JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Combining Denon Combo and RC5 in one remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacobacci

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Combining Denon Combo and RC5 in one remote Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the help in crating my first remote combining several devices.
Now I am building a remote for my father in law as follows and unfortunately I need some help again:

Remote: URC 1210 Contour TV
Device 1: Denon F10 Micro System. Original Remote (RC181). The original Denon remote is not available any more.

I had taken this RMDU as a template
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12863
and created a working RMDU for the F10
My Denon F10 RMDU is uploaded here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26861

Device 2: Vistron VT855N DVB-C Radio. RMDU derived from learned Codes from original remote here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26862
This is the original Vistron Remote

Now I would like to create an RMDU that combines the F10 RMDU and parts of the Vistron RMDU.

The power button should power toggle both devices.
The buttons S1-S8 of the Vistron VT855N should be mapped to the number keys 1-8 of the new remote. The number keys 9 and 0 should stay empty.

I am failing at adding the second device to the RMDU of the Denon F10. Hoping for some help.
Thanks a lot
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Combining these into 1 RMDU file is not the right objective. Load both RMDUs into your 1 RMIR file, then either access them as separate devices, or combine them using keymoves or learning.

I forget whether your remote is multi-device, or if it supports keymoves, so forgive me if that's not possible here.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have given it a go. Unfortunately I can't test, as the equipment is at my inlaws' house. Can you take a look at the rmir, please, which is here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26863
The thing thats missing is that I would like to put a macro on the red power button that toggles power both for the Denon and the Vistron. No idea how to approach that.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jacobacci wrote:
The thing that's missing is that I would like to put a macro on the red power button that toggles power both for the Denon and the Vistron. No idea how to approach that.

1. In RMIR, go to Macros tab
2. Click NEW
3. For bound key, select POWER
4. For macro keys, select TV, POWER, VCR, POWER
5. Click OK
jacobacci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hints, Rob
My macro now looks like this, ok?

Your description also cleared up a misunderstanding I had. The 'bound' key is obviously the target key. So I have turned my key moves around and they now look much more sensible:

In the primary TV device, I have removed all the function -> button mappings that refer to buttons that are being moved or macroed. Is this ok?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I right in assuming that you only want to use 1 device mode to control everything? If so, what is your reasoning for that? I'm just checking that you are doing that because you want to, rather than you don't know how universal remotes work.

jacobacci wrote:
In the primary TV device, I have removed all the function -> button mappings that refer to buttons that are being moved or macroed. Is this ok?

Yes, this is fine, except for cases like POWER, where you want the button to both BE the macro and be IN the macro.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes absolutely, I am doing that on purpose.
I am giving my in-laws the simplest remote possible, a URC 1210. First I wanted to give them a URC 1240, but then came the confusion of having to press the device button first to switch between devices. This was no easier for them than using two physically different remotes for the two devices. So back to the one device only remote.
The functions for the two devices that are to be controlled fit easily on the buttons in one go, so no need to switch devices at all.

Just to clarify the thing about the power button. Do I need to map it to the power function in the layout tab for both devices? I noticed that if I do not map it in either device, it does not light up when I press it.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah cool, makes sense if you're trying to keep things simple, I get it.

As for the macro, if there is a macro and something else programmed to the same button (POWER in this case), the macro will "win", meaning that when you press the button the macro will run rather than whatever else is programmed to the button. However, now looking at things from the macro's point of view, it won't run macros (so no macros inside of macros), so when it looks at a button, the non-macros will "win".

Therefore, if you want your macro to be: TV, POWER, DEV2, POWER you better have something programmed to the POWER button in TV and DEV2 modes, or it won't find anything to actually send. You see what I mean?

Bottom line, yes, program the power functions to the POWER buttons in your 2 upgrades, even though you intend to also program a macro to the POWER button.
jacobacci

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, thanks.
I will be over to try the remote after easter. I'll let you know how it goes.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind when programming macros is, you want to leave the remote in the right device mode. So, in your case, if TV is the mode that you have programmed everything, there would be a big difference between TV, POWER, DEV2, POWER and DEV2, POWER, TV, POWER.

Do you see the difference?
jacobacci

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so
TV, POWER, DEV2, POWER -> Remote is in DEV2 mode after macro
DEV2, POWER, TV, POWER -> Remote is in TV mode after macro
Correct?
If yes, I need to change my marco
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, correct, so if you're using TV mode for everything, you need the second version of the macro that you listed.

DEV2, POWER, TV, POWER -> Remote is in TV mode after macro
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If POWER is an on/off toggle (like most are), be aware that it is very easy to get out of sync. Your in-laws will be confused and frustrated if pressing power turns the Denon on and the Vistron off. Then pressing it again turns the Denon off and the Vistron on.

Also, it is almost always necessary to have both the remote and the equipment present at the same time when programming a universal remote. Chances are very slim that it will all work like you expect on your first try.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is true, and there's an easy fix (assuming you don't have discrete power codes). If things do get out of sync, press SETUP then POWER to execute the raw POWER button.
ckeays

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurker wrote:
Your in-laws will be confused and frustrated if pressing power turns the Denon on and the Vistron off. Then pressing it again turns the Denon off and the Vistron on.

I just went through this with my 89 year old dad. Very challenging to say the least.
I used two power buttons, one for the TV and one for the cable box. A very simple learning remote with only channel UP/Down, Volume UP/Down and two big red power buttons. I just set the other buttons to another device that he doesn't have so they are effectively disabled. If anyone is interested, the remote is here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004918167483.html.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: