JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR issue and Comcast JP1.3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sourbear

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:35 am    Post subject: IR issue and Comcast JP1.3 Reply with quote

Hi all... I should note I have used IR and RM with success in the past, about a year and a half ago. Back then, I plugged my serial JP1 cable into the back of the computer and ran the programs just as the directions at http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/rm.shtml said to and all went fine.

I upgraded from regular digital boxes to HD boxes recently. Comcast gives me new remotes too. So tonight I am trying to program 1 of them for an Olevia TV. I notice in the remote at the JP1 plug that it says JP1.3 so I use the JP1.x option. No go. So then I try ALL options available.. Serial, Parallel, Auto, etc. No go. I removed both AA batts. No go. I removed only 1 AA batt. No go. I turned one around. No go. I put brand new batts in. No go. The only thing it did was brick the remote. I get no response from it now, no red light when I press the Cable or TV or AUX or Power.. nothing.

So since I've got 3 of these remotes (and 3 HD boxes), I grab another one and try again. Same thing. It's bricked too.

When I clicked "Download From Remote" and then "OK", after a 2 or 3 second delay, I get a popup stating "Failed to open JP1.x interface".

So, any ideas to get these 2 bricked remotes back working and to get IR to finally read them?

Specs: "1067BC3-0004-R" is the sticker inside the remote. The only Comcast remotes that look like this one are, as they are listed in RM, the Comcast-URC-1067, the Comcast-URC-1067 Extender and the Comcast DVR URC-1067Bx3 JP1.3. I'm assuming it's the Comcast DVR URC-1067Bx3 JP1.3 since the stickers in all of mine are 1067BC3 JP1.3

Thanks for your time and help/opinions/suggestions.

Jody
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you attempt to DOWNLOAD from the remotes first? or did you just UPLOAD? It is always prudent to download from a remote before you do anything to overwrite its programming.

Be that as it may, if your old remotes were "JP1" remotes and you used a "JP1" cable with them, then the same cable will not work with the new JP1.3 remotes. The JP1.2 and 1.3 remotes require a different cable. Read this thread.

To recover you remotes back to their original programming, have you tried a MFR reset?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Greg2600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same remote from Comcast, but I actually did buy a JP1.3 cable. It is a Serial cable. I can't get it to find the remote though in the newest IR release.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In IR, go to Advanced>Enable raw download. Then use the new button that appears in IR and do a raw download. Look on the Raw data tab and see what the signature of your remote is and report it here. Also, upload that IR file to the diagnosis area and provide a link to it and somebody can take a look at helping create a new rdf for you remote if it is indeed one not previously identified.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Greg2600

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I can't do any kind of download. I get the message "No response from interface. Make sure the interface is connected to the PC, and that you've specified the correct port." I have chosen the correct COM1 port. It's definitely doing something to the remote because while the cable is connected, the remote won't work, but does when I unhook the cable. I emailed my issue to the support where I got it from (diygadgets.com). I don't think serial devices need drivers?

Or should I be using JP1.X in IR and not JP1 Serial? JP1.x just says Failed to open JP1.x interface. I used that jp1xtest.exe program, and that found nothing. Now the remote is all messed up and won't work. I was able to get that working again though. Looks like I got duped on this cable. :(
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the port set up correctly? I haven't used the serial cable for a long time and don't remember what it was, but there is a specific speed and flow control that you need to set.

If the baud rate is set wrong, the remote will flash and pretend that it's working, but the response won't be right and IR will fail saying that it couldn't open the interface.
Greg2600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My serial port is set to whatever the Windows default is. I'm supposed to use JP1.x in IR right, for a 1.3 remote?
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to diagnose a JP1.x interface is well documented by Tommy here

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5964

In this document it says that the port needs to be set to
9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity

Be careful with some windows platforms, you may need a reboot in between setting the port parameters. (some don't)

and yes, you are using a JP1.x interface in IR for your Comcast JP1.3
greenough1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be you have a bad cable/interface. DIYgadgets had a batch with incorrect parts on them, so wouldn't work. work through what you can on the trouble shooting guide and then post back.

jeff
Greg2600

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did go through that guide yesterday. All but Com_test.exe, which I downloaded, but does not want to run on my PC, giving a DOS window that says Not ready reading drive E. I am pretty sure my serial port is working. The remote doesn't do anything while the JP1xtest is being run, which I think is a bad sign.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
In this document it says that the port needs to be set to 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity

Not true. It says those are the Comtest default parameters, and don't need to be changed because it makes no difference for a loopback test. But unclemiltie's comment made me realize I could have written that clearer. In previous versions I said it this way:

". . . That brings up a box for configuring the port. It always initializes with a default of 9600 baud, etc. For purposes of our loop-back test, the baud rate is unimportant because we're just talking to ourselves. So just click on OK."

Then immediately below that was a box that enclosed the following text:

"In case you've wondered, you never have to set baud rate for an
interface because the application software (IR) takes care of that.
Don't be confused by the fact that the baud rate given for a
virtual COM port is 9600 by default, even though you know
that the remote communicates at a baud rate of 38400."

I don't remember why I omitted that clarification from the last rewrite, but I'm thinking of putting it back in. So if anyone thinks the above is still confusing, please chime in.

Tommy
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess since I went and read it looking for the speed, and found 9600 that I was confused. Then again, I've been a bit confused about a lot of things lately since I have way too many balls in the air right now.

(but somehow find time to read and respond here)
Greg2600

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the cable on my older Comcast JP1.2 remote, and it doesn't work. So what should I do? Where can I get a cable that is guaranteed to work?
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler's cables linked HERE are guaranteed to work. After getting bit by a bad cable, Tommy's cable got me going (thanks Tommy).

Best,
jeff
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg2600 wrote:
I have the same remote from Comcast, but I actually did buy a JP1.3 cable. It is a Serial cable. I can't get it to find the remote though in the newest IR release.

Where and when did you buy the JP1.3 cable?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: