JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hi and could I get some advice please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant1375

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:

You'll be pleased to know that Graham (Mathdon) has just released version 3.0.0 of this amazing software, meaning that it fully supports the ability of the 3661 and its relatives to re-purpose the Activity buttons, and all the other little discoveries that a number of us made when testing out this remote.

It's here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103298

Excellent, Downloading and installing as we speak.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So im happy to report that my remote and cable have arrived. I must say the remote seems very good quality and the buttons feel nice. This will be a great addition to my media setup.

So where do I start first? I have to modify the cable but is it best to tune the remote into the devices first using the instructions that came with it or connect to pc and use software first?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a basic set up of the remote first with the instructions that came with it. The remote's own setup knows the setup codes for different device manufacturers and types. RMIR does not. Use RMIR for fine tuning and for additional features.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon & davecs

Ok so I got my remote all coded in using the Instructions that came with it.

I have a small issue. I went to make the cable and noticed that some colors are different than the jp1 wiki help page. my instructions on my cable state the following colours:

My Cable Colors:

Pin 1 Black = GND
Pin 2 Brown = CTS
Pin 3 Red = +5v
Pin 4 Orange = TXD
Pin 5 Yellow = RXD
Pin 6 Green = RTS

JP1 Wiki Help page colors:
Cable color codes
The color codes for these cable are:

pin - color - type
1 - (empty):VDD
2 - Yellow:RTS
3 - Black:GND
4 - Green:TXD
5 - (empty)
6 - White:RXD
Blue:CTS (not connected)
Red:5V (not connected)

Any Idea's??

Thanks
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately both colour schemes agree on GND=Black, 5v=RED. As for the other wires, go by the acronyms rather than the colours. Colour schemes do vary. You are fortunate that your cable came with a key to the colours, as not all of them do so. The worst that can happen is that it won't work. You can't do any harm if GND is correct and 5v not connected.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I managed to take my cable and split the 6x1 connector and wires and glue all together to make a working 3 x connector.

I have installed the new version of the software and get three programs called

RMDU
RMIR
RMPB

RMIR is the one I used first (Not sure as of yet what the others are for or do) I connection my cable to remote and to pc and then selected "REMOTE - DOWNLOAD FROM REMOTE" and got what I think was the current remote profile.

I had a little play about with it and managed changed the "BACKLIGHT SETTINGS" from 10 to 5 seconds then selected "REMOTE - UPLOAD TO REMOTE" and it seems like it worked as the back light now stays on for 5 seconds. Not too bad for a first time try I think.

Can I pack up the current remote profile with all my devices tuned in so I don't mess anything up when experimenting with this?

Thanks
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very pleased to hear that all has worked!

For many users, RMIR is the only program they will need. RMDU is for editing a Device Upgrade separately from a remote. It was the original program, then just called RM (RemoteMaster). RMIR was built from it, all the features of RMDU are also available in RMIR from the Devices tab where pressing New or Edit opens a panel that is essentially RMDU to create a new, or edit an existing, device upgrade. RMPB is a program for editing an IR protocol, which is a specialized task that is needed only by experts.

To back up your current remote profile, download it to RMIR and press the Save button (or select Save from the File menu). It will save the setup as a file with a .rmir extension. You can then re-load that file, edit it and either re-save it (overwriting the original) or use Save As to save it as a new setup. You use Upload to upload any of your saved setups to the remote.
davecs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant1375 wrote:
So I managed to take my cable and split the 6x1 connector and wires and glue all together to make a working 3 x connector.

I have installed the new version of the software and get three programs called

RMDU
RMIR
RMPB

RMIR is the one I used first (Not sure as of yet what the others are for or do) I connection my cable to remote and to pc and then selected "REMOTE - DOWNLOAD FROM REMOTE" and got what I think was the current remote profile.

I had a little play about with it and managed changed the "BACKLIGHT SETTINGS" from 10 to 5 seconds then selected "REMOTE - UPLOAD TO REMOTE" and it seems like it worked as the back light now stays on for 5 seconds. Not too bad for a first time try I think.

Can I pack up the current remote profile with all my devices tuned in so I don't mess anything up when experimenting with this?

Thanks

Yes. You can click File > Save as from the menu. You can always go back to that layout by simply opening it and uploading it to your remote. The next thing to experiment with is whether there are any saved layouts for your equipment in the files section.

If you download a file for your equipment but it was made on a different remote, that's not a problem. You load it into RMDU, and the functions will be on the functions tab. You can change the remote to URC-3661, and then go to the Buttons or Layout tab to arrange the functions onto your remote. Then use Save As to save the file for yourself.

To load the layout into RMIR to try on your remote, you click on the Devices tab, and a special RMDU window will run. From that window, Open the file containing the layout you just saved, then click OK.

Now you have your basic working file saved, you can always go back to it, so don't be afraid to experiment.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have discovered that my remote doesn't actually have a built in code that works all functions so my Bush TV. I have have had to use the remote learning function to create this.

My question is can when I connect to RMIR under the Learned signals I can see all this new functions but can I or is there a way to create a new "Setup Code" with all this this new profile and call it a name? (example code 7080 MyTV) and then add this to the actual remote as a built in profile?

This would mean I could delete all the Learned signals section and keep the memory free.

Also in the general tab what does the "Set up Lock" check box actually do? I assuming it locks the device its sets for from ever being accidentally recodes or deleted etc?

Thanks
davecs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant1375 wrote:
I have discovered that my remote doesn't actually have a built in code that works all functions so my Bush TV. I have have had to use the remote learning function to create this.

My question is can when I connect to RMIR under the Learned signals I can see all this new functions but can I or is there a way to create a new "Setup Code" with all this this new profile and call it a name? (example code 7080 MyTV) and then add this to the actual remote as a built in profile?

This would mean I could delete all the Learned signals section and keep the memory free.

Also in the general tab what does the "Set up Lock" check box actually do? I assuming it locks the device its sets for from ever being accidentally recodes or deleted etc?

Thanks

Yes. That's exactly what you do.

Can you post the RMIR file with all the learned signals in, to the File Section and post the link to it here. Someone will have a look at it and tell you what you can do to build your own device to operate your TV. I'll definitely have a look, though others are better at this task.

As for "Set Up Lock" I really don't know as I've never used it.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:

Yes. That's exactly what you do.

Can you post the RMIR file with all the learned signals in, to the File Section and post the link to it here. Someone will have a look at it and tell you what you can do to build your own device to operate your TV. I'll definitely have a look, though others are better at this task.

As for "Set Up Lock" I really don't know as I've never used it.

Here is the link http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26747

I think I have uploaded the file to the correct area.

I have 3 separate devices in the learned signal area. The TV = The TV , Audio = a soundbar and DVD = a Room Fan (I learned the basic signals for this into this device section as I don't have a DVD player so this for me will be a spare device on the remote)

My main goal would be to create 3 upgrades with 3 separate codes for each device. The TV being the Main one.

Thanks

---------------------------------------

edit

just a little add on to this comment, I selected all the RC5 TV codes and hit "Convert To Device Upgrade" then selected "Devices" and edit and changed the Device type from Cable to TV.

Is this the correct way to create an upgrade ? (example a single TV device)

also do I export this as a .grr then up grade to the remote?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant1375 wrote:
just a little add on to this comment, I selected all the RC5 TV codes and hit "Convert To Device Upgrade" then selected "Devices" and edit and changed the Device type from Cable to TV.

Absolutely! You have done it! Nothing to do with .girr or export. If your learned signals are all the buttons you need for the TV, now just go to the General tab and change the setup code for TV to 2000. Or you can first edit the device upgrade you have created to change the setup code to anything else you want, 2000 is just the default value for the conversion.

As for setup code lock, again you are exactly right. It is primarily used by cable box suppliers who use a UEI remote, to prevent the user (who doesn't have RMIR!) from changing the code. With RMIR, of course, you can unlock it and do what you want with that device!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created an upgrade by combining a few other upgrades, and yours, that all use RC5 device code 1, so this will have some additional functions in it, that may or may not work on your TV.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26748
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at Rob's upload, which is fine, but on some of the keys (for example the four Colour keys) he uses labels which are different in the USA. It just so happens that my Hitachi TV uses the same remote codes as your Bush!

If you download my uploaded file here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26749

you'll find that all the buttons are labelled for British users, and, what's more it's already set up for a URC-3661. I would still test all the other values on Rob's upload, to see if they do something. I've tested every OBC from 0-63 on my TV to see if they do something, so the ones missing in my file don't work on my TV. However, your TV may be different.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just included the button names from the files that were here at JP1. I was curious to see which buttons had different names in the UK vs. the US and apart from the 4 color buttons, I didn't see any other differences.

You did have 1 button code that wasn't in my file (YouTube) but you have several which are missing too (see below):

OBC Function
10 Return
14 Presets
26 Search/picture
29 F.Rew
30 F.Fwd
36 Favourites
38 TV/List
39 Netflix
51 Record
57 Media
59 MyButton
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: