JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Streaming devices with IR control
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtrump

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:36 pm    Post subject: Streaming devices with IR control Reply with quote

I'm in the process of cutting the cord from our cable provider that was providing Tivo service as part of the package. I know I won't get some of the convenience of Tivo and have fairly settled on Hulu+ Live.

I already have two Roku devices, a Roku 2, an Ultra and an off-brand streaming device that marginally works for my needs in my home office. But I'll need one more device to cover our 4 viewing setups. I've been testing the Ultra with my Denon receiver and find that it does not deliver a digital signal that can be decoded into 3.1 with a true center channel as the Tivo does. So my thought was to get a newer Roku for that system. But I've found that it is difficult to identify which current models accept IR remote signals - a must for my JP1 "single remote for everything" setup. I know that "stick" devices do not use IR for obvious reasons.

Does anybody know which current Roku will answer my need for both IR control and (presumably) Dolby surround audio? Or is there another brand that will meet my needs?
jetstar52

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a FireTV Stick 4K with one of these OTG cables that allows me to use my IR remotes to control the Fire TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Harmony-Remotes-Included/dp/B07KPPQFF8
dtrump

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstar52 wrote:
I use a FireTV Stick 4K with one of these OTG cables that allows me to use my IR remotes to control the Fire TV:

Thank you!

I had seen that from another thread. I will consider that if nothing in the Roku line surfaces as a solution. I assume that the device will not work with Roku RF only streaming devices.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All current models of Roku, except the Sticks respond to IR commands even if they don't come with IR remote. That includes the Roku Streambar and Streambar Pro.
dtrump

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Edmund

That's what I was hoping for, but I just couldn't find it in any of the online materials. That's why I came here.

MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2023 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ready have a Roku account, see oif Roku is offering you any deals on your upgrade page:

https://my.roku.com/upgrade/
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can definitely say that non-Stick Roku's work fine with IR.

I'd be careful about any kind of IR adapter for a stick. I also have a Fire TV stick, and got the Inteset IR adapter. It's a bit flaky. The arrow keys sometimes jump rapidly like you are holding it down. There is no Play/Pause, so some extra options in the menu (like accessing Network diagnostics) don't work. On the Tablo app, the Back key doesn't seem to work right and you can't get out of playing a video other than using the Home button. I've been trying the old Setup-xxxxx routine to see if there are extra codes, but no luck.
dtrump

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up buying a Roku Express 4K+ which of course does support IR.

I think I have experienced similar repeating of the arrow keys that andyross saw with my URC3660 when using normal macros. I forget exactly the situation, but since changing to realtime macros, I've been fairly successful at creating macros that access specific channels on the Roku with YouTube TV. I've also programmed the CH+ and CH- buttons to go from channel to channel on YouTube TV.

I am curious if anyone has discovered an EFC5 to directly access YouTube TV. I have Rob's "Official" Roku RMDU and have supplemented it with direct access to ESPN, but haven't found any others. The YouTube code does not access YouTube TV.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetstar52 wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Inteset-Receiver-Harmony-Remotes-Included/dp/B07KPPQFF8

FWIW there's some quirks with the upgrade for that that I've been meaning to fix but haven't got around to it yet. It is a nice solution though, since Amazon doesn't offer a IR capable box like Roku does. (the problem is not with Inteset, but with the shared play/pause button on the Fire Stick. There's documents on Inteset's web site that show the button mappings for the devices it supports, I'm just a lazy sack and haven't made a Fire Stick specific upgrade yet.)
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
I ended up buying a Roku Express 4K+ which of course does support IR.

I think I have experienced similar repeating of the arrow keys that andyross saw with my URC3660 when using normal macros. I forget exactly the situation, but since changing to realtime macros, I've been fairly successful at creating macros that access specific channels on the Roku with YouTube TV. I've also programmed the CH+ and CH- buttons to go from channel to channel on YouTube TV.

I am curious if anyone has discovered an EFC5 to directly access YouTube TV. I have Rob's "Official" Roku RMDU and have supplemented it with direct access to ESPN, but haven't found any others. The YouTube code does not access YouTube TV.

Sorry but there isn't YouTube TV discrete command, and probably never will. Google who owns YTTV has it's own streaming device the chromecast, they're not going to pay Roku a $1 per remote for discrete YTTV key. Yes, there is You Tube command but that dates back before Google entered the streaming device market.
dtrump

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
Sorry but there isn't YouTube TV discrete command, and probably never will. Google who owns YTTV has it's own streaming device the chromecast, they're not going to pay Roku a $1 per remote for discrete YTTV key. Yes, there is You Tube command but that dates back before Google entered the streaming device market.

Makes sense and I should have thought that through. I also created a macro to open YTTV and navigate to the first entry in the Live listing. I can live with that. Just a few hours ago, I turned in our cable provider's Tivo with 3 minis, so reduced our monthly costs about $90. I have to stay with them for internet because we don't have an alternative available in our townhome development.

Meanwhile, I'll be switching out 3 Harmony remotes for 3660 or 3680's.
_________
Dick
andyross

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend, I picked up one of those Walmart Onn 4K Google TV boxes. Pretty nice. I briefly tested it with the Inteset adapter. It had the same issue with the arrow keys sometimes repeating. This is not in macros, but in normal use. Didn't really test much beyond that quick check.
dtrump

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm! Inexpensive at $19.88. I see the remote has a dedicated "YouTube" button. Does that access YouTube TV, or just the YouTube channel?
Also, is the remote IR only or dual IR/RF or just RF?

Until a few days ago, I had no use for the RF function on my Roku Ultra that is on our family room TV in the basement since I use a JP1 remote for that. But I added a wireless HDMI extender that I already had to that system and am able to operate the Roku from our bedroom on the floor above. It is highly unlikely to be used in both locations at the same time, so it saved me $40 (or $20 if I had known about the ONN). Smile
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
Hmmm! Inexpensive at $19.88. I see the remote has a dedicated "YouTube" button. Does that access YouTube TV, or just the YouTube channel?
Also, is the remote IR only or dual IR/RF or just RF?

Until a few days ago, I had no use for the RF function on my Roku Ultra that is on our family room TV in the basement since I use a JP1 remote for that. But I added a wireless HDMI extender that I already had to that system and am able to operate the Roku from our bedroom on the floor above. It is highly unlikely to be used in both locations at the same time, so it saved me $40 (or $20 if I had known about the ONN). Smile

It's plain You Tube key. And the remote is bluetooth, er RF.
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know on a Roku, you can access YouTube TV through the regular YouTube app (left YT menu, near the bottom). This was enabled back when there was a disagreement, and Roku stopped allowing YouTube TV to be added to Roku's (although it was still usable if it was already added.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: