JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:08 am    Post subject: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

Edit: I have replaced RMIR v2.15.0 in the RMIR Development folder with v2.15.8. This is a release candidate for the next public build, which will be numbered v3.0.0 in view of the major additions and revisions that have been incorporated in the v2.15 builds.

I have posted RMIR v2.15.0 in the RMIR Development folder on SourceForge. This is a major overhaul of RMIR that affects all remotes, but in particular the XSight remotes and the URC-3660 and related remotes. Here are some of the main features:
    * Clashes are identified in all remotes. A clash is two or more macros on the same button, or two or more key moves, special functions or learned signals on the same device/button combination. Only the first one will be uploaded to the remote. The others are highlighted in pink and will be saved in a .rmir file but not uploaded and so will not be present in a download. A pink cell turns red when selected.

* Potential conflicts are identified in all remotes. These are two items that would clash if they were in the same table, such as a key move and a learned signal on the same device/button combination. All will be uploaded and saved in a .rmir file, but all are highlighted in yellow to indicate that they clash with something on a different table. A yellow cell turns brown when selected.

* In remotes that support more than one type of macro, the recently added facility to be able to select the macro type when creating a new macro or DSM (device-specific macro) has been extended. There is now no monitoring to prevent you from creating macros of more than one type on the same button, or device/button combination for DSMs. The clash mechanism replaces this, as only the first will be uploaded to the remote. You can select which one, simply by using the up/down buttons to re-order the entries, and the highlighting will adjust accordingly.

* As a consequence of these changes to macro support, it is now possible to choose whether to create a normal macro or an item of a multimacro if both the button and the remote support this. For most remotes there is no practical difference between a normal macro or a multimacro with just one element, but it has recently been found that the URC-3660 and related remotes do behave differently.

* The Macros table in remotes that support more than one type now has a new column that shows the type of each macro, as normal, realtime, controlled, or a multi item.

* Another newly discovered feature of the URC-3660 and related remotes is that Activities can be disabled, so allowing the Activity buttons to be used as normal buttons by placing key moves or macros on them. This is now supported by a new checkbox item, "Disable Activities", on the Advanced menu that is visible only on remotes that support this. Besides the URC-3660 and related remotes, the only other one I am aware of is the URC-7145. This item need only be accessed when it is required either to disable activities when they are enabled, or to enable them when they are disabled, as RMIR recognises the present state on a download or file load and sets the option accordingly.

* There are also a number of changes to the support for XSight remotes, to better reflect the capabilites of these remotes, but I will not go into detail here as they will be apparent when using RMIR with one of these remotes.
I have tested this version fairly thoroughly, but the changes are so extensive that some bugs will almost certainly remain. Please report any bugs in this thread so that they can be fixed before a full release is made. Any other comments are of course also welcome.

Last edited by mathdon on Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:33 am; edited 4 times in total
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's my afternoon taken care of!
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

Impressive,
Major overhaul is an understatement
I lot of time and work went into this
I must say I like that Clashes and conflicts are identified
that alone must have been mind boggling to write
and I love how disable activities works

Great Job
Thanks Graham
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things straight away:

1. RMDU won't run from the .desktop file. I get this error:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l1945lrwtqnkuvr/rmdu-error.png?dl=0

However, RMDU does run from within RMIR, and RMIR and RMPB do run from their .desktop files.

2. I loaded an rmir file saved by 2.14.18, and a number of MultiDSMs have been loaded as plain DSMs. A check in the Segment display shows them to have been interpreted as Type 01. However, if I download from the remote, they correctly show as MultiDSMs and in the Segment display as Type 02.

The MultiDSMs were on the STOP button to add EJECT function on a long press. I don't know whether that's deliberate as it's not documented that you can have MultiDSMs on STOP, but it does work.

I tried replacing one of the macros, and saved the file, and this time, when I re-opened it, it was still there as a MultiMacro, so the problem appears to be loading rmir files created with the previous version.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:55 am    Post subject: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

You are correct RMDU won't run from the .desktop file
it also will not run from "File"- "New"-"Device upgrade"
It will run from devices tab "New" thougth
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
Impressive,
Major overhaul is an understatement
I lot of time and work went into this
I must say I like that Clashes and conflicts are identified
that alone must have been mind boggling to write
and I love how disable activities works

Great Job
Thanks Graham

I second this. As the new RMIR, on loading my rmir file from 2.14.18, turned all my MultiDSMs into DSMs I couldn't edit them back so I had to redo them. All the duplicates were highlighted making it easier to find and remove them.

The disable activities feature is great. After I had followed the instructions involving upload/download/preserve-original-data/delete-entries/upload again, the number of times I almost overwrote the original, annotated file ... ! It adds lots of power to the 3660/1/80 family.

I'm sure the problems identified are small oversights.

By the way, I'll test the edited settings with the remote when everyone else goes to bed this evening. I expect they'll be fine though.

I can also report that, when loading old files for my 6440 remote, everything was just fine.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
1. RMDU won't run from the .desktop file.

Thanks for pointing this out. I have fixed this for the next build.

Quote:
2. I loaded an rmir file saved by 2.14.18, and a number of MultiDSMs have been loaded as plain DSMs.

At present, this is a puzzle to me. The puzzle is not why it happens in v2.15.0, it is why it doesn't happen in v2.14.18. Something is happening in v2.14.18 that at present I do not understand. I will have to investigate this in more detail later.

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
I must say I like that Clashes and conflicts are identified, that alone must have been mind boggling to write.

I don't think it would have been possible as a bolt-on to the way macros and so on were previously processed in RMIR. This had been built up gradually by bolting-on new bits as UEI came out with new features and new ways of storing data and was really rather a mess. I decided to think it out afresh, to give it a more logical structure that would encompass all of UEI's variants. This required a major rewrite but then the clash and conflict identification fitted naturally into the new structure.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The corrected file that I made in 2.15, I saved a copy and went to another linux partition, where I still have 2.14.18 running. I opened it in 2.14.18 and it appeared fine, but when I uploaded it to my remote, using the hack that enables macros on the Activity keys, said activity keys did not operate. I saved it back from 2.14.18, then returned to the original partition and loaded it into 2.15. Now the MultiDSMs had become plain DSMs again.

I loaded the corrected file made in 2.15 back into 2.15, turned off Activities, and uploaded it. And everything worked as expected.

From the point of view of the 3660/1/80, the only problem is that of MultiDSMs from 2.14.18 becoming plain DSMs in 2.15.

Maybe the thing is not to understand what was strange about 2.14.18, but add something to recognise its files and convert them. Or even a one-off convertor, as this won't be a problem for users of these remotes who start with 2.15.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not backward compatibility, files created in v2.15.0 that use new features will not load in earlier versions. There is supposed to be forward compatibility, so files created in v2.14.18 should load into v2.15.0 with the accuracy that they would have in v2.14.18. That is why I am puzzled. I thought there was an ambiguity in .rmir files saved with v2.14.18, with normal macros being saved identically to multimacros containing a single macro. Indeed, looking at the files I cannot see the difference. But v2.14.18 DOES see a difference. That is what I still have to investigate.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:

At present, this is a puzzle to me. The puzzle is not why it happens in v2.15.0, it is why it doesn't happen in v2.14.18. Something is happening in v2.14.18 that at present I do not understand. I will have to investigate this in more detail later.

I see what you mean, I just had a look at the two .rmirs in a text file, and the one made by 2.15 contained entries in the Special Functions texts, Multi= true or false, the one made by 2.14.18 did not. Obviously 2.14.18 made the distinction because of the contents of the mass of Hex earlier in the file, but I can see where that might be a bit of a pain to make sense of.

Maybe the upgrade to 2.15.x should come with a health warning, that it will be necessary to re-input any MultiDSMs as a one-off exercise, as this only affects a tiny number of remotes.

EDIT — I wrote the above before your most recent post.
davecs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just logged into my other partition with the previous version of RMIR. What I think has happened is that somehow 2.14.18, on loading an rmir file that it has produced, is using the segment data to reverse-engineer the entries at the end of the file, to find out whether they are normal DSMs/Macros or Multi. For example, the last entry on my Special Functions page for a normal DSM is

dev8 TVbtn DSM Audio 0B "switch to Audio"

The corresponding segment is:

E52E 0008 01 FF 0A 39 01 0B

and the setting in the RMIR reads:

[DSMFunction]
Internal=true
Data=0B
Notes=Switch to Audio
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=57
DeviceIndex=10

The first MultiDSM is:

BluRay 18 DSM Shift-Stop 92 Eject

The first Type 02 macro in the Segments is:

E536 0009 02 FF 0C 12 01 01 92

and the corresponding section in rmir file is:

[DSMFunction]
Internal=true
Data=92
Notes=Eject
SegmentFlags=255
KeyCode=18
DeviceIndex=12

When loading from the rmir file, RMIR 2.14.18 got its information from the "Type" indicator in the related segment. It has to be, because that seems to be the only place in the .rmir file (at that version) that the information is stored.

Unless I missed something...
jmezz13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like this! It eliminates the need for a workaround for both the activity keys and the colored "Multimacro" keys on the 3660. My test file from 2.14.18 had only a DSM on the colored keys and this transferred over to 2.15.0 just fine and worked straight away. I then tested a MultiDSM on the colored keys with a device function assigned as well and it correctly executed the function on a short press and the multimacro on the long press. This also works on the Power Key for a non-device specific macro and retains the device specific power key functions. No bugs to report so far - I didn't test for bugs already reported.

I also tested 2.15.0 with an OARUSB04G Extender and all seems well.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I also really like the clash feature and that conflicting macros are retained in the rmir but not uploaded. It makes it really easy to change your mind and just reorder the macros for the desired precedence.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:21 am    Post subject: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

davecs wrote:
Just logged into my other partition with the previous version of RMIR.

Why are you using your other partition to go back to the previous version of RMIR ?
Several versions can exist on the same partition and not interfere with each other
I have all the recent versions on my xubuntu and simply using my file manager
(which by the way I prefer Caja) I run the version i want to test/compare to other versions
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 6:37 am    Post subject: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

I just love the Disable Activities choice
It works great and easier than my work around
Its nice to be able to have some extra buttons
I honestly did not think it would be possible to add this feature to RMIR
Before RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release I was also playing around with activities in a different manner.
Instead of disabling them I wanted to see if device "DVD" is hidden in there somewhere
Perhaps people would use activities more if "DVD" were also available
But since there does not seem to be a "MAP" for "DVD" I assume it just is not available by the manufacturers choice.
I don/t remember how I did it but I even had an activity set up that activated 5 of the 8 device buttons at once on my 3680. It was only sending the "tv" code though
With the power of RMIR v2.15. I now have more options for experimenting

Thanks Graham
davecs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: RMIR v2.15.0 pre-release for testing Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
davecs wrote:
Just logged into my other partition with the previous version of RMIR.

Why are you using your other partition to go back to the previous version of RMIR ?
Several versions can exist on the same partition and not interfere with each other
I have all the recent versions on my xubuntu and simply using my file manager
(which by the way I prefer Caja) I run the version i want to test/compare to other versions

Good question. Thanks to the wonders of symlinks, both installs address the same personal data areas, so it's not a great hardship. I have some idiosyncratic ways of dealing with things. Mind you, while I'm waiting for the next thing to test, I might add links to the old versions, which, as you rightly say, can be installed (and are) alongside each other. It's just that I couldn't be bothered to do the links yesterday, just wanted to get on with it.

Last edited by davecs on Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: