JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

urc-3680
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

This subject will either be a dead end or for another thread.
The URC3660 and others are powerful remotes Feature wise
There are no extenders for segmented remotes.
I have been playing with this idea and need input to see if it is worth it.
Instead of writing code I was playing with the idea of adding segments
I have done a lot of hacking of the segments of the URC-3660/3680
and no matter what i do i have not bricked it or harm it in anyway.
For instance, lets say i want to add a 9th device to these remotes
I can add a device segment but i will also need a button map which i am at a loss for how to do that
So am i just crazy.
what do you think of this idea of playing around with the segments?
I am willing to use my remotes as Guinea pigs for testing in case this idea kills the remote

BTW Graham I have not found anything of use with segment 11 the upgrade assignments segment

Randy
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but it is a non-starter. You can't add a new device by adding segments to the remote. It doesn't determine how many devices it has by counting device segments. The segments merely provide a repository for data associated with each device. If it were that easy, we would have done it long ago. The same is true for other segment types, you cannot add features just by adding segments. The remote needs code to process them.

The only remote with segments that has an extender is the URC6440 and its US counterpart the OARUSB04G. My extender for that does indeed increase the number of devices, from 4 to 12, but those remotes are unique in that they appear to the PC as an external disc. The user can upload a file called settings.bin that includes much of the OS of the device as well as the setup data that can be uploaded by RMIR. I presume UEI did this so that it could issue firmware upgrades, but I took advantage to write my own upgrade.

As for the type 11 segment, it is used by the URC6440 if you download an upgrade from the UEI simpleset.com website. I haven't seen this segment in the URC3660. If you have a setup with it in, I would be interested to see it.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

Here is a zip file of URC-3660 with segment 11
I found segment 11 by adding it to the SegmentTypes line

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26656
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

I just downloaded another 3660 this one has segments 11 and 18

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=26657
dtrump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

The Robman

I posted a message to this thread yesterday that has not shown up in 24 hours. In the message, I mentioned that I was no longer getting notifications of new messages.

Did I violate some rule?

Dick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: urc-3680 Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
Did I violate some rule?

Maybe with your ISP but not with us.
dtrump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

I suspect it might have been because I did not fill in the Subject line - assuming it wasn't needed since I was posting a reply.

My reason for not posting for a couple weeks is because I thought there was no activity since I hadn't received notifications. I did receive a notification for your mesaage, Rob.

In my lost message yesterday, I made an offer to send the URC-3680 to someone in a better position to evaluate the issues than I am. I received the remote at no cost as an Amazon Vine reviewer. I had spent the past 5 or so years using Harmony remotes in my home system. I had been introduced to them while being requested to use them for an installation I was working on for a Golden State Warriors sales center. My wife liked them, so it made sense at the time. Now that Logitech has pulled the plug on them, I'm looking at a return to JP1 remotes.

Coincidentally, I'm programming an old 10820 for my church for a TV/Bluray combination found itself with no remotes. Nobody seems to know where they went.

Dick
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
In my lost message yesterday, I made an offer to send the URC-3680 to someone in a better position to evaluate the issues than I am.

That would probably need to be me. I would welcome it but I am in the UK and mailing can be costly. If you would like me to investigate your issues and are still prepared to send it, please send me a PM and I will let you have my postal address.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any tests that Dick could run before he sends in that might help resolve any issues?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, I don't think so. He seems to have found behaviour that is not compatible with the firmware in his URC3680 being the same as that of the URC3660 despite them having the same signature. That to me is what needs further investigation.
dtrump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

Graham - Having seen your signature on much of the discussion, I was afraid it might be you.

At this point I am making use of the 3680 in attempting create a workable 10820 for my church. It involves a Hisense TV that does not match either RDMU in the Device Upgrades. The 3680 provided some erratic results but was inhibited by some other programming that was left in place from my home experiments. I'm hoping to simply learn the few keys on the 10820 from the 3680 that are needed in the setting.

The process of building that is problematic since it is about a 20 minute drive between home where my programming tools are and the church. I have now cleaned the 3680 of other stuff and will give it another try.

So, my offer is off the table at the moment. I'll see how useful it is to me for other needs before I decide to give it up.

Dick
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dtrump wrote:
So, my offer is off the table at the moment. I'll see how useful it is to me for other needs before I decide to give it up.

That is absolutely fine. Just let me know if you do decide to give it up. There is certainly no hurry.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

Graham

Since I have an interest in this Remote anyway and
Unless someone else does before then. i will send a URC-3680 out to you on Tuesday

Randy
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: urc-3680 Reply with quote

HamburgerHelper1 wrote:
Graham

Since I have an interest in this Remote anyway and
Unless someone else does before then. i will send a URC-3680 out to you on Tuesday

Thank you very much. That would be most welcome and is very kind of you.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: urc-3680 Reply with quote

Package is in the mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: