JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adding the extender to a URC-7560 or 7562 (old)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Adding the extender to a URC-7560 or 7562 (old) Reply with quote

If you download the files from the extenders page for these remotes (they're the same remote apart from the colour, except for a later version of the 7562), you get some instructions how to add an extender to it.

Trouble is, the "devices" you have to add cannot be added to RMIR, as the instructions are for IR.exe, and I can't see a way to interpret them for RMIR.

When I just built my Arduino-based interface for the old EEPROM type remotes, I thought I might resolve the issue by downloading the old remote. However, I must have had the remotes from before I started using this site, as there were only built-in codes and a couple of learns on them.

So if anyone can show me how to carry out these instructions using RMIR:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=57

OR... if someone has a URC-7560 settings file which includes the extender, and can upload it, I could delete your devices and just leave the extender behind.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Windows partition on my computer is rather neglected and doesn't seem to want to install drivers for either the Arduino or FD232 chip. So basically I can't use it to install anything using IR.exe 6.2. But what I did do, was to do a 981 reset on my 7562, download it to RMIR, and exported it was an .ir file. I got all the stuff relating to the 7562 extender, along with the ir file, and saved it onto a pendrive.

I was able to load the ir file into IR6.2, and successfully carry out all the steps to create the extended 7562 ir file. But when I went back to my Linux setup and tried to load it, into RMIR, it refused to load it, citing an error that there was no remote found with signature starting EBX0 with a 2k EEPROM.

Other errors have also occurred but the problem seems to be that RMIR doesn't like the EBX0EBV0 rdf supplied with the extender stuff, and that IR doesn't like the latest EBX0EBV0 file supplied with RMIR. As a result, an otherwise empty extended .ir file produced by IRv6.2 cannot be loaded into RMIR.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
So if anyone can show me how to carry out these instructions using RMIR:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=57

What is it you can't do with RMIR? I suspect it is the protocol and device upgrades. You use RMDU to do this, as you are creating a new device upgrade. In RMDU, select the menu option Advanced > Import Raw Upgrade. Select the Remote, invent a Setup Code and select the Device Type you want. You will need to tick the Protocol > FF box as the protocol in the extender has PID 0180. In the boxes for Upgrade Code and Protocol Code, you will need to enter the Upgrade Code first, although the extender instructions actually give you the Upgrade Protocol first. When you paste these from the instructions into the boxes, they only show data, not text. This is normal. Finally, press OK and you then have a device upgrade that you can save and import into your setup.

If you need info on some other aspect of the installation, let me know.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After writing all this, I now think that the following two posts are the relevant ones. Who knew?

Where do I start?

1. Firstly, I did a 981 on the remote and downloaded it. This showed me it was "31" at byte 0009 in the raw data (new ROM).

2. It then tells me to save and make changes to the rmir file, which is easy enough. Even though the line start convention has changed, RMIR understands it and when you...

3. load the file back into RMIR the changes in the raw data look correct. However, there is no sign of the extender, for example, there is still space for learned signals.

4. Thanks for letting me know about the options on the advanced menu for RMDU. If I run RMDU from RMIR those options aren't there. I assume that I put in the Protocol at the same time as the first extender device as its PID is 0180 and the first two bytes of the device code as 80 01. However there is no option for "Device Type 4". (defaulted to Cable)

5. The other two don't appear to require protocol upgrades, the only problem being that there is no such device option as "Special". (tried to default to Cable which of course clashed so changed them to "OEM Mode"

6. Having saved the Device Upgrades as upgrade1.rmdu, upgrade2.rmdu and upgrade3.rmdu, I now add them to RMIR. Trouble is, RMIR is still using the unextended RDF and there appears to be no way to change it.

7. I uploaded to the remote. Definitely some action after pressing 10 + AV together, but nothing when I pressed 0 after that. No sign of the extender.

8. I downloaded it again, no sign of an extender being installed.

9. Second attempt, this time using New and starting with the Extender. The 31 at byte 0009 has become 30. Am I supposed to change it? Well, I did. Then I saved it as an RMIR file.

10. Repeat 2-7. Obviously RMIR is using the extended RDF file this time, but when I upload to the remote, this time it's totally dead. The only way I can bring it back to life is to upload the unextended file.

Hope that's all clear.

Last edited by davecs on Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! I've got that it should have been 30 not 31. If you have the newer ROM (31) you need that information, but then the instructions should have read that you change it to 30. EBV0EBV1 > EBX0EBV0 — got that now.

The other issue is... the devices... what device types to allocate to the 3 extender devices? Solve that and I might have the solution!
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing... the little adventure I had in Windows almost worked. I got the file I'd saved in Windows using ir.exe, and changed that 31 to 30 and opened it with RMIR. I only got this one error:

No device type alias found for Device Upgrade DevType4/0000. The device upgrade could not be imported and was discarded.

Special was changed to OEM Mode.

So if the equivalent to DevType4 can be established, I think we have liftoff!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post your RMIR file and I'll try to follow the old instructions using RMIR instead and post the results.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Can you post your RMIR file and I'll try to follow the old instructions using RMIR instead and post the results.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26760

I think the problem is that there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for DevType4 any more. And the instructions omit to say that once you have noted the 31 at byte 0009, it has to be changed to 30.
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in the RDF file, both the "Special" and "DevType4" types are changed to "OEM Mode", but Special/0000 and DevType4/0000 can't both be changed to OEM Mode/0000. I tried changing one to 0002 but that doesn't appear to do anything.

The other thing is that on the Special Functions tab, the New > Type pulldown is blank, so I can't allocate a Special Function.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have this sorted. Please await a later post with full details. If I am right, I do not see how what he has posted could ever have worked, in either IR.exe or RMIR.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are my instructions for installing the URC7560 extender with RMIR. I have tested them as far as possible with an empty setup created with File > New but of course cannot test whether the resulting setup actually works. Do please let me know.

davecs wrote:
OK!, I've got that it should have been 30 not 31. If you have the newer ROM (31) you need that information, but then the instructions should have read that you change it to 30. EBV0EBV1 > EBX0EBV0 - got that now.

I don't understand this. I see no reason to change 31 to 30. My understanding of the original is that the same extender works with both old and new firmware. Although the versions have different RDFs, the extended version of both uses a common RDF. I'm not sure which you have, as the heading of the thread says Old but you say yours has 31 which indicates New. If it is New, I suggest you leave it that way and only change it if that doesn't work.
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Here are my instructions for installing the URC7560 extender with RMIR. I have tested them as far as possible with an empty setup created with File > New but of course cannot test whether the resulting setup actually works. Do please let me know.

davecs wrote:
OK!, I've got that it should have been 30 not 31. If you have the newer ROM (31) you need that information, but then the instructions should have read that you change it to 30. EBV0EBV1 > EBX0EBV0 - got that now.

I don't understand this. I see no reason to change 31 to 30. My understanding of the original is that the same extender works with both old and new firmware. Although the versions have different RDFs, the extended version of both uses a common RDF. I'm not sure which you have, as the heading of the thread says Old but you say yours has 31 which indicates New. If it is New, I suggest you leave it that way and only change it if that doesn't work.

Because the 31 is the "1" at the end of EBV0EBV1 (for later 7560s and earlier 7562s), and the 30 is the "0" at the end of EBX0EBV0 because the extender covers both versions.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
Because the 31 is the "1" at the end of EBV0EBV1 (for later 7560s and earlier 7562s), and the 30 is the "0" at the end of EBX0EBV0 because the extender covers both versions.

Of course! This is the signature in ASCII, I just wasn't thinking. Now I re-read the original instructions, I think it is also not necessary to change the RDFs of the original signatures as I had suggested. Sorry for my stupidity Embarassed . I hope the rest works.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but it is not the original RDFs you need to change, it is the extender one. So you need to edit EBX0EBV0 (URC-7560_7562 Extender).rdf and in the [DeviceTypeAliases] section change the three OEM Mode entries to OEM Mode 1, OEM Mode 2, OEM Mode 3 for DevType4, DevType5, Special respectively.

If it works, I will fix the instructions tomorrow.
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Oops we crossed over....

1. If I don't change the 31 to 30 at byte 0009, in addition to the other instructions, I get this error:

No remote found with signature starting EXB0 and EEPROM size 2k

So I changed it to 30 and it loads.

2. Now I have RMIR open with the device EXB0EVB0.

3. Trying to add the first "device" and "protocol". The problem is that in "OEM Mode 1/0000" the OEM Mode 1 part is not recognised, no more than the DevType4 was, and RMDU changes it to "Cable". There is an OEM Mode, but not OEM Mode 1 or OEM Mode 3.

4. Trying to add the second and third "device", OEM Mode 3 isn't recognised either, any more than "Special" was, and is also converted to Cable. Now we have two devices that cannot co-exist, both Cable/0000.

So your revised instructions have had no effect, the outcome is exactly the same as the original set.

As I said, the instructions DO work in IR.exe 6.2, with the addition to change that rogue 31 to 30. The problem is that "Special" is changed to OEM Mode, but it doesn't know what to do with "DevType4", so doesn't accept it.

And yet you can assign DevType4 and Special to a device on the "general" page, but not in RMDU. And I think that holds the key to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: