JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Buying an OLED TV, JP1 Remote Considerations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dkraines

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:29 am    Post subject: Buying an OLED TV, JP1 Remote Considerations Reply with quote

I'm replacing a 15 year old Panasonic plasma, I don't really buy TVs often. I like to have one JP1 remote that controls everything I need.

I've been looking at these for an OLED TV purchase:

LG C3
Samsung S90C
Sony A80K

Usage:
OTA TV 25%
PVR 55%
Streaming 10%
DVD/Bluray 10%

The LG remote has numbers, the other two don't. I like to punch in the channel I want to watch, and see myself getting frustrated if I have to go through some UI or only have up/down to get to a channel. To the point, where I'm looking to select the LG because because it has numbers I can program to my JP1 remote. My question is, that shuffle looking wheel scroller thing, would a JP1 remote support that?

Thoughts, really on anything I've stated above, appreciated, JP1 interoperability on the remotes shown below. Does anybody use JP1 on remotes like these and what's the experience?

LG

Samsung

Sony
n8nagel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be really surprised if the Sony at least did not recognize the traditional OBCs for the numbers. They seem to be pretty consistent over the years. I'd be surprised if the Samsung weren't the same, but I'm less sure of that because I have less experience with Samsung products.

if you really, really want to be sure, program a remote and take it to a store with you where they have one on display.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of TVs come with remotes that don't have numbers even though the TV itself still supports numbers. My Insignia Roku TV is one such example.

Regarding the wheel on the LG remote, I suspect that it only really roles up/down and left/right, and if that is the case, you should be able to replicate that with arrow buttons.

Bottom line, I don't think you need to worry about JP1 when selecting a new TV, I bet we already have upgrades that will work for most sets on the market. Is your JP1 remote a learning remote? If so, even if you do get a TV that doesn't have an upgrade, you can create one using learning (we'll help you if you don't remember how).

May I ask, how do you watch TV these days? More and more people are getting their content through streaming apps, which don't need numbers, and much of the rest get regular TV through a cable box/DVR. But it sounds like you watch OTA TV through the TV tuner, is that right?
jetstar52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set up JP1 remotes for the LG C1 and Sony A80J OLEDs (ancestors to two of the TVs you list), and have used them almost exclusively. They have all the functions of the factory remotes, plus, in the Sony, numerical input. The factory LG remote has an "air mouse" function, which the JP1 remote doesn't duplicate.

Upgrade files for both are in the Files section.
dkraines

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP Here,

I just researched that LG "Magic" remote pictured, it is a bluetooth remote. There's some reviews that state you don't need to point it at the TV, but maybe it still has IR with a mix of both.

Yes, I still watch TV through the tuner and record OTA shows using MythTV. I don't use streaming too much, but am aware of the capabilities. IMHO, there's really just too many choices on how to consume media, I can't get through all the recordings I do.

Also, I have had success in the past using learning and creating device upgrades, but will reach out for technical hurdles.

Starting to come to realization that I just need to just focus on the TV, if I end up with 2 remotes, so be it.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Sony remote is likely Bluetooth as well but will send IR signals when not paired to the TV, and will recognize IR signals from your JP1 remote.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an LG projector and it came with a standard ir remote (that works with Harmony and JP-1 with the codes) and a "magic" type remote. The Magic remote has ir for the power button but the other functions are bluetooth.

I would not suggest running through EFC's on an LG since one of them reset the wired network connection and I was never able to get it working again.
dkraines

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:

I would not suggest running through EFC's on an LG since one of them reset the wired network connection and I was never able to get it working again.

That's disheartening, never thought that could do any harm, thanks for the head's up!
jetstar52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "dangerous" commands are OBC 250 (EFC 00015) and OBC 251 (EFC 00019). All the others are safe to try.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dkraines wrote:
zaphod7501 wrote:

That's disheartening, never thought that could do any harm, thanks for the head's up!

With most devices there's no worry, but TVs are the exception because they have so much stuff for the screen that can be configured via service menus, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: