JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 USB Connector Issues "No remotes found!"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: JP1 USB Connector Issues "No remotes found!" Reply with quote

I have a parallel cable that I built in 2014 (maybe earlier) and it works with my old Win XP machine. But now I'm trying to update and make a simple USB connector and run RMIR.v2.13.

My current remotes (3) are the URC-8910B02 which are the ones I want to update. I ordered the 6Pin PL2303HXD USB to RS232 TTLCable module. Took the pins out and put them back in a 2x3P plug, in the ordered shown here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16360.

6Pin PL2303HXD USB to RS232 TTLCable module: https://www.ebay.com/itm/263711562462

Pin - color
2 -- Yellow
3 -- Black
4 -- Green
6 -- White

Windows 10 was able to automatically load the drivers, and as far as I know, it's OK. It shows up in the Ports (COM &LPT) as a Prolifiic USB to Serial Comm, Driver version: 3.8.40.0. The problem is that when I connect the remote, RMIR will not recognize it, "No remotes found!". Any ideas what could be wrong? What am I Missing here? cables are in the correct order based on the above instructions. I'm questioning the drivers if they are correct for this USB connector.

I notice this message on the Event driver properties window. Device USB\VID_067B&PID_2303\6&26938aa&0&5 requires further installation. not sure if that is relevant.

I know this question is been ask multiple times but I cannot find a solution to this problem. Thanks for your help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have the wrong cable for your remote. The best solution today for your old remote is an Aurduino programmed for the JP1 EEPROM interface:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=102890

Last edited by mdavej on Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
leop

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks. I thought I could use that cable. Now I'm more confused than before. Is there and easy way to retrofit a cable to a JP1 connector? Also, I get an error on that link.

Maybe time to retired those remotes, or save my WinXP machine with IR804. Thanks again.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIYGadget and Tommy Tyler used to sell adapters, but I don't think they do anymore.

I think I fixed the link. If not, search forum for Arduino.
leop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link. I been there before many times but I was not sure I understand that graph (in the instructions) and that seems more complicated than I wanted to get into.
I still see instructions how to connect to a JP1 remote with that particular cable or a variation of that cable. Plese, take a look at post bellow. I asume you are more aware of all these posts.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17185

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=135434&sid=c52d288c1a800ca8cba20a4ec1b512be

I assume based on those instructions that as long as I can buy a FTDI cable and can re-locate the correct wires I would be in business.

What about this connector? can it be used
https://www.ebay.com/itm/164440385664?hash=item2649692880:g:a28AAOSwrhNcXaNf

Thanks
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not a matter of moving the wires. It won’t work unless you also get the JP1 EEPROM adapter linked. You may still be able to order here:
https://www.diygadget.com/remote-control-accessories/jp1-2-1-3-to-jp1-adapter

But you’re looking at close to $30 for both when all is said and done. Arduino or a new remote would be cheaper.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first two posts you link to use a JP1.x FTDI cable with a JP1 EEPROM adapter that is no longer available. The third one is just a JP1.x FTDI cable with individual pin connectors, despite the mention of Arduino in the title.

Your only current option is to use an Arduino Nano. This does not need a JP1.x cable, the only cables required are to connect the USB ports of the Arduino and your PC and to connect certain Arduino pins to the remote. I suggest you download development build RMIR v2.13.7 from the RMIR Development folder. Its installation folder includes a subfolder JP1EEPROMSupport that contains both full instructions and also the Arduino sketch (Arduino name for its programs) needed. This folder is not in the current official release, you need to get this development build to find it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
It's not a matter of moving the wires. It won't work unless you also get the JP1 EEPROM adapter linked. You may still be able to order here:

All recent attempts to order from, or otherwise contact, DIYGadget have failed. The firm appears to have disappeared even though the website is still active.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
mdavej wrote:
It's not a matter of moving the wires. It won't work unless you also get the JP1 EEPROM adapter linked. You may still be able to order here:

All recent attempts to order from, or otherwise contact, DIYGadget have failed. The firm appears to have disappeared even though the website is still active.
Thanks for the confirmation Graham. I've updated the original thread with the latest info.
leop

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I got it know! I was confused that the JP1 connector would use the same cable connector as the JP1.1, JP1.2, etc. That is not the case. Somehow i missed the fact that that cable is for JP1.X remotes and not for the JP1. Thank you for taking the time to explain.

So, no one is been able to figure out what's inside that shrink-wrapped tube and make more adapters?

I guess I'm keeping my WinXP machine! in till I have time (and drive) to play with an Arduino. Is there one (or more) preferred Arduino devices that work better than others?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leop wrote:
Is there one (or more) preferred Arduino devices that work better than others?

All Arduino devices work equally well, but if you are buying one specially for this then the simplest one will do. This is either a Nano clone (the cheapest option) or the newer version that is called the Nano Every. The main difference for this purpose is simply that the Nano clone has a mini-USB socket and the Nano Every has a micro-USB one. You probably have several micro-USB cables already but may not have an older mini-USB one, in which case you would need to think of the cost of the cable when deciding which is the cheapest option in total for you.

As for making more adapters, the design is public but why do so? The Arduino solution is cheaper than any combination of JP1.x cable and adapter would be, and works at least as well.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leop wrote:
So, no one [has] been able to figure out what's inside that shrink-wrapped tube and make more adapters?

The "JP1 EEPROM Adapter" was designed by Kevin Timmerman, who also designed the initial versions of the incredibly handy 'IR Widget'. It's all open-design and open-source code, thanks to Kevin. Smile Smile Smile

While I don't intend this to contradict mathdon's wise advice in any way, Kevin's design (with nice, clear schematic) and the firmware (both as a source file and as a hex file for immediate uploading) are still available here (on Kevin's own website), for those so-inclined:

http://www.compendiumarcana.com/jp1epa/

No need to pierce the shrinkwrap! It's a grand total of 6 parts: PIC 12HV609 microcontroller (breadboard-friendly DIP version is $1.18 at Digikey, with 780 in stock), 2 resistors, 1 capacitor, and 2 connectors! The real "magic" is in Kevin's (open-source) firmware.
leop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys, WagonMaster and mathdon. I appreciate you help and the links to those projects. And really all of the other guys that have worked/played hard to develop this cool hobby. My problem is that I log-in only when I have a new device to add or tweak to my remote. I been using the old serial port adapter and trying to avoid the relearning the the new USB,etc.,new connectors.

I think the Arduino device seems like the easiest to do. No need to pull out the old soldering gun out for that project. Looks like I can pickup 3 with cables for 19.00, that's not problem, especially if I can figure out how to make it work. lol

https://www.amazon.com/REXQualis-Board-ATmega328P-Compatible-Arduino/dp/B07WK4VG58?dchild=1

BTW, I had some Titans URC 2056 JP1.4 remotes and was able to use that 6Pin PL2303HXD USB to RS232 TTLCable. Not sure that I will re-program those like my other remotes, but at least I can play around with them. Copy a couple of macros to the other remotes.

So what cool remote(s) is out there that would be similar to the URC-8910? I like a small display but real buttons and batteries that last long time. That SofaBaton U1 looks good but no backlight.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leop wrote:
So what cool remote(s) is out there that would be similar to the URC-8910? I like a small display but real buttons and batteries that last long time. That SofaBaton U1 looks good but no backlight.
Problem with the display is that it's going to reduce the battery life.

The last remote with a display that UEI made was the Xsight line. You can still get those on ebay. I have at least a dozen spares I'd be willing to part with cheap if you're interested. The beauty of the Xsight is it just uses a standard USB cable, no JP1 type interface at all. Here's some detailed info on the Xsight.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Xsight_and_Nevo

I recharge my Xsight Touch about once a month. If I turn the backlit time down to 5 seconds, I can also get about a month out of my AA rechargeables in an Xsight Color (non-touchscreen, non-RF version).

If you can live without a display, I don't think you can beat the Inteset 422. It's a fantastic remote, great ergos, great form factor, lots of buttons, has an extender and learning and is widely available. A close second is the OARUSB04G, but has less buttons and is getting harder to find. You need to load the extender to get 12 devices and 12 activity macros. It doesn't have a screen either.
leop

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mdavej, Yes, you are correct, the screen consumes more energy and that's why I had a simple LCD. I change batteries about 1 time per year on the URC-8910.

That Xsight look very nice. I like it! How much you want for it? I was thinking on going and buying something, but was not sure which one I would like. And maybe I need to embrace the new devices and go for the bluetooth remotes.

The Inteset 422 lis nice. It looks very similar to my cable provider's remotes, the Titans URC 2056 (JP1.4). I got about 6 of those laying around, but never thought about programing those in till a few days ago when I assembled that USB cable. The OARUSB04G is too basic now. I have some old Radio Shack remotes with 2 times more buttons than that one, Lol

How about the Logitec Harmony 665? I assume battery life is terrible. I'm mostly worried about their web software... eventually they will take it down.

Thanks for the remote recommendations/ideas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: