JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Communication problem with URC-8910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:00 pm    Post subject: Communication problem with URC-8910 Reply with quote

I've had a URC-8910 for about 17 years, I think I bought it from Rob who mailed it to me. A few years ago it stopped working fully. I had replaced a piece of equipment, had prepared a new version of the rmir file to upload to it, and it wouldn't connect.

Recently I decided to take it apart, and a coil had come away from its mounting, I stuck it back down, put everything back together and it appeared to be working perfectly. Pressed TV then Power for the extender, it said "SUCCESS" all looked well.

I had lost the little dongle that you needed between the FTDI cable and EEPROM-based remotes, so I decided to get an arduino nano and make a new interface. I know that works, because I also have a couple of 7560/2 remotes and it works with them.

So, my question is: Has anyone come across this issue before of the 8910 not communicating? Has anyone been able to fix it? If so, how?

Thanks for any help...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coil thing that fell out, and which has fallen out of most 8910 remotes, is for the modem upgrades that you could do over the phone, so that's no loss (if you didn't reattach it properly). I just hope you didn't short something else out if you messed up the reinstall.

Is the 8910 completely dead, or does it just not talk to RMIR?

If it's the latter case, you could try doing a modem upgrade, just to see if that works. IR.exe was able to create WAV files that you could play into your remote via your PC speakers.

If the remote works but the RMIR connection doesn't work, try messing around with the batteries:
1. Try with fresh new batteries
2. Try with older batteries
3. Try with one battery reversed (sounds silly, but this is for real)
4. Try with no batteries

If RMIR still doesn't work, try IR.exe

If still nothing, take a close look at the solder joints on the 6-pin, and if your soldering skills are ok, try reflowing the solder on all 6 pins
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not talking to RMIR. It still operates my old Pioneer VCR/DVD-R unit. I had a brief sojourn into Windows to use IR.exe to try to set up the 7560, and as soon as I ran IR I got an error report that it couldn't connect to anything due to missing drivers. I also found that rmir files were not backwards compatible.

I got an error report, the same for all the battery combinations, but a different one if I left the arduino connected but the remote unplugged, so at least it knows something is there!

Is this fault one that develops on a lot of 8910s? It might be worth buying one second hand.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to buy another one, secondhand from USA. Via eBay uk. About £26 including postage. Let's hope it doesn't have the same problem.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a saved RMIR file from the old 8910 that you can load into the new one? Once you have the new one up and running, I would suggest reflowing the solder on the 6-pin on the old one.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
IR.exe was able to create WAV files that you could play into your remote via your PC speakers.

So can RMIR. Menu option File > Export to Wav.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried that, but after a noise lasting 1:36 which, if repeated, might result in my second divorce, it hadn't been updated — the remote didn't operate my amplifier and didn't display the updated labels in the LCD window, just the old ones.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no audio expert, but I seem to remember that there was something about the speaker in the earpiece of old fashioned telephones that made it perfect for these WAV files, and not all conventional speakers have the same properties. So it could be that, or more likely you didn't re-install the coil properly. The coil has 2 very thin wires coming out of it and both need to be soldered to the PCB, so if you just glued it back in place, that's not going to work.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I'm no audio expert, but I seem to remember that there was something about the speaker in the earpiece of old fashioned telephones that made it perfect for these WAV files, and not all conventional speakers have the same properties. So it could be that, or more likely you didn't re-install the coil properly. The coil has 2 very thin wires coming out of it and both need to be soldered to the PCB, so if you just glued it back in place, that's not going to work.

I couldn't see where the wires joined or even protruded from the coil. They just looked as if the whole thing was stuck down with hot glue, maybe they snapped at the edge of the glue so that I can't even see them. Couldn't see any sign of anything being soldered. Ah well I've other remotes, and I've ordered one from eBay which should arrive here from the US of A before the end of this month. Let's see how that goes. If I can get that one going, I can take this one apart and see if there's anything obvious.

There are two designs of this remote, and the pic in the advert looks as if its the same type. I might use some paint to put colours (Red, Green, Yellow, Blue) around the L1234 buttons.

Meanwhile I've still got the URC3661 running nicely, as well as the URC6440, so there's no desperation, just a desire to mess around with stuff. I've hit a wall trying to get the extender onto the URC7562. I'll explain on that thread!!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, if you didn't reconnect the wires, the modem coil won't work. I can try to find an 8910 here and, if it doesn't rattle, I could open it up and take a pic of where the wires are supposed to connect, if that will help.

Yeah, there were 2 designed, the original came with the hated "donut ring", which they wisely replaced with arrow buttons some time later. The original versions also had a nice green backlight, which became red in later versions.
davecs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shouldn't bother about opening up an 8910. I'm not going to be using the wav method to upgrade it. Let's see what happens with the one I ordered.
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The replacement URC8910 arrived today and I can upload and download to/from it. I'll be working on it over the coming period.

Of course, being American, it won't display the time in 24hr format. Unless someone can tell me otherwise...

There's another little thing... it says in the instructions that you can set the initial VPT device in ir.exe (and presumably rmir) and that way if you never use the instruction SET_VOL_KEYS, then it can never be changed. That would be my preference but I can't see how to do it in RMIR.
davecs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to feel stupid!

There is a minor issue with the Arduino interface for old JP1 remotes. I don't know whether this has happened to anyone else.

One of the things about the 6 pins inside the URC8910 is that where is reads "JP1" on the circuit board, is not by pins 1 and 2, but by pins 5 and 6. With the Arduino interface, if you put the connector on the board the wrong way round, then you get the "Uploading" message in RMIR, and after a while it gives up and reports an error, suggesting there might be a bug in the software! If you then remove the connector from the remote and put it in the correct way round, you get an immediate error report on Up/Down-loading: "No Remotes Found". To overcome this, you have to exit from RMIR and restart it. Now it works. However, it's easy to conclude that the correct connection is wrong, and the first one, which at least tries to connect, is faulty.

So my problem with my old URC-8910 was that I was connecting it the wrong way round, but when I tried it the other way I got a curt "No remotes found". When I got the replacement, the same thing happened but after the "No remotes found" report I exited RMIR and pulled out the connector at the USB end, and put it back, ran RMIR again, but didn't turn the connector back inside the remote. And it suddenly worked!

On the replacement one, some of the keys are a bit wobbly, though they work, so I might open it up, give it a compressed air clean, and try to reseat the buttons. I'm also going to add some colour around the L1234 buttons.

In the meantime, excuse me for feeling a bit stupid!

P.S. with the URC7560, the circuit board reads "1" next to pin 1. Simple!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: