JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Denon Professional DN-T625 Combo Deck?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Denon Professional DN-T625 Combo Deck? Reply with quote

Anyone have a code list for one of these? It's a rack mounted combination CD player and cassette deck that was aimed at the pro sound market.

It has an IR sensor but I can find zero information out there, not even the model number of the remote or a picture of it. Before I went and started randomly trying stuff, I figured I would ask here if anyone had found anything, although based on the complete lack of information I found online, I am guessing no.

Frustratingly, while D+M are combusting rectums, the one thing they're good for is they do publish code lists for their gear. However, apparently Denon Professional is owned by InMusic, who I reached out to about 2.5 weeks ago and they haven't been arsed to even reply yet. The main purpose of my inquiry was to purchase a replacement belt kit, as the CD tray belt had stretched and fallen off, but I also did ask about codes because I figured that would be pretty easy. So, I currently having a gum band on the tray pulleys to get rid of the CD "tray error" message, and just use the buttons on the faceplate to operate it.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you need a user manual, but I did find one in my searching (even though it doesn't appear to include a remote):
https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/d/denon/denon-dn/212539-denon-dn-t625-owners-manual

As this is just a component (ie, CD and cassette), was it possibly designed to work from the A/V receiver's remote? I know I've had Kenwood gear that was designed like that.

In the meantime, try these:

Denon cassette deck:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=12991

Denon CD player:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1871

Denon A/V receiver:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13471
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13367

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
n8nagel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had to pull out a Harmony (GASP!) to test a thrift store LG 4K player and figured I would program in my whole stack just for giggles. They actually had codes for this unit but they only control the CD player side. I am guessing that this is because Logitech really, really doesn't like having multiple logical devices for one unit (ran into this when trying to get a Luxman TP-117 working; that was my original impetus to start using Xsights, and I actually did crack that nut.)

I'm suspecting that what it is is basically a more or less separate CD player and cassette deck in one chassis sharing a few components like a power supply, the IR board, etc. - so perhaps if I end up having a bout of insomnia I will shove in a generic program for a Denon cassette deck and see if that works as well. I suspect that there are codes to control it as very few of the front panel controls are mechanical, most seem to be little momentary electronic pushbuttons.

Yes, I know it has been a very long time since I've touched this, I have been real busy with other things, I need to make upgrades for not only that guy but a Sony TV as well. I suspect both will be relatively easy especially as I have the Sony original remote, I just haven't got to it.

Of course, the Harmony didn't have the discrete for the "Aux2" input on my receiver (at least they gave me the functionality to do a hacky workaround) whereas the half fast upgrade that I did for the Xsight at least includes that important function...

Edit: well I'm still up, and I decided to pick away at this; I started on the easiest component which was the Denon multi-deck. I knocked together a generic Denon CD upgrade based on pulling together the several upgrades that were in the file section, and did the same for a Denon cassette deck. It works! Just have to finish testing; I need to find a blank cassette to test record, test some of the functions of the CD deck (with a manual, because some of them are non obvious) and also figure out why the "0" button doesn't seem to work on the CD deck (on the remote; it works fine on the faceplate - unfortunately all three files in the file section agree it's OBC 75). I like to test everything before I call it good because if there's a button that has no function on my particular device, I don't want to assign it to a soft key. I also may brute force all the OBCs for the CD, because there are some features on this that I don't have buttons for (the pitch adjustment, for example) probably a waste of time, but I do like to document stuff...
ckeays

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
I also may brute force all the OBCs

just out of curiousity how do you accomplish this?
I only had to do this once. I used an Arduino IR transmitter I built
with one button, every time the button was pressed the command was incremented and sent.
Just wondering if there was an easier way to do this with a remote with a specific device code.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey N8, I see you loaded a file for the Denon AVR-S760H Zone 1 but you should also load the rest of the upgrade files (even if they're not complete yet) so I can check them against my master file. We may have other upgrades that use the same codeset (for different devices, maybe re-badged) and they might have some of the missing buttons.

ckeays wrote:
just out of curiosity how do you accomplish this?

The easiest way is to create test upgrades that contain all of the gap OBCs, then test the upgrade, keeping in mind that some buttons only work in certain modes of the device (eg, discrete on will only work when the device is off, etc), so you may need to run through the set a few times. When you find a button that does something, go back to RM to see which code you put on that button and make a note of it.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Hey N8, I see you loaded a file for the Denon AVR-S760H Zone 1 but you should also load the rest of the upgrade files (even if they're not complete yet) so I can check them against my master file. We may have other upgrades that use the same codeset (for different devices, maybe re-badged) and they might have some of the missing buttons.

That's all I did as I am not using zone 2. if you want the full data dump look at the spreadsheet in the Denon X8500H zip file in the code lists section. That's the sum total of my knowledge about these AVRs Smile

The Robman wrote:
ckeays wrote:
just out of curiosity how do you accomplish this?

The easiest way is to create test upgrades that contain all of the gap OBCs, then test the upgrade, keeping in mind that some buttons only work in certain modes of the device (eg, discrete on will only work when the device is off, etc), so you may need to run through the set a few times. When you find a button that does something, go back to RM to see which code you put on that button and make a note of it.

yep, what he said. I have had to do this for a blu-ray player before because I didn't have discrete power codes, and I also did it for a couple other devices because I wanted to make sure that we had everything. I want to say my Toshiba HD-DVD and maybe some others. Xsight Color has 30 soft keys, so once I know the protocol (either by guessing, or learning all the buttons on the original remote) I will just take a spreadsheet and copy/paste numbers into RMDU e.g. function name 1 is OBC 1, function name 2 is OBC 2, etc. then just upload to the remote and mash buttons and see which ones do stuff and which ones don't. Most protocols only have 254 possible OBCs per device so this isn't too bad once you get into it. Now something like the Denon-K of the AVR The Robman was referring to, that has 10 bits for the OBC data so 1023 possible OBCs, I would never attempt a full figuring out of that unit without the factory Denon document. Sometimes, you will have a device that does friendly stuff like this unit we're talking about, when it receives a code it recognizes, it flashes a little red dot on the display next to the IR receiver so you know that it got a valid code even if it does nothing, then you can concentrate on seeing what those do.

That said, Denon Professional was apparently sold off to InMusic a while back, and the only thing I've got from them is an automated response to my inquiry, not even a reply, which is why I'm brute forcing this. This device is unique in that it apparently didn't ship with an IR remote originally but has a receiver, so I don't know if I got all the possible functions. There are buttons on the face that I don't have codes for right now, and I am guessing at least some of them may exist. I've got issues with Denon's consumer electronics division, but at least they make these docs available. Sony is unhelpful also, they simply refuse to share the information. Wouldn't having your equipment working perfectly for your customers be a positive when it comes time to buy new? Apparently they don't think so... so far only Denon (consumer) and Oppo have provided documentation to make this process easy for a device when you're starting from scratch.

I'm going to play with this a bit now, if nothing else, at least I've pulled together all the Denon CD and cassette known codes into two upgrades which is something. I haven't uploaded them yet because I'm still playing.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I just searched again and for whatever reason I just now discovered that the original remote is a Denon RC-U620. Unfortunately I cannot find one for sale anywhere. I do see that it has pitch control buttons on it, though, so you know what I am going to have to do now...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
That's all I did as I am not using zone 2. if you want the full data dump look at the spreadsheet in the Denon X8500H zip file in the code lists section. That's the sum total of my knowledge about these AVRs Smile

I was actually talking about the Denon Professional DN-T625 Combo Deck.

And just FYI, there are usually 256 possible OBC codes, 0-255.

I also use spreadsheets, what I do is, first I copy/paste the list of button names for this remote from RM over to Excel, then I enter in all the gab OBCs, sometimes using formula for the ones where there are a lot of numbers in sequence, then I copy this to the Functions tab in RM. Next, I go to the Buttons tab and use the auto-assign function to assign them all to buttons.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK... well I did upload the cassette upgrade yesterday before I saw your message. I will hopefully finish the CD one in an hour or two. I doubt the cassette one has any new info for you however as I am pretty sure that one of the files I used to start it was yours to begin with.

Sounds like we use a similar method for finding new OBCs, in my case I only use the soft keys and that way the key is labeled with the OBC while I'm making notes on the laptop as I test.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft keys? You must be using a Nevo/Xsight type remote, I'm using a fixed button remote when I do it, and I'm usually testing over 200 button codes at once, so I'll pick whichever device mode has the most buttons, then load all of them, then repeat it for all 6 device buttons, so I have a regular remote that is fully loaded with gap button codes. As this started with a spreadsheet, when I do find a button that does something, I just enter the function in the spreadsheet.

Here's Nate's cassette upgrade:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26640
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Soft keys? You must be using a Nevo/Xsight type remote, I'm using a fixed button remote when I do it, and I'm usually testing over 200 button codes at once, so I'll pick whichever device mode has the most buttons, then load all of them, then repeat it for all 6 device buttons, so I have a regular remote that is fully loaded with gap button codes. As this started with a spreadsheet, when I do find a button that does something, I just enter the function in the spreadsheet.

Here's Nate's cassette upgrade:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26640

Yep! Xsight Color. Swiss Army knife for this stuff because I can learn to it as well.

I'm still working on the CD upgrade, I have found exactly three new OBCs - the "0" that this deck uses, Pitch Up, and Pitch Down. The latter two being pretty useless because there's no "Pitch" button on the remote, so you still have to hit the button on the faceplate to use that function, which you wouldn't anyway in a normal home hi-fi setting. Oh well. I've determined which OBCs from the old upgrades have no function (because of the little red "receive" dot) and am currently just testing the last few keys to make sure their functions match their labels. A lot of work for just a couple buttons, but I'm all OCD.
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the CD upgrade

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26641

there are three buttons that light the receive light that I cannot figure out what they do. They are noted as such in the comments, but this is usable now.

There are actually a couple more functions on the Harmony program for a Denon CD that I do not have in my upgrade (because they don't have a function on this particular player so I can't test them)

Power Toggle (the 625 has a physical power switch)
Disc
Disc Skip
Fader
Pure Direct
Tamper Proof

If I'm REAL bored I might learn those, add them to the upgrade, and document them but right now I'm moving on to the TV. If anyone comes across this thread and wants me to do it though because their player uses these functions and they don't have the original remote let me know.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8nagel wrote:
... Pitch Up, and Pitch Down. The latter two being pretty useless because there's no "Pitch" button on the remote, so you still have to hit the button on the faceplate to use that function, which you wouldn't anyway in a normal home hi-fi setting...

Are you 100% sure there's no "Pitch" button? If so, that would be really weird, I mean, why create the buttons to adjust it if there's no button to activate it?
n8nagel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
n8nagel wrote:
... Pitch Up, and Pitch Down. The latter two being pretty useless because there's no "Pitch" button on the remote, so you still have to hit the button on the faceplate to use that function, which you wouldn't anyway in a normal home hi-fi setting...

Are you 100% sure there's no "Pitch" button? If so, that would be really weird, I mean, why create the buttons to adjust it if there's no button to activate it?

It is indeed very strange. You can use the Pitch Up and Pitch Down buttons to change the percentage pitch change (+/- 12.0%) on the display, but you have to actually hit the "Pitch" button on the faceplate to get the pitch off zero. (it appears to work like the pitch adjustment on a SL-1200 Mk2 turntable, but adjusts in 0.1% increments. I believe if you raise the pitch you also speed up playback, but I cannot confirm or deny this as I haven't played with the function enough.) I did check every OBC there is however. Someday I may go back and check all the unassigned OBCs again but I'm pretty sure I tried everything. The only thing I can think is I should have checked them all with the pitch set off zero, but if you hit the "pitch" faceplate button even while it's on zero, the "Pitch %" indicator lights up. And there's no "Pitch" button on the original remote either. Go figure.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Pitch is to be found under one of the other device codes (ie, 2,4,6,12)? If it does exist, I bet it has its own unique OBC, so you could exclude all the known OBCs if you were to try searching under the other device codes.

I've started compiling a list of all the known functions here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26644
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: