JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RF Capabiities of URC2125
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DDE12

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:25 pm    Post subject: RF Capabiities of URC2125 Reply with quote

After reading RF Support in RMIR, I obtained a 2125 and it came with a universal RF4CE to IR adapter. I have ordered some parts to make a USB cable for it so I have not yet played around it RMIR with it. I wanted to ask some initial questions, as I might need some more equipment to test it out. Is the remote itself a packet sniffer using RF tools? Could the 2125 possibly be used to communicate with the Harmony hub?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
Is the remote itself a packet sniffer using RF tools?

No. The RF tools read a .psd file that is created by a separate packet sniffer. There are links in the support thread you quoted to a suitable packet sniffer. If you have not already done so, I suggest you play around with the files in the RFToolsTest folder to see what information they provide.

Quote:
Could the 2125 possibly be used to communicate with the Harmony hub?

I'm afraid I know nothing about Harmony remotes so cannot help on this.

I would be interested to know where you bought your 2125 from, as mine did not come with an RF4CE to IR adapter and I would quite like to obtain one.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ebay add has it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234224013404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
DDE12

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link in MaskedMan's post is where I got mine. The model number on the adapter is MXv4 RF2IR Dongle. Let me know if you cannot get one in or to the UK and we'll sort something out. There is the URC-6251BCO/Motorola MXv4RF remote that also comes with that dongle. We have the URC-6250BCO Bell Fibe remote in our RMDU list, so I wonder if the 6251 is jp1.
I'm thinking this RF2IR dongle is like a stripped down Harmony hub. Here is some information on the Harmony hub. It looks like a 2544 sniffer would be needed for the 2544 chip. This might eliminate the possibility of the URC2125 from communicating with the Harmony hub.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
Let me know if you cannot get one in or to the UK and we'll sort something out.

That supplier does not ship to the UK and I can find no other supplier. I would be happy to reimburse you for the cost of buying one for me and the shipping cost to the UK if you would be so kind as to get one for me.

I haven't looked yet at what you say about the Harmony hub and will get back to you on that later.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now looked at the link you provided about the Harmony hub and suspect that it is not compatible with the 2125. The 2125 uses the TI CC2530 chip, the Harmony hub apparently uses the TI CC2544 chip. The TI CC2544 is part of the CC254x family and its documentation says that it is compatible with the TI CC2541 that is used in the Bluetooth-enabled URC7980, 7880 and 7955 remotes. The User Guide for the CC2541 covers both the CC2541 and the CC253x series and they are not mutually compatible. The CC2541 is for Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) applications, the CC253x series is for IEEE 802.15.4 and ZigBee Applications (RF4CE is a Zigbee protocol). Now both BLE and Zigbee use 2.4 GHz radio and the CC2544 says simply that it is for 2.4 GHz Applications without further qualification, so it may also be compatible with the CC2530 series, but there is no mention of Zigbee in its user guide. Ultimately, compatibility depends on what protocol the Harmony hub uses. If it is Zigbee RF4CE then it may be compatible, if any other protocol then it is definitely not compatible.
DDE12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get one for you. I'll follow-up.
DDE12

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for looking at that. Yeah, looks like that is a "proprietary" protocol in the 2544 Sad and probably not worth digging into with a packet sniffer. It might be possible with a Harmony Hub Extender but they are discontinued and expensive on ebay. Maybe I could figure out something with a Zigbee/RF4CE to IR device or maybe the UEI RF4CE to IR can be hacked JP1-style. There is also this adapter. I will get one of the 6251 remotes and see if it is JP1.
HamburgerHelper1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:04 am    Post subject: RF Capabiities of URC2125 Reply with quote

I wish I had the time to contribute to this but anyway.
I have an old JP1 remote URC-9964B00 kameleon that is IR/RF that uses a RF to IR repeater. I have not downloaded anything yet because it has pads instead of pins so i need to make an adapter I also have not been able to get it to blink back its signature.
I have had it for years and hopefully as time permits i will try to do something with it
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
This ebay add has it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/234224013404?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The seller offered me deal on this for $15.00. All I did was look at it, never added to my watchlist.
DDE12

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that is how much I bought mine for. I have just purchased another for mathdon for $15 (it took a little doing because I had already purchased one). Mathdon, I'll PM you when it arrives and we'll sort out the shipping.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DDE12 wrote:
I have just purchased another for mathdon for $15 (it took a little doing because I had already purchased one). Mathdon, I'll PM you when it arrives and we'll sort out the shipping.

Many thanks. Have you got the 6251 yet that you said you would buy? If it is also JP1 then I would be very grateful for one of those, too, if you would be so kind. In that case I would suggest waiting to send them to me till you have both and can send them in a single package, to save on shipping costs.
DDE12

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6251 just arrived and I am down a rabbit hole. There are no pins or housing to connect a cable to but I found this. It looks like a CC2533 chip. Is this JP1 (RMIR) compatible with modification?

Take a look at the RF4CE devices on this list. The 6252 dongle is there (CC2533 also) and if the 6251 remote is JP1, I would think the dongle would be also to some degree. I looked at several of them and saw that some have that "test pin board" attached. The 6251 is better known as Motorola MXv4RF. After you see this stuff let me know if you still want a 6251 and can't get one or possibly another on that list. You might have better ability to get one of these other remotes. Let me know. I'm interested in what you think about all this. A caution to readers of this post that might want a 6251/MXv4RF: I saw some advertised on ebay that were actually 6250's on the sticker in the battery compartment and would not have RF.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for those excellent references you have linked to. I see that some of the 6521 internal photos show it connected to a 2x3-pin JP1-type connector with what appears to be 4 wires connected. There are 5 wires soldered to the remote PCB but the red one appears to be cut off, with only 4 connected. Those are connected to the 3 pins of one row with the black wire, ground from the PCB, connected to the middle pin of the other row. That is exactly the configuration of a JP1 connector. I know nothing about the wiring to the connected 3-pin row so cannot tell if it really is a JP1-compatible connector but it does seem promising.

I am not into doing hardware mods, or even into dismantling these remotes, so am only interested in actually having remotes that already have a JP1 connection. So thank you for the offer, but I don't want a 6521 but will be very grateful for the 2125BC0 with the RF dongle when you are ready to send it to me.

I have looked through the FCC list of UEI equipment and have found only two remotes that use RF4CE and also have a JP1 connector. One is the Cox URC-3220BC0-R (FCC ID MG3-3220) with a PCB dated June 2014. This uses a CC2533 chip and has an external 5-pin connector like the Cox URC-8820-MOTO and some other remotes. The other is the WOW Experience URC-2135BC0-R (FCC ID MG3-2135) with a PCB dated June 2016. This has a standard 6-pin connector in the battery compartment and uses a GreenPeak chip, the GP565. We have only seen one JP1 remote before with a GreenPeak chip, the GP541 (though the FCC photos show a GP561). GreenPeak is now part of Qorvo, who seem very secretive about their processors, very little public information is available. I have not been able to find either of these remotes available anywhere, though a search in the US may give different results. I would be very interested to hear if either of these remotes is available to buy, especially the Cox due to it using a Texas Instruments processor.
DDE12

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you will crack open the 6252 dongle so you can see if that will work with RMIR. I just put my converter together to connect the 2125 to RMIR and on first look it doesn't seem like I can do much with the RF to the dongle beyond the cable box codes in the dongle. I am willing to try to get a JP1 connection to the dongle, but I'm guessing RMIR will have to be tweaked. I open up a lot of stuff but it's usually to pull out boards to take to the scrap yard. It's the putting it back together that the will be the hill to climb. Are you aware of a tutorial of sorts on this site that would give me some guidance on figuring out where to solder wires? I'm interested/intrigued about the RF capabilities of these remotes because what JP1 IR did for my A/V equipment, JP1 RF might be able to do for my house and A/V equipment.

I can get the 3220-R and the 2135-R. Both are $10ish US with plenty of new 3220's available. There are fewer 2135's available and they are used. Do you want one of each or a preference for one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: