JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Migrating from Windows to Linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
quartermain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject: Migrating from Windows to Linux Reply with quote

I have a URC-7555, URC-7556 and a URC-6440 and I have been using RemoteMaster for many years to get them to do what I want. All under Windows.

Now I would like to start using Linux on my main PC - I am trialling Mint.

I downloaded and extracted the latest RemoteMaster version. On a Windows PC it works fine once I have worked out which COM port to use, in my case COM9.

On Mint if I look at the dmesg log I see an FTDI being attached as ttyUSB0. But if I enter ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 into RMIR I just get "No device found".

I would appreciate a little guidance on what RMIR wants to see as the device name.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using RMIR with Linux for many years. I have a URC3661 which works through the usual 6-pin connector. I don't have to select the device, it just seems to detect it automatically. Making sure that Menu>Remote>Interface is set to Auto-detect.

In order to use the URC-6440 you should read the Wiki page:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Using_URC6440_and_OARUSB04G_Remotes_with_Linux
teddy_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be your mint user account doesn't have permission to use /dev/ttyUSB0. because of that your user instance of rmir is being blocked from connecting to the remote.

if you use the 'ls -la' command for /dev/ttyUSB0 it may show something like this:

crw-rw---- 1 root uucp 188, 0 Mar 4 10:14 /dev/ttyUSB0

that shows the device has 'uucp' group rw privileges ('dialout' group is another group possibility).

run 'groups' as user and because you can't connect your user will likely not belong to that device's group.

if that's the situation add user to that group, log out/back in and hopefully it now connects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: