero definitions.

Nonetheless, since I have a Prisimiq, I ultimately decoded the mouse commands. They are actually different from all the rest of the keys (still ASCII but 24 bits in one fixed byte and two variable bytes with no check byte), and it is an iterative process to get them right.

It has been six months since I decoded them but IIRC the actual IR protocol is probably complex since they can go in any direction and the slew rate seems to be a function of force on the little round disk or length of hold time or some combination. So the trick for a remote control is to get exactly orthagonal N-S-E-W directions and a moderate slew rate.

So to get started try to learn the arrow keys by moderate pressure and being careful to push only N-S-E-W. Then use those learned keys to verify that they are pretty close to what you want. Then post them, and maybe they will be close enough to what I have done before to use what I already have.

It took a long time but I got them to work pretty well.

So my guess is that this will not be a fast process since there is no one key that is Left just a pattern defined in 16 bits says "go left at a moderate speed".
rogun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the response and for the keymap! I'll try it, but it may take me a while to understand how to do it first. If I'm successful, I'll post my results.

Right now I'm having trouble with the 'alt' key. I've assigned it as a function, to a button, and it works, but then the remote acts as if it's stuck. Any key I push afterwards, acts as if I'd pushed 'alt-<anykey>'. Pushing it again doesn't seem to release it either. My keyboard is also affected, but when I push the 'alt' key on my keyboard, everything returns to normal. What am I missing here?
rogun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed the Alt-Up function in your keymap and now know that it releases the Alt-Dn function, returning everything to normal. I didn't know there were anymore functions, other than the ones listed on the buttons page.

Do both of the Alt functions need to be assigned to seperate buttons or is there a way to simply push one button and have it executed as the alt key on a standard keyboard?

Also, could someone explain how a shift-function keymove works? Is this only for remotes with shift or function buttons? My RS 15-2117 doesn't seem to have one, so does that mean I have no use for them?

Thanks!
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogun wrote:
Also, could someone explain how a shift-function keymove works? Is this only for remotes with shift or function buttons? My RS 15-2117 doesn't seem to have one, so does that mean I have no use for them?

A shifted function is assigned to the shifted version of a button, i.e. Shift-Power. To use a shifted button, you press (do not hold) the green P (setup) button and then press the desired button.
rogun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks Mark!

That opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Now where shall I begin?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To understand how keyboards work, there are two commands for each key. Take the numeral 1. If you press the 1 key and release it you get 1-down, 1-up and then a universal END command. On the KB If you press shift (and hold) and then 1 you get "!". The commands would be shift-down|1-down|1-up|shift-up|end.

Forutunately most key down commands suffice to get what we want in a remote. The shift key on a UEIC remote is used differently than a keyboard. you press and release the shift key and the next key press will be shifted.

When you need a compound key series like ctrl-alt-del than I would suggest creating a macro ctrl|alt|del.
rogun

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see now. Thanks for the explanation! I'm beginning to get the hang of this.

I have another question. I have an audio tuner, for which I couldn't find a keymap. So, I learned the signals and was able create a working keymap file for it. Should I upload this? If so, are there any guidelines I should follow for creating a new keymap file, before uploading?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing would be to name it with manufacturer first. Sony_Tuner_XXX or something like that. It makes it easier to find.

BTW, back to the shift command on a UEIC remote, you can assign a macro to a shift command like shift-Power or a shift-"device" key like shift-TV but you couldn't assign the "shift - down" key from the Airboard to the shift key without an extender and then you would need to reassign the shift function to another key.
rogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you're saying, but it's probably because I haven't messed with extenders yet and don't even know what they are. It seems they have something to do with extending the functions of your remote, but I haven't figured out how yet.

However, you reminded me of another question. Whenever I assign a macro, it assigns it for every device. Can a macro be assigned for only one device, so that it won't affect the function assigned to that key for other devices?

For example, I'd like a macro which starts up a program on my computer, when I press the Power button, while in AUX mode. While in TV mode, I'd still like to be able to turn off my television, by pressing the Power button, and not have it start my computer program or run that macro.

Is it possible?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogun wrote:
I'm not sure what you're saying, but it's probably because I haven't messed with extenders yet and don't even know what they are. It seems they have something to do with extending the functions of your remote, but I haven't figured out how yet.

However, you reminded me of another question. Whenever I assign a macro, it assigns it for every device. Can a macro be assigned for only one device, so that it won't affect the function assigned to that key for other devices?

Yep, what you want to do we call a Device Specific Macro. Search the forum for DSM and you should see some posts on how to do it. You can get the necessary protocol from the Special Protocols spreadsheet in the Yahoo group.
rogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know, but I've found a couple of key functions that don't seem to be right. The 'numpad 0' key shows up as '*' and the 'p' key shows up as '-'.

I learned the 'p' key and it worked fine. However, at some point later it stops working again. This is just a guess, but I think the keyboard may be auto-disabling the 'Fn' key, after some specified period of time, which switches the 'p' key back to '-'. This would explain the problem with the '0' key also, since the '*' is a Function key above the '0' on this board. The other numbers all return the same number when the 'Fn' key is pressed, so they wouldn't be affected. I've setup macros that enable and disable the 'Fn' function before using the 'p' function and they seem to work fine, although there is a greater delay after pressing the key.

Last edited by rogun on Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:51 am; edited 2 times in total
rogun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gjarboni wrote:
rogun wrote:

Yep, what you want to do we call a Device Specific Macro. Search the forum for DSM and you should see some posts on how to do it. You can get the necessary protocol from the Special Protocols spreadsheet in the Yahoo group.

Thanks for the information gjarboni! That's great!
rogun

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon, do you know what these 'Mystery Commands' do or is that why they're labeled mystery commands?
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogun wrote:
Jon, do you know what these 'Mystery Commands' do or is that why they're labeled mystery commands?

I'm sure if Jon knew what the commands did, he would have labeled them (we're not mean Smile).

Maybe an explaination will help. Jon took a CCF file from www.remotecentral.com and decoded it. CCF files are files that Pronto remotes use to store device information (like our device upgrades). A big difference of Pronto remotes is that they use a touch LCD and users can create "buttons" on this screen with whatever names and sizes they like.

Now I'm guessing that some of the buttons didn't have names or had names that didn't explain their function. So Jon decoded these functions, but didn't have any way of knowing what they did. Hence the mystery commands.

You should try them out. Maybe the run macros or unlock some hidden Airboard function. Maybe they'll let you hack into Norad (I wouldn't count on that though). It would help the next airboard user though if you figured out what they did and uploaded a new file with more descriptive explanations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Keyboards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: