JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hi and could I get some advice please
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant1375

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject: Hi and could I get some advice please Reply with quote

Hi All,

Im new to the forum and having just finished a small media set up at home I want to combine all my current devices into one remote. I originally was looking at the Logitech Harmony but due to price and the fact they are now discontinued an I'm seeking an alternative.

I just want a remote that can combine up to 5 devices or so into one. My only requirement is I need a backlite remote as its always used in very low light situations.

While browsing amazon uk I can across the One For All URC 3661 which seems to be back light and may suit my needs. A particular reviewer for the the product mentioned that it can be programmed using FTDI cable, some software and help from this forum.

This seems like it may be a perfect set up for my needs if I can get some help.

So I'm looking to purchase the controller and need help with what cable to get from Amazon uk to connect this to my win 11 pc?

any links or advice on the cable and software would be a great start.
Thanks
Ant
Ant1375

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject: Some help/ advice please Reply with quote

davecs
Hi I just came across your review for the URC 3661 Universal remote control and want to purchase. can you help me with sourcing a FTDI cable from Amazon uk and possibly setting up the software?

Thanks
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Ant1375

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 1
https://amzn.eu/d/36VFOH6

Option 2
https://amzn.eu/d/4lef9FT

Does anyone know if either of these cables will be ok to use for the urc3661 to connect to pc?

Thanks
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant1375 wrote:
davecs
Hi I just came across your review for the URC 3661 Universal remote control and want to purchase. can you help me with sourcing a FTDI cable from Amazon uk and possibly setting up the software?

Thanks

Yes, if you mean the review dated 8th April 2023 that's mine. It's nice to know that someone actually saw the review and found their way here!

Ant1375 wrote:
Option 1
https://amzn.eu/d/36VFOH6

Option 2
https://amzn.eu/d/4lef9FT

Does anyone know if either of these cables will be ok to use for the urc3661 to connect to pc?

Thanks

I think they say that they are genuine FT232 chips, so they should work. You will also find a lot that will work, and they might be cheaper on E-bay. You have to ensure that they go to 6 wires, not to some serial plug etc. I don't know if there is still a problem that non-FT232 chips don't work, I think most of the "copies" work, but don't hold me to it, hopefully one of the experts will confirm or deny. But if you are happy to pay the money, make sure the sales blurb says it's genuine. If they come with a 6x1 connector, you can take the wires out, and saw it through one of the two middle slots and stick them back to back.

You can buy 3x2 connectors cheaply enough, but you have to buy them in 10s or 20s.

You will have to arrange the six connectors in a 2x3 format (with two disconnected) and maybe you can glue the plugs together to fit over the pins.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs
Thanks for the reply, Yes the review was a great read and inspired me to come here has I think the URC3661 Will meet all my needs for my small media setup. I appreciate you helping with this.

Ebay has so many cables and the proces are better but Im totally lost in which one to get. Amazon also deliver a little faster so thats a bonus.

I think I will get the cable with the 6x1 connector and cut it and glue the block back to back as you mentioned.
The only issue I have us I see 2 versions one seems to be a 3.3v and the other a 5v any ideas which one to get?

Option 1 3.3v
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Adapter-Female-FT232RL-Windows/dp/B08Y8D81K8/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1UP4TFS8LFDR0&keywords=dtech+FTDI&qid=1686646866&sprefix=dtech+ftdi%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-4

Option 2 5v
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DKLKZTK?ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_AKM5MBE4XWC3N3QKFXQR_1

I have ordered the remote itself already so looking forward to it arriving.
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of the wires are not connected and one of them is the voltage cable. The connector uses the battery power of the remote itself. One of the reasons is that the 5v would possibly fry the remote. I would get the one with 5v as this is the proper spec for this type of cable, even though you won't be connecting that particular wire.

In the meantime, you'd do well to read up on the wiki, especially "JP1 how easy is it?" and "The URC-3660 family" so you're prepared for when your stuff arrives. The ability to change the "Activity" buttons into macros (e.g., to switch stuff on), was introduced in the latest test releases, and there are no issues with your remote, but the new stable version should be with us soon.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs

I have just ordered the 5v cable as advised so thanks you.

Its a matter of waiting until everything arrives and yes I have been reading thorough the wiki , so much great information and can be a little overwhelming for newbies like myself but all in all great info.

Will let you know when the materials all arrive.

Thanks again.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
I don't know if there is still a problem that non-FT232 chips don't work, I think most of the "copies" work, but don't hold me to it, hopefully one of the experts will confirm or deny.

Recent versions of RMIR should work with all USB-to-Serial converter chips that have TTL-level outputs, except for counterfeit FTDI chips that need to be avoided. In particular they work with Prolific chips. The old warning not to use Prolific chips as they don't work with some recent remotes no longer holds as this issue has been fixed.
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

Recent versions of RMIR should work with all USB-to-Serial converter chips that have TTL-level outputs, except for counterfeit FTDI chips that need to be avoided. In particular they work with Prolific chips. The old warning not to use Prolific chips as they don't work with some recent remotes no longer holds as this issue has been fixed.

I couldn't find any prolific-based connectors with 6 wires! Checked Ebay uk and Amazon uk.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon
davecs

Just to be 100% the one I ordered will be ok for my use?

Thanks
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
I couldn't find any prolific-based connectors with 6 wires! Checked Ebay uk and Amazon uk.

They exist, but I think I probably had to get mine for development testing from the US, such as https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08C524K56
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant1375 wrote:
mathdon
davecs

Yes, it looks good.
Ant1375

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Ant1375 wrote:
mathdon
davecs

Yes, it looks good.

Fantastic thanks for confirming. Also thanks to davecs for the help. Looking forward to learning more.
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant1375 wrote:
mathdon wrote:
Ant1375 wrote:
mathdon
davecs

Yes, it looks good.

Fantastic thanks for confirming. Also thanks to davecs for the help. Looking forward to learning more.

You'll be pleased to know that Graham (Mathdon) has just released version 3.0.0 of this amazing software, meaning that it fully supports the ability of the 3661 and its relatives to re-purpose the Activity buttons, and all the other little discoveries that a number of us made when testing out this remote.

It's here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103298
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: