JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA RCRB05BR (R31794) not found
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xonewm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRB05BR (R31794) not found Reply with quote

New to JP1 and over my head so far.
Remember reading posts related to the remote I am using but not having any luck finding them.
I have been unable to access my RCA RCRB05BR (R31794) with IR8.03 or RMIR v2.14.16. Also IR7.15.
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.
I purchased a cable from diygadget.com specified as "JP1.2/1.3 (FLASH) USB Cable for Universal Remotes (FTDI Chip)".
I installed multiple drivers recommended on JP1 forum. Did not install any Delcom drivers.
When the cable is plugged into usb a USB Serial Port(COM7) appears under Ports in Device Manager. Driver is FTDI v2.12.36.4 7/05/2021.
A USB Serial Converter also appears as the last entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Driver is FTDI v2.12.36.4 7/05/2021.

Keep getting message indicating no jp1.x remote found.

Any help would be appreciated.
Would like to be sure before pointing fingers at the cable vendor.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's worth spending too much time trying to debug a DIYGadget cable, as many folks have had problems with those. You'd be much better of buying an actual FTDI cable.
xonewm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:12 am    Post subject: FTDI cable? Reply with quote

Can you recommend a trust worthy cable?
Possibly with a link?

Considering the cost, I thought I was purchasing a quality cable.
I've read lots of negative comments about diygadget cables since ordering.

Was hoping problems were a thing of the past considering the age of the posts.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xonewm wrote:
Keep getting message indicating no jp1.x remote found.

I think it worth persisting with your DIYgadget cable as it is being recognized by Windows and has an FTDI chip. If the error is not with the cable, it will probably still occur with a different one. But your message is no help in diagnosing what is wrong. Please repeat what you did with RMIR (not IR.exe, which is long since obsolete) to get this message, then close RMIR, open your RMIR installation folder and find the file rmaster.err. Please upload this file in the Diagnosis Area of our File Section and post a link to it in this thread for me to look at.
xonewm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRP05BR not found .err log Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.
Here is the concatenated .err log link

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26684
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the error log. It seems to show that you have JP11USB selected in the menu item Remote > Interface. Please change the selection to Auto-detect and try again. That is not the correct interface for your remote. If you really want to try a specific interface, the correct one is JP1.X Serial, but under normal circumstances Auto-detect is the best choice.

If neither of these work, please post the error file from an attempt with Auto-detect.
xonewm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRP05BR Auto detect error log Reply with quote

Auto detect error log:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26685
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the new file. Unfortunately it just shows that the correct interface, JP1.X Serial, is not finding the remote. I think I have a way for you to get better diagnostics, but I want to check first so will have to post about that later, when I have more time.
xonewm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:23 pm    Post subject: RCA RCRB05BR not found Reply with quote

Thanks very much.
My initial concern was I had purchased the wrong cable. I had hoped to find another user of this remote to verify I had the right cable.
Your attention is greatly appreciated.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your info from Device Manager shows that the cable is connecting properly to the PC with the correct device driver installed. We now need to check if it will communicate with the remote.

First of all, you DO need batteries in the remote when testing. Second, pin 1 of the 6-pin connector is the one furthest from the batteries and furthest from the indent that is on one side of the socket. Looking at its back with the remote upright, this is the pin on the top right. If you know which is pin 1 of your cable then you can get the connection right first time. If unfortunately you have no way of determining its pin 1 then you will need to try both ways.

For testing communication, I think the time has come to take RMIR out of the picture and use something more basic. Please download and read this document:

http://hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9507

on how to download and use RealTerm to test communication with a remote. I have just tried it myself with my RCRP05B to check that it works exactly as described. Please try it and report back on what you find.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: FTDI cable? Reply with quote

xonewm wrote:
Can you recommend a trust worthy cable?
Possibly with a link?

What you need is an FTDI FT232RL USB to Serial Adapter cable, with 6 connectors (some cables only have 4 and those won't work). You can get them on both ebay and Amazon.

I just looked on Amazon and found this one. I've not bought one of these myself, but I do expect that it will work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07T45CC8K

or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GZTCC6/

There's more info here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360

There's one important thing to know before you buy an FTDI cable though, none of them will come with the 2*3 connector that you need for JP1, they'll either come with 6 individual connectors or a single 1*6 connector. You will need to replace this with a 2*3 to use it for JP1. You can buy a bag of 2*3 connectors for cheap on ebay (there are links in the thread above), but others have taken the 1*6 connector and cut it in half and made it work.

Last edited by The Robman on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
xonewm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: 2 absent pins Reply with quote

Thanks Rob.
I will try the RealTerm you specified.

It appears there are only 4 wires in the JP1 connector of my cable.

Looking at the end it is

X O X
O O O

where X is no connector.
I'm at a loss as much of the info I found indicated 2 of the wires were not used.

I'll get back to you after I try RealTerm.
xonewm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:25 pm    Post subject: pix of usb end Reply with quote

I opened the USB connector. There are only 4 wires.

picture uploaded:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26687
xonewm

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: FTDI chip Reply with quote

Couldn't get a clear pic of the chip but it is branded as FTDI with FT231X label
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xonewm,
Pins 1 and 5 are typically not connected to the cable, so usually only 4 wires are populated in the cable connector. Look at the pins in your RCRP05B, and you'll see that pins 1, 3, and 5 are labeled. On your cable, socket 3 is populated, and 1 and 5 are not. Attach your cable so that socket 3 is connected to pin 3 on the JP2 connector. Then try RealTerm.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: